“Dog Beach and Ocean Villa Inn = a perfect weekend ” 4 of 5 stars

You added Ocean Villa Inn to your Saves list
Ocean Villa Inn
5142 West Point Loma Blvd., San Diego, CA 92017 (Ocean Beach)   |
Ranked #150 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
“Dog Beach and Ocean Villa Inn = a perfect weekend ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

We booked the Ocean Villa Inn for location and found HIDDEN GOLD !

This is an absolutely PERFECT oasis for Dog Beach here in San Diego. Crazy Dog Friendly ...they even gave my dog a goodie bag upon check in with a chew bone and tennis ball !! We have only been here a few hours and already we are planning our next visit !! It is no frills but it is the Perfect Location for dog beach! They have a dog washing station right as you enter the hotel grounds off of Dog Beach so all pups are sparkling clean and HAPPY as can be !! Rooms are clean and plenty of room. Laundry on site with incredible variety of Dog Friendly restaurants ...all a short walk away !! This is a must repeat !! Cosmo the Wonder dog has given Ocean Villa Inn his paw of approval !!! Love it !!!

Stayed July 2014
jennifer b, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Villa Inn, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
We're so glad you had a great time! Thank you for leaving a review! See you soon.

Kind regards,

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
San Andreas, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Good: The only thing going for this motel is the location at Dog Beach. And the proximity to good restaurants. The pool was clean enough. Fridge in room. Nice desk staff.

Bad: The linens are old and thin. The water pressure was terrible. We ended up in a dog room on the bottom which is fine for those with dogs but it is basically a toilet. The tile floor looked clean but within minutes my feet were black. The dog wash drains right down to the room closest to the beach entrance. Parking is tight.

Continental breakfast is limited. Coffee, OJ, cereal, instant oatmeal, bagels/toast, pastry. Was not worth $80 a night. Will not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

Great location for dogs, unfit for humans.

This motel offers a great proximity to the beach and of-leash dog activities but as soon as you drive in the parking lot you'll know you've made a mistake booking here. It doesn't appear there has been any attempts to maintain the property. The rooms are dirty, walls have been unprofessionally patched from previous water damage (likely from the shower seeping to the bedroom wall) and the odor and cleanliness of the linens is ridiculous. To add insult to injury, the price isn't even cheap. It cost over $150 after taxes for a night at this dump in the off-season (March). I actually felt the need to drink just to stomach staying here the one night (leaving wasn't an option due to our lack of a vehicle to run away or the time to book a new location)!

If the owners really want to keep this business viable (the potential is still there based on location alone) please consider closing down for at least half a year and infusing a large amount of cash into rehabilitating this poor excuse for a motel.

Room Tip: Stay Away!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
jennifer b, Public Relations Manager at Ocean Villa Inn, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
I am writing to you on behalf of the entire staff of the Ocean Villa Inn to convey our apologies for the inconvenience which was caused to you. We express our heartfelt apologies and hope that you give us another opportunity.
As a part of our apologies I am offering you a complimentary 1 night stay in one of our newly renovated rooms. I wish to clarify the fact that this does not justify our mistake and it is just a part of our apology. Please, accept it and pardon us.

Operations Manager
San Jose, Costa Rica
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

I will preface this review by saying that I am a dog owner and I do think it's nice that this hotel offers the ability to stay somewhere with your dog. However, I found this place to be more like a motel that looks better in the photos online than it does in person.

My boyfriend wanted to take me to San Diego for a little weekend getaway to belatedly celebrate Valentine's day, and he found a deal for this place through Amazon Locals. I thought that it looked like it could be cute after viewing their website and seeing that they had a pool and "ocean view rooms." We ultimately opted not to bring my dog so that we could make more of a romantic weekend of it without having to worry about leaving him alone in the hotel all day if we wanted to go explore.

So we arrived and saw the place from the outside to which my boyfriend said "it's...quaint?" - sure, that's one way of looking at it. We parked and got out of the car and immediately heard the incessant barking from dogs that had been left in their hotel rooms by their owners. I already knew that could be an issue because my boyfriend is a light sleeper. We checked in at the front desk and got our room keys to our room that was on the second floor with said "ocean view."

