“Awesome Experience - mostly!” 5 of 5 stars

Omni San Diego Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   675 L Street, San Diego, CA 92101 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #4 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Awesome Experience - mostly!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I joined a friend who was staying for a work conference. The room was spacious and comfortable and very well appointed. It's in a great location and we walked to the waterfront where we saw one of the most gorgeous sunsets I've seen. We were also able to walk pretty much anywhere we wanted downtown so that was easy.

The only blip in the trip was the phone call I got in the morning from the valet - that my car's convertible roof had been slashed! What?! My first thoughts were: you've got to be kidding and what am I going to tell my aunt who had graciously let me borrow her car for my trip!? And how the heck am I going to pay for this one?! I went down to meet with the head valet person, Gary, and he as well as the rest of the staff in the lobby were really helpful and handled the situation beyond well.

Gary showed me the car - the roof was indeed slashed through and the thief/thieves had rifled through all the contents of the car - but took nothing. There was nothing for them to take - and no, I hadn't left anything in sight for someone to think appealing. Luckily for me, they hadn't bothered looking in the trunk where I had quite a few things I bought and left in there.

It could have been a total disaster as I had been planning on leaving shortly to head back to LA where I was staying next. Gary said the hotel would be taking full responsibility in getting the car fixed and they would rent me a car that I could use until my car was ready. Gary and the Omni went above and beyond to be helpful and friendly in light of the situation. I am so grateful for them repairing the car fully and taking charge to get it done. I really can't say how thankful I am!!

I will absolutely stay at this and any other Omni hotel again. And I've been telling all my friends how wonderfully the whole situation was handled. Everyone has been super impressed (myself included). Thank you Omni and Gary for all of your help and taking responsibility for fixing my car!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Ontario, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here Dec 15-17 with my boyfriend for a weekend getaway and we also had tickets to see the Chargers game. One of the BEST hotel stays I have ever had. The staff was so helpful from the beginning of booking. I signed up for their loyalty program which I highly recommend! We were able to select two free drinks each with it, every morning and they were delivered right on time. Location was perfect. Gaslamp is right there within walking distance, we walked to all our restaurants. We were only about 20 minutes driving from Qualcomm Stadium. Bell men were always opening the door and asking us if we needed directions. Rooms are spacious, clean and the beds are so comfy we didnt want to leave! One thing I would change is their pillows, they were feather so as soon as you lay down they sunk in. We called the front desk and they recommended the foam pillows to try and within 5 minutes we had perfect pillows! Hotel was very attentive. I definitely stay here again and possibly at their other locations as well. Thank you Omni for making traveling easy!!

• Stayed December 2012
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

The Hotel is Superb, starting from the entrance where you are greeted very nicely by the hotel staff, check in was very fast and hassle free.

The rooms are very spacious with a very nice view of the Bay Area. Room is very well furnished and all bathroom amenities are excellent. A bonus for me was the abundance of towels in the bathroom, unlike some hotels where towels are usually limited.

The hotel is situated in the beautiful gas lamp quarter and is very close to tons of restaurants. It is also a 5 min walk from either the convention center or Hilton Bay Front Hotel (Where several conferences and events take place)

Strongly recommend this hotel to any one staying in the Bay Area in San Diego.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
paradise, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Located a block away from the Gas Lamp, where you can find wonderful food and drinks. The trolley is a short walk and and it can be used to go from Old Town to Tijuana. We found the staff to be outstanding and we had a beautiful room with a great view of the Coronado Bridge.

Room Tip: We elected to upgrade to the "premier king room" for a few dollars more.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Everybody there was very attentive to our needs. Concierge appeared confident and knowledgeable. Centrally located downtown and near the convention center. Adjacent the trolley/local rail. A bike path/running path between the rail lines.

