“GREAT for first time!” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
$5 off room rate
“GREAT for first time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

I have always heard about hostels and have always been curious. So when I was planning my yearly trip to San Diego I came across this hostel. What a great place!!!!! The staff was awesome. And I was very comfortable in my room. I WILL go back!!! Perfect location. Saturday mornings the Little Italy Farmers Market is right in front.

• Stayed July 2014
Bobby D, Manager at ITH Adventure Hostel San Diego, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Hello. Thank you for your kind words! We are glad that you enjoy your ITH experience! You are always welcome to come back any time. It was a pleasure to meet you. Hope see you again in our place.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

Awesome hostel! Made my San Diego stay! Great free events, breakfast and dinner and the most incredible friendly staff (especially Steve and Christina - those guys were exceptional, thank you!) Loved celebrating ITH's 2nd birthday with them - here's to many more, they're doing great things for backpackers!!

• Stayed August 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I booked five nights here at the end of a busy west coast road trip and this was the highlight. I ended up staying for eight nights as I made so many friends and always had so much to do.

Almost every hostel I've stayed at advertises lots of freebies that never actually materialise. But ITH was definitely the exception – free activities day and night, varied breakfasts and tasty free dinners every evening. Not only is this great for the budget traveller, but a great way to socialise and make friends.

The staff made sure everyone in the hostel enjoyed their stay and got what they wanted from it, whether that be a place to crash after studying, a place to party or a base for sightseeing. The rooms are a good size and the bathrooms are very clean. I can’t fault the place, this is the best hostel I’ve stayed at and I’ll be back one day!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I visited San Diego about 4 weeks ago and stayed at this hostel. I have to tell you, the hostel offers and delivers over and above a standard hostel, or a hotel for that matter! I have stayed in about 10 internal hostels so far and counting... This hostel scores very highly.

Where do i start...

The hostel is very clean! I stayed in one of the bungalows with en-suite - very clean rooms and bathrooms. If the bathroom was busy I'd just pop across to the main house for the showers there. I spent some lazy few hours on the couch in the super cosy lounge - chatty to other travelers & watching movies.

The staff are super friendly (but not 'leave-me-alone' creepy). They hang out with other travelers (they are travelers themselves after all) and they have numerous 'free' activities throughout the day! I have never been to a hostel which offers FREE drive 30miles to&from the beach! Everyday there is an activity they'll drive you to- just sign up for headcount.

I actually plan on going back to the hostel this weekend! It's nice to see a friendly face when traveling... those at the hostel will certainly make your time at San Diego incredible!

When you're there, say hello to the gigantic Ted, the Teddy bear :)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I stayed at ITH Adventure Hostel for 2 weeks in total, after extending my original stay of 8 nights, bit by bit. I just couldn't bear to leave! This hostel is genuinely the nicest, most awesome place I have ever stayed, and certainly the best hostel in North America. Hopefully I will be back one day!

The volunteers at the hostel are all lovely people, really friendly and welcoming, you feel at home as soon as you arrive. With the owner and the managers, they organise and run most of the hostel's FREE activities including snorkelling, paddleboarding, hikes, bar crawls, game night, Tijuana day trips and a boat party. Thanks guys for making my time in SD great :D you deserve so much credit, the hostel would not be the same without you.

At the Adventure Hostel you get free breakfast of pancakes/eggs/toast/fruit, and free dinners of various dishes cooked by the staff, all delicious. You can also use the kitchen if you need to and keep stuff in the fridge.

There are a few different room sizes but most are dorm rooms. I think there is 1 private room at the moment, but they are planning to extend into another building too. The best room to be in is the bungalow! You have your own bathroom. Although having said that the bathrooms in the main house are so meticulously cleaned you would never know anyone had used it before you! Never seen a cleaner hostel before.

The front garden/patio area is the best place to chill out, don't stay at this hostel if you don't like to socialise and meet new people as you won't get away with not talking to anyone! It's also the location for the hostel parties/game nights. The lounge is also pretty nice.

I met so many wonderful people here and I would recommend ITH to any traveller looking to stay in amazing, value for money hostel. They also have a mountain lodge at Big Bear and the Zoo Hostel in Hillcrest.

Miss you guys thanks for looking after me! x

Room Tip: Stay in the bungalow if you can! It's got the most floor space and you get your own bathroom. It...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Clemmons, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

In planning this trip we were looking for a place where my son and I could stay, yet have our own personal space and time for rest and relaxation. We felt a Hostel would give Him plenty of people to meet and do things with and I just needed to get away. After reviewing Trip Advisor and ITH websites-we chose ITH Adventure Hostel and couldn't have been more pleased.

