“My home away from home! Love this place!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of WorldMark San Diego

You added WorldMark San Diego to your Saves list
WorldMark San Diego
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1110 A Street, San Diego, CA 92101 (Formerly Staybridge Suites Downtown) (Downtown)   |
Ranked #175 of 273 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Santa Clara, CA
“My home away from home! Love this place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

They have an amazing Front Desk Staff who is very customer oriented, and a great resort management team! I love the location as it sits right by Balboa Park and the San Diego Zoo as I love visiting the zoo whenever I am there. You can relax at the roof top and have view of the Coronado Bridge and watch planes land, pretty cool! If you needed to access Hwy 5 and 163, it's right there!

The studios and One bedroom units are decent as they have just renovated the entire resort so all the furniture are much more comfy and ergonomically fit. The mattresses are nice and firm. I only wish that they had renovate the bathrooms and vanity tops, but they did not. That brought the score down slightly. The rooms all have a kitchenette with stove top, fridge, and a dishwasher and microwave. Utensils and pots/pans/dishes/glasses are included. A flat screen LCD TV is available for your viewing. If you have a one bedroom, then there is also another TV in there.

The only problem I keep having with them is their housekeeping department. Apparently, some of the housekeepers are not detailed oriented and not very thorough with their cleaning. I have encountered this problem almost every time I've been there the past 3 years. I hope that they get it resolve soon, so I can update and give them a 5 Circles.

Other than that, I just love this place and looking forward to visiting them again in Jan/Feb 2013!

Room Tip: As it is a resort, they assign rooms in the order of your reservation, but you can request for certa...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

Stayed here while at a conference. Large room, friendly staff. Roof has an amazing sitting area.

Although the San Diego weather was dreadful, loved this place.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
rosaritobeach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

This is a great resort. Different from other Worldmark properties because it is an urban location and an existing building that got renovated. It is right on the edge of Balboa Park and a short walk into the heart of the Gaslamp. Few blocks from the trolley station. And right off the Fwy exit if you do get a car, but not necessary. You can take the bus from the airport. And take the trolley down the the border. Can walk to Horton Plaza and do an all day tourist bus trip. this day bus trip is a jump on/ jump off tour. It will take you to the zoo and everywhere else for a first time visitor.

It is a great location. Near everything, Just a short walk away. But back enough that it is quiet at night. A lovely roof top patio to enjoy. And not big bucks.

Very nice small kitchen. Can fix the basics for breakfast. Some pasta, etc.... There is a large market downtown, near Horton Plaza. I love this location.

Like many urban places, there are many homeless people in the area. During the day, there is no problem. Like anywhere, I would be careful at night. I would not rent a car here. but late at night, I would spend the money to take a taxi home after dinner, clubbing, or a move in the Gaslamp area. There are tons of all of these, just a few blocks away. You will spend less on a few taxis than you will per day to park the car.

Room Tip: Nice to have a view that faces the Coronado Bridge. Can request.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2005

My family and I stayed at the Staybridge downtown for one night following a wedding. The hotel is quite nice due to its recent remodel/opening. Rooms were spacious, with a nice kitchenette and large tv/ dvd player. The roof was a nice little haven, overlooking the city. Breakfast was better than most you receive with your room but the food was nothing too great. I would recomend this hotel to anyone going to the zoo, or needing to get to the airport since it is very close to both. For the money, I think this hotel is great compared to others in the San Diego area. The area is somewhat skecthy with homeless wandering around, but probably no different than many other hotel locations and certainly nothing to be overly concerned with. I would recomend parking on the street if you want to save yourself $15, as there seemed to be plenty available spots when I stayed there.

• Stayed August 2005
Nationwide Traveler
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2005

I stayed at this Hotel 3 weeks becuase it was such a good hotel. They have gone through a remodel about a year ago and it feels and looks very clean. Also, the rooms are spacious, they have parties on the roof and the staff were great. I became friends with the staff and we were all on first name basis. The Hotel has a great internet connection - just like a home cable modem.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2005

My stay at the Staybridge was okay - I was in town for a huge convention and the options were not really great. So, I got the room through hotwire.com for an admittedly great price. However, there were a couple of issues: the night I arrived, they informed me that I was going to be "walked" (a euphemism for 'driven via cab') to another hotel because they had overbooked the hotel. I wasn't really aware that this was something that normally happened, but I went along with it because there were no other options. While I could have allowed myself to get very bothered by this, I have to admit that the staffperson helping me was very contrite and apologized up and down for the inconvenience. This made the situation a bit more tolerable (i.e., things would have been different if the staffperson were rude...) but it was definitely an inconvenience nonetheless. Being overly tired from having flown across the country (and it being fairly late at night), I went to the other hotel. The next day I was shuttled back to the Staybridge and (since I was arriving early) the staff accomodated me quite well and placed my bags in a secured locker for which I had a key. I stayed 3 more nights in the Staybridge and the experience was more or less pleasant. I suppose it's not fair to blame the hotel but this was definitely an imposition and had I the choice of doing it again, I would choose a different hotel. While the way it was handled was fine, there's something to be said for being organized enough to not allow yourself to get into the position of having to shuttle guests (upon arrival!) to a different hotel in the first place. All in all, the situation left a bad taste in my mouth and I would say the experience was okay at best.

Monroe, LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2004

Solid hotel. Big clean rooms and friendly service! Only downside was the location. A good value if you don't go out too late at night.