Room Tip: Get a room facing to the west for a view of the convention center. Beautiful colors when the sun se...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I live in San Diego and stayed here with friends for a bachelorette party. The room was very comfy, and had a spectacular view of the Coronado bridge and the bay. The hotel is conveniently located! We were able to walk to the restaurant and many bars & lounges. One of the things I loved the most is how quiet the room was! There were people staying in rooms next door, and you couldn't even hear them in the hallway. The trolley stops right outside of the hotel also, couldn't hear that either! I loved that there was a little sitting area in front of the windows with the view, it was a very nice touch. We were very satisfied with our room!

The only not so great thing is that you have to park in a garage across the street by the ballpark. I still gave the hotel a 5 because in downtown San Diego, parking is NEVER good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
tkermabon, Manager at Omni San Diego Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear "COgirlinCA,"

Thank you very much for your kind words and 5-star TripAdvisor rating after your recent stay at the Omni San Diego Hotel. I agree that our location is unbeatable in that we're so centrally located between the Gaslamp, the Convention Center, Petco Park, the Trolley station, and so many local attractions. I am very happy to hear you found your accommodations comfortable and quite. The recent commencement of a local Quiet Zone ordinance that prevents trains from sounding their horns unless in an emergency has brought great peace to this busy neighborhood, much to the pleasure of local residence and visitors alike.

One note I'd like to make is that, in addition to self parking options across the street, we do also offer valet parking from our entrance. That is the most convenient option and costs $35 for overnight parking with unlimited in and out privileges.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Omni when your travel plans allow it.

Best regards,
Thomas Kermabon
Director of Operations
Omni San Diego Hotel
(619) 645-6530
Oahu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Prior to my arrival I signed up for their loyalty program. It's the best thing that I could've done! I also contacted Ashley to request a late checkout as my flight didn't leave till 4:30p. Ashley kindly extended my checkout till 2:00p at no extra charge. I also requested a treadmill as I had read the hotel overview and saw that they had "Get fit" rooms. Ashley had a treadmill in my room and I was charged a nominal one-time fee of $15. I could've participated in the gym or pool but I loved this option which allowed me to workout at my convenience. The service staff was wonderful except the young ladies working in the Business Center. I understand it's slow and at times boring but when I asked about a service there was a quick one word reply and no communicating of the services and prices. I needed two pages printed and my flash drive was literally ripped from my hand. Luckily I was in a rush so I didn't say anything. Other than the Business Center the staff at the Omni were wonderful! I was on the top floor and the view was of Petco Park and some of the bay. I had a tub and a shower. Little disappointed with the towels as they were thin and scratchy unlike the bedding. A coffee/tea maker along with some bags of each were included. My conference was in the hotel so I didn't have a chance to wander around, but I did meet a friend for dinner. There are many wonderful restaurants very close to the hotel. I will definitely return to this hotel when I return to San Diego!

Tip: sign up for the loyalty program prior to reserving your room. Upon check-in I received a bottle water, filled ice bucket, turned down bed, and personal note. Plus you receive shoe shine and clothes pressing along with daily newspaper and morning choice of beverage.

• Stayed November 2012
tkermabon, Manager at Omni San Diego Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear "HawaiiBorn69,"

Thank you very much for taking the time to complete a TripAdvisor survey after your recent stay at the Omni San Diego Hotel. I was pleased to learn you enjoyed your visit overall and would consider returning to our hotel when returning to San Diego.

I can completely appreciate why you felt joining our Select Guest loyalty program was a great idea. It was! A Select Guest is afforded the type of amenities that add immediate value to their hotel stay and that stand out as tangible benefits, as you so kindly noted. Thank you also for informing us of the less that friendly response you received in our Business Center, and for the towel quality problems you experienced in your guest room. I can assure you both of these matters are being communicated appropriately and that your input will assist us in making the necessary improvements to our operations. You were gracious to offer a 5-star review and we sincerely appreciate that considering the areas in which we fell short.

I hope you will consider reaching out to me personally prior to your return visit so that I can ensure you are provided with a stay that exceeds your expectations, and allows me the chance to say "thank you" in person.

Thank you again for your time.

Thomas Kermabon
Director of Operations
(619) 206-0292
tkermabon@omnihotels.com

Been to Omni San Diego Hotel? Share your experiences!