The staff was amazing, each and every one of them and a wealth of information and knowledge. Breakfast and dinner was included along with daily free or minimal cost at best; like a bus ride or your purchases on a night out event. You could do as much or as little as you wanted to. Activities included Harbor Walking Tour-short distance ,Beach Trips, Evening Activities including parties at the Hostel or Nights out at nearby locations. Free snorkeling and Sailing Trips with Van transportation provided by one of the owners Bobby, who hails from Tampa, Florida and was around and very helpful with information and recommendations. He is also the Sail Boat Captain and Guide. James is the other owner, whom I didn't meet, but knew he was around; we just missed each other.

The bed was so comfortable and I slept great every night and even napped several afternoons. The hostel is full of Creativity and the Comforts of home. The place was immaculate with staff seen cleaning twice daily. Reception is staffed 24/7 so someone is always available for questions or information. Towels and linens are provided and they will even do your laundry for a very nominal fee.

Due to food allergies I did not eat a lot of the food provided, but brought protein shakes, nuts and protein bars and was able to stock up on fresh produce at a nearby market. You have full use of the kitchen for storing your food and even cooking. They only ask that you label your items and clean up after yourself, which is just the respectful thing to do.

Overall, the place was absolutely amazing!!! Other than traveling with my husband to a Timeshare we have in San Diego, I would never stay anywhere else. After staying here, I am sure no other Hostel could ever measure up. I may try others, but feel certain I would be disappointed. I will be back, believe me!!

I have already started recommending ITH Adventure Hostel to all of my friends and several can't wait to make a trip out to San Diego and visit, By the way, Bobby and James also co-own 2 other Hostels 1 in San Diego, the Zoo Hostel and 1 in Big Bear. They offer 2 day trips from the Adventure Hostel to Big Bear twice weekly for abt $69 including transportation and accommodations.

A bit of Advice-BOOK EARLY- because this place fills up fast and I met several people who wanted to stay longer, but the Hostel were booked, but would go and stay at the Zoo Hostel and come back and forth. We stayed a full 7 nights and 8 days booking early enough to get the rooms we wanted, but people were in and out from 1 day to weeks or more - I have nothing negative to say. If noise bothers you-get a set of the free Ear Plugs and put them in and you won't hear a thing. Quiet hours are from 11pm-7am and they do their best to abide by this, but with so many people staying, it can be difficult, but they provide options if noise bothers you, so no complaints is how I see it. Use the FREE Ear Plugs!!

Thank you Bobby, James, Steve-Full Time Hostel manager, Bradley, Breno, Cathe, Cezar, Christina, Julien, Maya, Piera, and Simone and of course, Ted-who secretly runs the place...Thanks for sharing your Rocking Chair with me for my early am quiet time for coffee and Breakfast.

Love you guys!! My hubby and I will be staying at our Timeshare Sept 2015 in The Gas Lamp District and will def stop by to say Hello!!!

Best Place ever and in the words of my son Ben-"....Best vacation I have ever had....the best part being. no matter what I did, was that there were always people to hang out with when I got back and I loved that..."

Room Tip: I chose a room with only one other roommate to keep the traffic down to a minimum and have more priv...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Stayed here for a few nights back in May - was my first time travelling on my own and first time staying in a hostel & this place was a great place to start. If you're on your own the free breakfast & evening meals give you a great opportunity to meet other people, chat, compare travelling experiences etc and this really helped me with my experience/trip. Plus it's free so saves you money at the same time and v yummy food! Staff are great, always someone on hand to help or chat to. Rooms & bathrooms/shared areas were all kept really clean, always saw a member of staff cleaning or tidying at all times of day. The only tiny downside (and it won't bother most people) is that I booked a private room, and yes whilst I had my own room and separate locked door, I had to walk through one of the 6 bed dorm rooms to get to my door so there are still other people around. This wasn't a big problem for me but I felt it could have been made clearer on booking that the private room is right next to a dorm room. In the long term though it was fine and meant I met various other people staying in the room next to me and this all just adds to the experience :) The rooms can get quite hot but it's safe to leave windows open and there are fans etc.

Little Italy is lovely, some great cafés/ice cream shops nearby, and we also got some great cake from Extraordinary Desserts - a shop around the corner that a member of staff recommended one night, amazing place! The hostel is within easy reach to get on public transport - I bought a card that I topped up each day and used both the trolleys & buses to visit Gaslamp, Old Town, Mission Beach & La Jolla. I personally thought San Diego public transport was great.

I walked to Balboa Park from the hostel one morning, took me around 25 mins...it's mainly uphill all the way but at least it's an easier walk on the way back! Definitely worth a visit and the staff member on reception that day gave me great directions. I also did an afternoon trip organised by the hostel to Coronado Island for some great cocktails and a trip to Sunset cliffs (awesome!) followed by the hippy market. Great afternoon seeing awesome places with new friends.

Overall a great stay at the ITH - fell in love with San Diego & would definitely visit again!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Been to ITH Adventure Hostel San Diego? Share your experiences!