“Wonderful Hotel...Great Hotel...A Bit Loud...” 4 of 5 stars

Omni San Diego Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   675 L Street, San Diego, CA 92101 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #5 of 268 hotels in San Diego
Santa Paula, California, United States
“Wonderful Hotel...Great Hotel...A Bit Loud...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Traveled here for yet another cheer competition being held at the SD convention center. Chose to stay a the Omni because of it's close proximity to the Convention Center.

Check-in was seamless, lobby is small but line wasn't too long to check in. Thankfully, I had read previous reviews about parking so knew to not utilize the hotel parking at $38 a night and parked directly across the street in the Parking garage and for 3 DAYS of parking I only spent $38 (About $17 a night I think they said?)

Room faced the convention center, we were on the 7th floor so really didn't have much of a view except for the train tracks and the convention center. A higher floor would have allowed for a view of the water and marina area behind the convention center.

Room was nicely appointed and clean upon arrival. Beds are just doubles, not queens. There is a mini bar and a small desk with 2 chairs and a sitting chair by the window. There are only 2 small drawers in the TV stand for clothing and 2 even small drawers in the single nightand beween the beds. Definitely need a bit more storage for clothing that doesn't need to be hung. (We came with a LOT of clothes for the 4 days we were here.)

I read about the bathrooms having shutters for doors but our bathroom had a modern privacy glasses sliding door. Not exactly idea, but it provided much more privacy than shuttered doors would have so I was glad to see that. Bathroom is modern looking and clean but the shelving situation (as noted in previous reviews as well) is not ideal. LOOKS nice...not very practical for storing things. My hairdryer barely fit on the shelf. By the time you try to fit anything on the little glass shelves you run out of room quickly. I prefer a counter top with much more room for bathroom toiletries. But that is a small complaint, I did like the modern and open layout. Walls are VERY thin...you hear EVERYTHING...from people coughing, sneezing and...other noises. I'll just leave it at that.

Let me address the NOISE issue: I hadn't really read much about noise being a problem but the first night we were there, oh my goodness was it noisy. The FREIGHT TRAINS that came through all night long on Friday night were HORRIBLE! So loud, at first I got up wondering if we were having an earthquake or something. LOUD! The red metro train wasn't loud at all, although you still have to listen to the clanging noise and horns of the RR gates but it was the freight trains that really took me almost over the edge on Friday night. I have now read that others have complained of this and saw that there are even EAR PLUGS in the night stands. So I look in the nightstands and SURE ENOUGH THERE ARE TWO SETS OF EAR PLUGS!! So they have obviously received enough complaints about the train noise that they try to make it bearable with the earplugs. Thankfully, that was only Friday night. Oddly, there were no freight trains on Saturday night at all and it was MUCH quieter!! The only thing I can guess is, they don't allow freight trains on the weekends, maybe because the know the hotels will be filled with vacationers? Who knows, either way I was VERY grateful that the freight trains did not run the second night because I got VERY LITTLE SLEEP the first night because of them. Saturday night the club across the street at the Hard Rock Hotel was hopping but it didn't really bother me at all. I'd rather listen to the noise of far away music ANY day compared to the FREIGHT TRAIN noise we had the first night! If all else fails and you can't sleep-- try the provided ear plugs. I still can't believe they actually provide ear plugs! I guess that's thinking ahead on their part. :)

We didn't eat at the restaraunt on the premise simply because there are so many other options available in the gas lamp district. The hotel is within walking distance to many different areas, we walked all up and down the marina area, ending up at the U.S.S. Midway and took all 3 of our kids on a tour of the aircraft carrier, etc. Then walked back.

We would stay at an OMNI hotel again, although the freight train noise from the first night MIGHT be enough to make me seek a different location in San Diego but ONLY because of the noise. Everything else was spot on for the most part.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the highest floor possible--for a better view and LESS FREIGHT TRAIN NOISE. We...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

2,042 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

My fiancé and I stayed here and were welcomed by friendly staff and helpful bell boys. We had a room on the fourteenth floor, corner room with a balcony. Amazingly sound proof windows and doors. Beautiful bathrooms with countless toiletries including mouthwash and cotton balls/q tips. The turn down service was nice. The pool and hot tub area was modern and beautiful. The restaurant here is also amazing. Pricey, but good. The customer service here was above and beyond what I was expecting. No cons about this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Very friendly and accommodating staff. Kudos to Angelo at the front desk. I only ate breakfast at the Omni, but I was quite pleased with the quality of the food and the wait staff. All staff were helpful with directions and suggestions where to dine and what to see.

• Stayed April 2013
Templeton, CA, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

The staff and hotel are always top notch. With the proximity to Petco Park and Gas Lamp quarter, this hotel is great fun with a superior location. I highly recomend this as your San Diego destination.

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Bradley, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Stayed here from April 12 through the 16th for a School Board Conference. The hotel is an extremely short walk from the Convention Center as well as the Gas Lamp area. We went to a Padre game and simply walked across a walkway through a private entrance. The staff was always helpful and the rooms were promptly cleaned each morning. Only thing we did not like was the lack of having a breakfast buffet. Our group likes to get started with a fast bite in the morning so we ended up walking next door to the Marriot for a morning buffet and then off to the conference.

United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I enjoy the hotel, the employee were very friendly, the restaurant wasn't as friendly as the people in the hotel.. on the bill I got pineapple and it would say orange juice. So, that was a bit of not as organized.

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Cook, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

From our arrival to departure eveyone was helpful, friendly and sincerely interested in making our experience positive. They recommended great restaurants (the on site McCormicks is great), helped us with suggestions on exploring the city and were punctual with our every request.

A bellman retrieved needed items from our car and the housekeeper was respectful of our interest in privacy one day. The rooms are clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the water
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Omni San Diego Hotel? Share your experiences!