“Very polished” 5 of 5 stars

Omni San Diego Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   675 L Street, San Diego, CA 92101 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #7 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Very polished”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2006

I stayed here for six days during mid July. Check in went smootly and they were very accomodating and professional. The exterior of the hotel is very upscale and modern with impressive views depending on where your room is. Liking to have a nice view, I requested a room change and they accommodated me and were very cordial about it. I eventually ended up in room 1414 which is a corner room on the front left side. I had an incredible view of the harbor, Point Loma, Coronado Island, and the Pacific Ocean from my forward view and downtown / ballpark out my balcony view. The balconies are much larger on the corner floors as well. Only corner rooms on the front westward facing side of the hotel have balconies and those directly overlooking the pool (rooms facing north and east do not have balconies. Floors 21 and up are condos.

The common areas from the lobby to the hallways are very upscale and refined. The rooms are also very nice. The bathrooms have very interesting wooden blinds that open into your room , but don't give you the privacy you may desire soundwise. The rooms were insulated well and noise was kept to a minimum unless you include the frieight train that comes by a few times a day. This did not really bother me, but it may some. Maid service was very good. One day she even put ice in the ice bucket for me as she noticed that I had used it the day before. Evening turn down service is also very nice. They leave you a little surprise too each night with the turn down service.

There is free parking after 6pm on adjacent streets, but you may have to circle a few times to get a space. Valet will park the car in a garage directly across the street for you or you can do it yourself for about $8.00 a day. I found a street spot every day however.

All in all, a very polished, sophisticated establishment that affords all the comforts you would expect. I got all this too for about $105.00 a night on Priceline.

• Stayed July 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
Orange County, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2006

We've stayed at this hotel numerous times since it opened. The rooms are fabulous. Join the Omni Select Guest program and get perks like late check outs and lightening fast check in. As a Select Guest, all we do is pull up to the valet, hand them the keys, go straight to the front desk, give your name and they have your room keys waiting for you. One time, we literaly went from our car to the front desk and into our room in under 2 minutes! That's excellent service. While you're there, everyone greets you and treats you like a VIP. Excellent restaurants and the Gaslamp nightlife is a 5 minute walk. The private walkway connecting the hotel to Petco Park is great for easy access during Padres games.

• Stayed January 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2006

The Omni hotel is definitely a 4 star hotel. The layout makes the whole place feel bigger than it actually is and is very asthetically pleasing. The restaurant is overpriced, and with so many great ones within walking distance, dont bother. The best thing about the hotel though is the skybridge into Petco Park. We were down from San Francisco to catch a few Giants games, and using the sky bridge made us feel like VIPs! After the game, check out the bar/restaurant Dick's Last Resort. Rockin good times!!!

Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2006

I couldn't have been more pleased. My room was on the top floor facing the convention center and the bay. The view was incredible!

I arrived late due to a major delay in my flight. When I finally got to the hotel (at midnight) I was welcomed as an old friend, even though it was my first stay at the Omni and my first visit to San Diego.

Everyone at the hotel provided exceptional service, from the concierge to the parking valet to everyone at the front desk to the people who cleaned the room daily.

Location: How can you beat it? At the edge of the happening Gaslamp district, directly across the street from the convention center, and the Omni is attached to the Padres' Petco Park stadium (hint: take one of the tours of the stadium; you won't be sorry!)

Breakfast was delivered on time every day, and most of it was free because I signed up to be an Omni Select Guest member when I made my reservation.

Noise? None! I never heard sounds from other rooms even though my room had a connecting door to my neighbor's room. Sometimes the trains at night were a bit noisy, but that's city life, isn't it?

