“Not what I expect from La Quinta” 2 of 5 stars
Review of La Quinta Inn San Diego SeaWorld/Zoo Area

You added La Quinta Inn San Diego SeaWorld/Zoo Area to your Saves list
La Quinta Inn San Diego SeaWorld/Zoo Area
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   641 Camino Del Rio South, San Diego, CA 92108 (Mission Valley / Hotel Circle)   |
Ranked #148 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
La Crescenta, California
“Not what I expect from La Quinta”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

Our family prefers to stay at La Quinta hotels when traveling as a family. Our kids love to get up early and go to the breakfast room while dad sleeps in. Although, there were a few things about this particular hotel that made the stay a little less enjoyable. First and foremost was the design of the A/C in our room. It was situated under the window and curtains. Therefore, if you needed privacy and the curtains closed, the air didn't successfully make it's way into the room comfortably. If you opened the curtains, the A/C worked better but then you have no privacy. In addition, there was only about 2 feet between the A/C and the first bed. My husband slept next to the A/C wall and froze all night, while I, on the other side of the room in the second bed with our daughter, was miserable. Second, I have to say I'm very disappointed in the amenities (toiletries) in this particular La Quinta. I've stayed at other La Quinta hotels and had no problem with the shampoo, soaps, lotions etc. but this one was by far the worst. All they supplied was hand soap and shampoo. I certainly by no means expect luxurious products but it is always appreciated to have at least certain items available. On this particular trip, I completely forgot my own shampoo so I immediately asked for more when I knew my family would be swimming and then getting ready for a wedding afterwards. Unfortunately this particular shampoo was horrible. It didn't suds up, I felt like it stripped my hair of all moisture and needless to say styling my hair was a nightmare. To make matters worse, my 5 year old daughters hair is even thicker, coarser and less manageable than mine - so yes I cringed at the thought of washing her hair with this stuff. Even my husband who is almost bald and couldn't care less about these things, seemed to be put off at having to use these products. Normally I take all of the unused amenities home as a reminder of everywhere I've travelled and to share with my own house guests. Needless to say, I left all of these products behind. We also had a crazy toilet that would run all night unless you rattled the handle. I didn't figure this trick out until much later. Normally, I'd ask the hotel to fix it but we were short on time. In addition, the fan in the restroom didn't appear to work very well. After showering, the steam would stay in the bathroom for quite a while. Finally, there was an incident with a housekeeper that made us feel very uncomfortable. While eating in the breakfast room, my 12 year old son left to find a restroom. When he wasn't able to find one, he decided to just go back to our room. Once he got there, he realized he didn't have the key, but the housekeeper was down the corridor. So he went up to her and asked if she would let him in to his room. With no hesitation at all, she opened the door and left! Yikes! Did she make it a habit of just opening doors for anyone? What if a stranger has followed my son into his room? When he told us of this later, we were horrified. Overall, I definitely recommend La Quinta hotels but unfortunately I cannot recommend this one. It needs a little updating.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Whittier, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

Stayed at the La Qunita Inn Mission Valley with my wife and 2 year old daughter. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite. The things that attracted me most to the La Qunita Inn were the over-all price, no charge for parking, free breakfast and the location – Walking distance to a to five different restaurants, 5 mins to Old Town, 10 mins to the Zoo and Sea World, and 5 mins to the Trolley stop at the Fashion Valley Mall (we took the trolley into the downtown/waterfront area)
Our experience - Upon arrive, we were allowed to check in early. The room was clean and modern (during our stay they were replacing the drapes in all the rooms). The room was spacious enough for our needs. The only complaint was the walls are too thin or not well insulated. Every time our neighbors used their shower, we could hear the water rushing through the pipes in the walls. (Lucky for us they didn’t shower that much)
Overall experience was excellent – we would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Book early for the best rates
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

Recently spend two nights at this place. Very noisy place. Closer on room next to ours broke so door slammed all night long. I went to complain to manager and I was told "she is too busy". Would recommend Motel 6 over this.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

Don't stay at this location I was so disspapointed. The pull out sofa was worse than something that came out of the trash. DOn't think for one minute my child would sleep on that nasty thing. They gave me a bedspread to use because they had no blankets. The Queen bed had no bedspread. The tub did not drain. I killed gray spiders the first night there. Front desk staff not friendly or helpful. Parking is underground in the garage or in a very crowded parking lot. After 10pm you are out of luck to get any parking at all. In addition to all the incoveniences this Hotel offered I never earned my La Quinta rewards nothing ever credited for the 3 night stay in this pie hole from May 28/11-5/31/11. They sure are eager to suck your money from you upon check in though. Also note that I tried to use the pool but each time it was out of towels. I would never return to this hotel. Total Fail!! I don't have a picture of the free standing water in the bathtub since I did not take my camera in there with me. It was gross.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

Great location right where several freeways meet, which is good. Right around the corner from the UCSD Extension building if you're in town for classes there. It's close to the beaches/SeaWorld by car, but don't try walking to the shopping mall like they advertise unless you are all in shape and adventurous - you have to cross the busy bridge over I-8 to get there.

