“never ever stay at this hotel” 1 of 5 stars

Harvey's Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   7166 El Cajon Boulevard, San Diego, CA 92115   |
Ranked #227 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Lake Havasu City, Arizona
“never ever stay at this hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We stayed at this hotel three nights, when we got to our room the refrigerator was hot, when I went down to the front desk, it took them a half hour to come up to look at it, was told that the frig went into defrost mode every 24 hours and the manager played with the dial and finally after a couple hours the frig was cold. Never went into defrost mode while we were there. Went to the ice machine to get ice and realized I had to pay for ice. Glad I didn't have to hang anything up because I saw no where to hang clothes up. There were only 2 bath towels in the bathroom, they were very thin.Also only had two pillows on the bed, had to go down to the office to ask for more towels and a couple more pillows, was given two towels and was told they were out of pillows,only to see housekeeping take pillows out of the maids room the next day. After walking around the room for a few hours I realized my feet were BLACK from the carpet, the carpet was dirty and a little sticky in places, had to wash my feet before going to bed. The next morning got ready to leave and realized there was not a do not disturb sign on the door so I had to tell housekeeping we didn't need them to clean our room, so no one would go into our room while we weren't there. Make sure to bring your own hair dryer because there was none in the room, No coffee maker in the room. The parking was okay if you drove a subcompact car or motorcycle and not enough spaces for the number of rooms, if you didn't get back to the hotel early enough to get a spot, you had to park on the street which is a very busy street and risk your car getting damaged or broke into. While packing to leave, I noticed a few dead bugs along the walls, that should have been cleaned up by housekeeping. Had no choice but to stay there because there were no other hotel rooms available at the price of 90.00 a night in the area. When I checked out on Sunday morning, tried to tell the owner/manager about the problems but he made excuses and didn't want to listen to me. Called back to the hotel when we got home, and was told they would not compensate me because I was making up things to complain about and they never had any complaints in the twenty years of owning this hotel and that I should have told them about my issues on the first night. and then was hung up on by the manager. When we travel, we enjoy staying in smaller hotels because of the care most owners put into the hotel but this place was so bad that I will never stay there again and will recommend that no one stay there either unless you don't mind dirty carpet and bad management.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Families
Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
LAS CRUCES
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Our room was very large, had a queen bed, older TV, fridge, and microwave. There was also a table and two chairs and a dresser for clothes. The sink was in-room. The bathroom had the toilet and tub/shower. We had 2 bath towels, 1 hand towel, and 2 face cloths -- not too thick. The room had the door in the middle and two large windows on either side. The check-in was at the office, which is just a walk-up window. You are given a remote control for the TV. Ours turned out not to work (probably needed new batteries) and we easily got another. The internet worked well. The parking spaces are small, which is a bit tight if you have a large van. It also doesn't look like there are enough parking spaces, as the 2-story building is in a U-shape and there seems to be just one parking space in front of each downstairs room. There is no breakfast. There is no in-room coffee maker, so bring your own or cups so you can make coffee or tea in the microwave. There seems to be a place to have breakfast about 1 1/2 blocks away (starting at 9 a.m.), next to the Thai Taste restaurant (which was very good for dinner). This motel is on a busy street in a mixed neighborhood that seems to have a lot of car repair and car parts shops and electronics and electronics repair shops.

Room Tip: I would choose a downstairs room to be sure I would get parking.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Nelson
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Large clean room, bathrooms being renovated but old one worked well - just showing its age. A bit noisy but it's hard to find motels off the main drag. Good value at $50-$60.

We would choose this motel again unless we wanted something more upscale.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Harvey's Motel? Share your experiences!