Due to my experience last week, I'd stay at any Omni in any city from now on. What a wonderful experience.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
Vienna, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2006

As other reviewers noted, location can't be beat...We found staff (valet, check in, etc) very professional and helpful. Lobby can get a bit crowded when Padres are playing, but that goes with the territory since you are right next to stadium. Rooms (we had 2adults, 2 teens) were spacious and well appointed (wireless internet worked great). Bathroom "door" (or slider) is quite odd. Bathroom privacy is a real issue, so make sure you are sharing room with people who know you very well!...Another small disapointment is the "2 double bed syndrome"...a lot of hotels have moved to 2 Queens, but not catching on as quickly as I would like....all in all, it is still one of the better high end options in downtown SD...

• Stayed June 2006
Dallas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2006

I had two problems during my stay at the Omni that I have never had at any other hotel in all my life, not even the budget hotels. But the real problem was in how they handled the second problem.

The night before I was to check out (at 6 am to catch a flight), I called and asked for a wake up call. Someone answered the phone and confirmed the time that I would be given a call. The alarm clocks in the room give you the option of either radio, CD, or natural sounds (who wakes up to the sound of the ocean??), but no buzzer. So I was counting on that wakeup call. I didn't get it and ended up missing my flight as a result. When I went down to check out at a little before 8am, the manager on duty confirmed that I didn't get a call and apologized. He put me in a cab to the airport at the hotel's expense, so I was happy about that. The strange thing though was that he wanted me to leave my bags at the hotel. I asked why and his explanation was that they would be there in case I couldn't get on a standby flight. I asked what if I do get on standby, what happens to my bags? He said they would drive them over.

Apparently the manager has never flown on an airplane because that makes no sense. By the time you get confirmed for standby, there isn't time for bags to be shuttled to the airport, come back outside security to get them, go back inside, etc. etc. Anyway, aside from the bizarre recomendation to leave my bags, I was still happy that they did whatever was necessary to get me to the airport ASAP. My real beef is the next thing that happened...

When I got back to Dallas, I saw a huge second charge on my credit card, to the tune of about $150. I called to ask what it was and left several messages that were never returned until days later. While waiting for the callback, I called again and asked to speak to the hotel desk to see if someone could tell me what the charge was for. I finally spoke with the manager on duty and he researched and told me that it was from the mini-bar. I said, "WHAT?? I never even opened the mini-bar, I certainly didn't take or consume anything from it." The manager then began to argue with me over the charges, as if I was a liar and thief. He was unbelievably rude. I spent a huge amount of money to stay at the hotel, they then tack on some other wrong charges, and *I'm* the one who is being given the second degree?? He starts listing the timeline, "Our records show you checked out at 1:30pm, we checked the mini-bar at 2:00pm...." etc. I say, hold on, you don't even have these times right. I checked out at about 8:00am, and I can prove that I was in another city eating lunch at the time you have me checked out. He goes on to say that's all irrelevant, the charges are still correct [because his computer tells him so]. I said, no, your records are demonstrably incorrect on many aspects, you can't tell me that despite all the other errors, you are certain that the charge is correct--someone obviously inputted someone else's data to my name or room or whatever.

He continued to argue with me and that's when I lost it. I finally told him that they either fix the charges or I'm disputing them with my credit card company, I took nothing, and I refuse to pay for something I didn't take. He finally said in a huff that they would remove the charges, but there was no apology, no acknowledgement that the mistake might have been theirs. There was never an offer to look into it or investigate, etc. He was only doing it because I refused to pay it, as if I was just some scummy person trying to get away with something. I refuse to let some manager impugn my character when the mistake was the hotel's. I've left a message with the general manager about the manager's terrible attitude and haven't yet gotten a callback. For a hotel that prides itself on award winning customer service and quality, it is outrageous that they treat guests like criminals when the hotel has made a mistake.

Stayed June 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2006

Nice Hotel, I suggest that you become a Select member. The prices of the bar/refrigerator items in your room are crazy. If you are a select member one of the things you get is complementary beverages in the morning, which is nice. The rooms are very small, but clean. I will say I got a good price from Priceliine, but would never pay the full price. The only downfall is the parking $24.00 a day. Should be a lot cheaper for guest!!!!

• Stayed June 2006

Been to Omni San Diego Hotel? Share your experiences!