“Great little 3 star motel!” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #94 of 268 hotels in San Diego
Chorley, United Kingdom
“Great little 3 star motel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I stayed here for 6 nights whilst at a conference at the convention centre. As I pulled in at night time it looked such a sweet little place for a big city! When I checked in the man showed me a map of the best route to walk to the conference and areas that are good to go to and also the ‘no-go’ areas. Later in my stay he also gave me advice on where would be quicker to get a taxi, and warned me of the approximate price to avoid overcharging. On my last day I was allowed to keep my suitcase behind the desk until I was ready to go to the airport.

Room: My room was on the top floor (it’s only 2 levels) which I got to choose when I checked in. It was a double room, very clean, with a wardrobe and little bathroom. They could have easily gotten away with no bath at all but I’m glad they squeezed a half size one in. The bed was very comfy, and there was a large TV, fridge, coffee making facilities (although never used that), and an iron / ironing board. There were little shampoo, mouth wash and body lotion bottles to use. Also free wifi which was good! Both bedding and towel got changed every day unless you hung the towels back up and left the ‘eco-friendly’ sign on the bed. I thought this was a great idea as there was no need for me to have it changed all the time. No view but I didn't expect one anyway from a city motel.

Breakfast: It was serve your own with plastic cutlery. I loved the waffle maker, which the kind lady showed me how to use! There were only 2 3-person tables available, but it was always very quite when I had breakfast anyway so it didn’t matter. The coffee cups had lids which was great when you wanted a coffee to go.

Location: The location of this hotel is approx 15-20 minutes walk from the convention centre and the gasplamp district (good restaurants) and 10 minutes (good traffic) taxi ride from airport – so I thought it was a great location.

Overall, it is a cute place in a good location. The staff were great and room clean, and for a single woman staying on her own I felt very safe. The room cost me approx $144 per night including breakfast. It is a 3-star establishment, and from my point of view couldn’t have done any better. Thank you for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: I liked my room 217 - top floor (no people above you) and tucked away above the reception.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Y_Chen, Manager at BEST WESTERN Plus Cabrillo Garden Inn, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Dear Lianne,
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Best Western Plus Cabrillo Garden Inn and for taking the time to share your experience you had at our property.

We are appreciating your feedback and we are looking forward to have you as our guest again in the near future.

119 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
jacksonville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We had stayed at this lovely little downtown hotel when my son graduated from college, so when he got married, we decided this was a good, centralized place to stay. We had a large block of rooms reserved, as many family/friends were coming for the festivities. Hotel gave us a decent price for the rooms. Staff, especially Carlos, was very accommodating, helped us with taxis & other issues, along with setting up a shuttle service to/from the reception. There was another lady at front desk who was very nice & helpful, but I didn't get her name. Breakfast lady was so nice & helpful every morning with the children, & even made them pancakes. Rooftop "hang-out" was perfect for our large group. Convenience store right across th estreet in the Avalon provided all the beverage & snack needs. Unfortunately there was road construction going on, so there was tar/soot all over outside, but nothing is ever perfect & not the hotel staff's fault. I want to thank the staff for being so helpful in making the wedding go even smoother & being so helpful & accommodating to such a large group.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Y_Chen, Manager at BEST WESTERN Plus Cabrillo Garden Inn, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Dear Jill,
Thank you for the nice comments regarding your stay at Best Western Garden Inn.

We are pleased that you enjoyed our hotel and our friendly staff and we are looking forward having you as a guest at our property.

Casa Grande, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Rooms are clean but a little small for a family of four. We were told about the complimentary breakfast served until 10am on Sunday but when we arrived somewhere between 9 & 9:30 there was very little left of the breakfast. All of the warming dishes were empty. When I asked if there would be more food put out the lady working there was not friendly. She brought out a small amount of eggs. We ended up eating out for breakfast

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Y_Chen, Manager at BEST WESTERN Plus Cabrillo Garden Inn, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Dear Yvonne,

Thank you for your feedback regarding the recent stay at our property.
We do apologize for the issue you have encountered in regards to the breakfast.
We will make sure to retrain our employees in customer service to be able to offer a high level of service which it is expected by the guests.
Thank you again for taking your time to share your experience. Your comments are very important to us in improving our business.

kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

This hotel was recently refurbished. Clean rooms, free Wi-Fi, full breakfast, and very close to historic Gas Lamp area with great restaurants, theatres, etc and short taxi ride to Cruise ship terminal and airport.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Ruth,

Thank you for your comments in regards to your stay at Best Western Cabrillo Garden Inn.
We are pleased that you enjoyed our hotel and friendly staff.
Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you back soon.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I was a bit worried at my first look when I arrived as the hotel seemed a bit old. At he front desk I was greeted by a friendly lady Katrina. I checked in and as I headed to my room upstairs and found a very nice room with a very comfortable bed! The bathroom had been updated and had nice toiletries. The hotel was a few blocks from the Gas Lamp District so a short walk in San Diego weather and you are in the middle of everything. A bonus to the property is on the roof is a great sitting area to kick back and enjoy the city sounds. I would recommend staying her if you want to be downtown San Diego. For the money this place is a great deal.

Room Tip: I stayed in 215 it was an extra large room with a sitting area.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Y_Chen, Manager at BEST WESTERN Plus Cabrillo Garden Inn, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear Tim A,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review about our property Best Western Plus Cabrillo Garden Inn. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel as well as our friendly staff.
We are looking forward to have you again as our guest in the near future.

Coos Bay, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Even though this small motel is in downtown San Diego, it was pretty quiet in my room. The staff was very helpful when we asked about seeing the city. Breakfast was pretty good. I was happy to see hot food, not just rolls, juice,m and coffee. We stayed two nights, and after getting back after the first day, I found my car overrun by little ants, so I mentioned it. When I checked out the next day, they had already arranged to have the property treated. Even though it was a little problem for me, they were right on top of things! Overall, it was a comfortable, pleasant stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Angela H,

Thank you for your recent review. Your comments are very important to us and we are using them constructively to better our business.
Thank you again for your comments and we hope that you will give us the opportunity to accommodate you again in the future.
Thank you.
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for three nights in August and found it to be a nice little retreat right in the heart of town. The bed and linen were so comfy it was a struggle getting up in the morning!

The trendy gas lamp district is right on your doorstep so we were able to find nice little eateries and bars just from ambling around.

The guy who checked us in, Carlos was his name I believe, was incredibly friendly and helpful. When we told him our travel plans (to drive along the coast to San Francisco) he produced a map of California and of LA and San Fran and told us all about his favourite spots along the way. He couldn't have been nicer or more helpful and gave us some great tips!

Great little hotel and excellent value for what you get! Definitely recommend.

• Stayed August 2013
Y_Chen, Manager at BEST WESTERN Plus Cabrillo Garden Inn, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Dear FunyoungIrishcouple,

Thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay at Best Western Plus Cabrillo Garden Inn.
We appreciate your feedback and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay as well as our friendly staff.
Thank you again for your review and we are looking forward to accommodate you again in the future.

Best Western Plus Cabrillo Garden Inn

Been to BEST WESTERN Plus Cabrillo Garden Inn? Share your experiences!