“Friendly Service and Amazing Food” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1,406 of 4,125 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: American
San Diego, CA
“Friendly Service and Amazing Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I used to live just up the road from Urban Eats and was here at least three times a month. The waiters are so friendly and make you feel right at home from the second you walk in. But, nothing will compare with the food.

To start I always had the Grilled Cheese and let me just say that you can forget everything you thought you knew about your favourite childhood meal. For the main, I recommend the Slow Roast Pork. I cannot emphasise enough how tender and full of flavor this dish is. The chef has clearly perfected his recipe and your taste buds will definitely realise it. And there is no better way to end a meal at Urban Eats than with their cookies.

If you're in San Diego, this place is definitely worth the stop, you won't regret it.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Chicago
“Wow- Great Flavor, Thoughtful Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

First- best meatloaf ever. Even the presentation was very nice, with tomato compote on top of two slices artfully arranged over 'smashed' potatoes and greens. I'm usually hesitant to do meatloaf at a restaurant, since everyone has their own take. This was the best I've ever had (anywhere- DON'T tell Mom). The meat flavor shone through, the tomato compote was the perfect anti-ketchup topping, the potatoes managed to complement it very well (they were perfectly seasoned). The meatloaf itself did not taste over-baked as many do.
My partner had the pulled pork sandwich- very good, even the bun tasted great by itself, but it added to the flavor of the meat. Homemade potato chips- mmmmmm. They brought out crostinis for an appetizer- free. Beautiful- just cheese toasted on bread with dipping sauce (creamy, not yogurt but TASTY). Then after dinner out came the cookies and a large sliced strawberry with cream. WOW- perfect ending. The chocolate chip cookies were incredible. Just the right crunchiness outside, yet still warm and gooey inside with melty chips. And of course the strawberry with lightly whipped cream (how British) was fantastic.
AND- let me say Kyle was terrific too. Great timing, knew just when to show up and when to leave us alone. He was the lone server, and he handled us, several other couples and a large group superbly.
I can't recommend this place highly enough. Great food, therefore great value. The only (slightly) negative was my wine- I chose an inexpensive cabernet, and that's what it tasted like- so I wasn't upset. I would probably choose a better wine next time since now I know it has to complement some pretty great food. Take your friends here, it's a small but varied menu (8 to 10 entrees), and it's all really tasty.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Elkton, Maryland
“Pleasant Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

My daughter, grandson, & I stopped here because it had some open tables and we wouldn't have to wait. I wasn't expecting the absolutely wonderful food and excellant service we received. Also the prices were great. No doubt about it this is now on my daughter's list of restaurants to visit on a regular basis.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Francisco, California
“The Best REUBEN - ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I cannot rave enough about this place. Our server was friendly, helpful and attentive. My friend and I had their Uptown Reuben. It was perfection for so many reasons: Lean beef with no fat at all, toasted perfectly, the right balance of sour kraut and thousand island dressing. Heavenly really. The homemade chips were excellent as well. Will definitely come back next time I'm in the neighborhood.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Thousand Oaks, California
“Excellent American Food in Hillcrest area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

My wife, 20 year old son and I ate here at 6 pm on Saturday, June 30th. We drove and I dropped them and found parking about a block away. This was a pre-theater meal for us as we had tickets to the Lowell Davies Theater in Balboa Park. That was a convenient 5 minute drive away from Urban Eats.

This is a small restaurant with about 6 tables inside and 4 outside. The walls were covered with old photos of the Hillcrest area of San Diego. There is a small bar inside but I believe they are still waiting for a liquor license. We got a table inside without a wait.

The menu is simple and features American classics. We ordered an appetizer of the grilled three cheese sandwich with tomato bisque soup. The waiter, who was very friendly and helpful,brought us a plate of complimentary and very good Parmesan Crostini while we waited. The first course came cut into four strips to easily dunk in the bisque and was wonderful!

I ordered the meatloaf with mashed potatoes and was very impressed with the flavor of both. My son ordered a reuben sandwich that both he and my wife felt was the best they ever had. My wife had a tuna melt that was good but seemed a let down after the other excellent fare.

We were too full for dessert but the waiter brought us a plate of three small chocolate chip cookies with strawberries and cream anyway. These too were excellent.

Overall this is an excellent choice for American food. We spent $50 for the three of us including tip and soft drinks so a decent value as well. I highly recommend this little eatery.

• Visited June 2012