“Great place for a special occasion” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Morton's - The Steakhouse

Morton's - The Steakhouse
285 J St, San Diego, CA 92101 (Downtown)
619-696-3369
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Morton's - The Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #106 of 3,682 Restaurants in San Diego
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 2nd & 3rd Streets
Transit: Trolley stop
Description: Morton's The Steakhouse, the nation's premier steakhouse group, specializes in classic, hearty fare, serving generous portions of USDA prime aged beef, as well as fresh fish, lobster and chicken entrees. The menu, which is the same at all locations, features a variety of favorite cuts, including a 24 ounce porterhouse, which is the house specialty; a 16 ounce New York Strip and a 12 ounce double cut filet.
San Diego, CA
“Great place for a special occasion”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 19th anniversary with a visit to Morton's in San Diego. Our waitress, Kandi, was very helpful in explaining the menu details, and we definitely sampled quite a bit. We're not aficionados of steakhouses, but Morton's was worth the visit. We started with celebratory cocktails (the red velvet was lovely) and the stuffed shrimp appetizer. It's a good thing we ordered only one and split it because there were four very large shrimp, perfectly cooked and with a delightful crab stuffing. My husband's ribeye was cooked and seasoned exactly the way he likes it (and so large that it was dinner at home two nights later). I had the mixed grill with bacon-wrapped scallops (best scallops since the much-missed California Cuisine) and could have stopped there, but the petite filet mignon was very nice, if under-seasoned. The side dishes were lovely, but there could have been more than five asparagus stalks for the price. We were told the Lyonnaise potatoes had bacon, but we detected none -- but the potatoes were delicious, so no complaints there. Dessert was included at no charge since it was our anniversary. I'm glad we didn't pay for the souffle -- it was the only disappointment of the evening. I would definitely not order that again -- it barely tasted of chocolate, was a bit chalky and was more lumpy, almost liquid pudding than souffle. Morton's was an interesting and enjoyable experience, but given the extremely high cost, it's not something we'd be likely to repeat anytime soon. But I'd recommend it for a special occasion.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Turkish first
South Riding, Virginia
“Not a pleasant experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

A co-worker arranged a retirement dinner for another co-worker at Morton's. ok, I've always heard its pricey but what the heck I'll go anyway.

They had 5 tables set in a private room. Each table was set for, I think, 6 so we had roughly 30 people there.

Started out ok. They took drink orders and then dinner orders. I ordered a 6 oz filet. I believe the price was $38 (just for the steak - nothing else on the plate). I asked what their medium was like and I was told warm pink center. What's medium well? Cooked through. I ordered medium. My steak was significantly more rare that medium. Not great.

One table hadn't received their food until after the rest of us were done. There was conversation about you're a large group, still have to serve rest of clients in main dining room, etc. finally their good arrived. Someone pressed the server and finally it ended up all their sides and toppings were comped and their automatic tip was reduced.

An individual at my table asked that the remaining part if her steak (3/4 if it!) to be boxed. Time went by, she asked where her steak was and the server asked if she had checked in the floor by her chair. (Seriously? The server would put her to go box on the floor!?!?). It wasn't there. Server disappeared then came back. No steak. She said it had been pitched. You have fit to be kidding me. It was a $60 steak and you pitched $40 if it! Server offered to cook another one for her or give her one she could take home and cook herself. The attitude of the server was entirely rude and sarcastic. For the price we paid for this dinner, I would have expected far more professionalism from the staff!!!

Will not eat at Morton's again. AND the food was ok - certainly NOT worth the $85 unpaid for my meal.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Concord, NH
“All the elements- but the food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

My wife and I visited this location and found the ambiance, management, and wait staff excellent, but found the food wanting. No wow factor, just average. Flavor of steaks lacking, much in need of more seasoning. All ingredients there for success, but preparation of food needs attention to rise to level of cost.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Seattle, Washington, United States
“Run, do not walk, to this reliable institution”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

From the moment I arrived there was something comfortable and welcoming about this place. When on the road, I always end up at the local Morton's because I know the quality and service will be consistent and reliable.

This restaurant is no exception. From the moment I arrived until I walked out the door, the friendliness and care by the staff was spectacular. My Morton's salad was perfect-- almost like a Caesar with more flair-- and my steak nothing less than perfect.

Can't recommend this highly enough.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Diego, California
“Incredible Still”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

some people have complaine about minor changes to music and presentation the one thing that has not changed is there incredible service and food, our waiter alfonso was great we first had the hot platter which had oyster rockefeller, shrimp alexander, crabcake and bacon wrapped scallop all were very good, my wife had lobster bisque and i had chopped salad, once again awesome , my wife had cajun ribeye and i had chicago style bone in ribeye, both incredible, we had a great bottle of justin cab and shared a great legendary choc cake, incredible in every way.

• Visited March 2013