“Welcome, Chaplos!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 10th
“Welcome, Chaplos!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I had tickets to the symphony and wanted to find a good restaurant close by. Turns out that Copley partners with good restaurants, providing free parking for dinner and the symphony. Great idea. What a wonderful surprise to find Chaplos. It is a lovely restaurant with a great bar, happy hour, and dining rooms. Our server was outstanding and knowledgeable. He steered us toward the juicy 16 oz. bone in rib eye with double baked potato and asparagus wrapped in prosciutto with bleu cheese. The most delicious bites were of the steak with the side of chiles toreados. Unbelievable. I forgot the most magical thing of all--my cocktail. It was fashioned after James Bond's martini. But this one had gin, vermouth blanc, lavender and orange bitters, and a lemon twist. It was so delicious and flavorful that I will go back just for happy hour drinks every time I happen to be downtown. What a welcome surprise.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

84% Recommend
“A sad bad restaurant”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

This is a place to avoid.

I called and made a reservation for 6:30 pm on Saturday, Feb. 16. When I arrived, the hostess said I had a 5:15 reservation. Later, I realized I called at 5:15 and she was mistaken.

We had a nice table and my wife ordered a glass of wine and I ordered an iced tea without lemon. Of course, the iced tea came with lemon.

Next, I ordered an entree with Tomato Soup as an appetizer. My entree came and I asked about the soup. The waiter sarcastically asked me if I thought I should have the soup before the entree.

My wife ordered the lamb dish and instead of lamb medallions, she got a little meat and lots of bone. The meat was good, but it was mostly bone.

The restaurant does not offer bread.

When we got ready to leave, the waiter acted angry that we came. No one thanked us for coming and we were nice except I did say I had wanted my soup before my entree.

This is a place to avoid and hopefully they will either develop a new strategy or go out of business.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Stockholm, Stockholms Län, Sweden
“Last night of 2012 will be remembered!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We where treated a very special and unforgettable new years Chefs tasters menu, a sitting we wont forget anytime soon. It was not just bad. It was hilarious, everything was so far below par.
Waiter was nice but had no idea what the heck he was doing, the food was horrible (yes, one of the entrée wasn't even remotely eatable, whoever came up with the idea of that unwashed isberg-salad with dried onion and pre-fabricated Rhode Island dressing must have been high or something).

We where not angry, maybe a bit disappointed, but mostly we just felt sorry for everyone working here. We where saying to each other: "No other place on earth would a place like this survive even for one night."

This place, at least for new years, was indeed a joke. But the place left us with quite a good memory, something to talk about and laugh about years from now.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
San Diego, California
“Very Fancy Bar!.. Great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

Finally an awesome & classy Restaurant with a full bar THIS SIDE of downtown!.. I live just in front of Chaplos...one block down on B st.. finally I can walk to a "gaslamp style-If not better" Place to Wine, dine and have a few drinks with the wife.. On our Date night.... And yes!!! Walking distance!!.. plenty of parking for the buddies everywhere.. very cool design classy, elegant and hip.. I'm in love with their bar.. The on site owner/ PR/ mastermind explained that the bar was I believe turn of the past century...refurbished... Just beautiful... The fried calamari with chipotle was my favorite.. Oh and the tomato soup is to die for.. For those who love Nordstroms tomato soup... this one sets a new standard..thicker, richer ... creamier No joke. Great domestic beer, awesome draught wine.. try the cabernet...Congrats..!! We shall return!.. Again and again..!

Mexico City, Mexico
“Fancy new place to visit more than once”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This place is a perfect location for a great lunch, a fancy dinner or just to have couple of drinks, The experience in Chaplos was extraordinary with profesional staff and with great menu choices. Not only was the food delicious but it was beautifully presented and served at correct temperatures. Its a unique experience in a more comfortable setup and exclusive environment at down town San Diego. The tomato soup, ravioles and salmon were awesome.

• Visited November 2012