Parking was not ideal, you have to park near the front of the parking structure to get to the elevators and the support poles obstruct several spaces. If you park closest to the elevator, make sure you have a small car or you will need a lookout to back out without damaging anything. We had a Chrysler Pacifica and parked fairly close, but another guest parked his Honda Ridgeline right next to us and we couldn't get past that truck's rear end -- I had to back out like I was going deeper into the structure and do a 3-pt turn just to come back to the exit!

We had a 2nd floor suite w/ a king size bed, which meant an odd-numbered room (even numbers were on one side of the floor, odd numbers on the other). You can hear every noise on the concrete walkways leading to the rooms, so when you're trying to sleep you will hear the late comers with rolling suitcases and the cleaning person's cart when she's nowhere near your room.

My kid was on the hide-a-bed couch, which he said was fine. The main bedroom is separate from the couch area, but there is no privacy door so people on the couch that need access to the bathroom have to pass by the bed - keep that in mind if you sleep with little to nothing on. The toilet cycled on and off every 10 minutes or so, very annoying. Maintenance never came to repair it after I reported it - I finally got my pliers and fixed the flapper myself to get some sleep I asked for extra towels since there were 3 of us in the room - we didn't get them until the last day of our 3-day stay. The bathroom vent/fan is wall-mounted above the toilet, don't get too close because it is full of dust. When we first arrived, the windows had sheers and privacy shades. On the 2nd day of our stay, we came back to find the sheers removed! Apparently the maintenance man did this to all the rooms, but now we had to either leave the shades open and have anyone walking by look into our room, or close the shades and turn on all the lights! So much for the view.

Friday was strange because the flyer guys are all over the place. If they can tell a room is occupied (lights on, noises inside room), they shove flyers into the room through the gap in the side of the door. The 1st time they came, I thought someone was trying to break into the room they were so loud. After the 4th flyer came through in an hour (3 local pizza joints, 1 chinese food place), I complained to the front lobby. Then it magically stopped.

Breakfast was pretty good, get there early because it is like a train station with all the guests eating there. If you don't like the basic waffles/cereal/bagels, you can take a 3-minute walk up Cam. Del Rio S to Denny's. Starbucks is across the street in the mall, too far to walk but a short drive. Room service food quality was good, but the prices in the menu were incorrect...they charged an extra $1 on EVERY ITEM we ordered, which was not cool.

Laundry was pretty good, the dryers actually got clothes dry in one cycle. Don't bother buying the soap/fabric softener from the lobby - bring your own or go to Target in the mall across the street. The wi-fi worked well, no complaints there when we needed to look up places to visit or restaurants.

I normally don't stay here on business trips to SD, even though it's right down the street from the UCSD building I normally am in town to visit. I wouldn't have stayed here this trip except that I got a great deal on a SeaWorld package, which included stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Get as close to the elevator as possible.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
lq6119gm, Manager at La Quinta Inn San Diego SeaWorld/Zoo Area, responded to this review, June 21, 2011
Thank you for your comments and feedback. I would like to sincerely apologize for the issues you encounter during your stay. We strive to always exceed our guest’s expectations and have already worked on correcting the issues mentioned. It is truly our hope that we will have another chance to earn your patronage. Please feel free to contact me directly at 619-295-6886 if you have any further questions or concerns.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

for the rates this hotel charges you can find much better, we had a dirty room tub would not drain, pull out bed look like it was pulled from trash can, this hotel has only one exit at front of property so if you get a room in back you must lug all your things to front then all the way to back remember parking is in back.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments and feedback. I was very sorry and disappointed to read about your experience with us. As a La Quinta Inn we strive to always exceed our guest’s expectations. With our recent room renovations and diligence in maintaining the highest quality of cleanliness and preventative maintenance, I assure you the issues have been resolved. I hope you will take an opportunity to try us again next time you are in San Diego. Please feel free to contact me directly at 619-295-6886 if you have any further questions or concerns.
lg1955
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

We stayed here last week after a horrible experience at another hotel. They were lovely people on the staff, let us check in early and check out late on Monday. We had a King Suite which was twice as big as the crummy hotel and the same price. There was no fee for our dog. The suite has a seperate bedroom area, a small sofa, microwave refrigerator and sink and two TV's. The shower was wonderful. Breakfast was nice even tho it was corwded on the weekend. Very convenient to freeway and not noisy. Definately will stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to La Quinta Inn San Diego SeaWorld/Zoo Area? Share your experiences!