Upon opening the door to our room we were greeted with the strong stench of cigarettes and mildew. I then knew why those poor dogs were barking in the rooms downstairs, they probably couldn't stand the smell of the rooms they were cooped up in! The bed looked like the mattress hadn't been changed in years, it had a U shape to it that would have made us both roll into the center at night. The bed cover had a nauseating design and appeared un-washed, which was enough for both of us to decide that staying here would surely kill the romantic vibe of the weekend. Last but not least, the "ocean view" was actually just a view of the jetty and it didn't smell much better outside than it did inside the room. The porch had some old deck furniture and the floor was made of rotting wood.

Within 10 minutes of being there, we were BOTH on the phone desperately trying to find another hotel, which was difficult considering it was St. Patrick's day weekend. But we ended up finding space at the Embassy Suites near the Gaslamp and just straight up left because my boyfriend couldn't stand it. We called a few minutes later to tell the guy at the front desk that we left because of the problems mentioned above. He seemed pretty indifferent to what we told him. Fortunately Amazon Locals refunded my boyfriend's money due to the gross misrepresentation of this place online. Seriously, I do think it's nice that this place allows people to bring their dogs, but I think it's WAY overpriced for what it's worth, even when you're buying it discounted through a business like Amazon Locals.

Bottom line is, if you're looking for an at least somewhat romantic place with CLEAN beds and NO SMOKING and NO MOLD, then this place is NOT for you! If you're looking for a place that probably doesn't care much about cleanliness because they know dogs will be staying there, then this place is probably what you're looking for. By the way, there is such a thing as third-hand smoke where the toxins from cigarettes linger on carpet and fabric, so if you're thinking of staying there with your children I would advise against it.

Room Tip: Avoid the room with the view of the jetty on the second floor. It smells like mold and cigarettes.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
jennifer b, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Villa Inn, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
I am writing to you on behalf of the entire staff of the Ocean Villa Inn to convey our apologies for the inconvenience which was caused to you. We truly appreciate your feedback and we are working diligently to correct these problems. We express our heartfelt apologies and hope that you give us another opportunity.
As a part of our apologies we are offering you a complimentary one night stay. I wish to clarify the fact that this does not justify our mistake and it is just a part of our apology. Please, accept it and pardon us. Please contact me personally to make your reservation
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Check-in was fast and easy. Room was basic, but clean. If you aren't a dog lover or are sensitive to noise, this might not be the best place for you. We could hear every step our upstairs neighbor took, all night long.... Heated pool, great location with tons of places nearby for food. Very simple breakfast in the morning next to the reception area, but it was free so I wont complain. Towels are rough but they work. Shampoo and lotion and soap offered in the room.
Ocean Beach (OB) is a mix between hippies and students and regular people, pretty much all of them own dogs and walk everywhere. We felt safe walking around at night. And the beach! Very close, but not close enough to leave your door open at night to hear the waves. The dog run behind the rooms on the 1st floor was convenient but muddy so I had to wipe my dogs feet off each time to avoid a mess. Some people let their dogs back there with no supervision and we ended up with a bunch of poop on our porch. The dog wash area was fun, though my dog wasn't too happy!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

Just wanted to quickly say that despite reviews that mention concerns about noise from dog owners, I had absolutely no issues at this hotel. It was a fantastically cheap and well-located hotel, in the heart of OB, with friendly staff and clean comfortable rooms.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Calgary
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

I love Ocean Beach and was very happy to find such a great place for our dog's first trip to the ocean. The staff and other guests were friendly and extremely helpful. The motel is as eclectic as Ocean Beach is. The rooms are basic and as we travel a lot I have learned to take my own sheets, comforter and towels. Breakfast was quick and easy and the never ending coffee was nice. The dog bathing station was wonderful although the dog was not impressed having to shower on holidays. The dog park is awesome and a stones throw away. We had dinner at Shades with our dog who enjoyed a meal off the doggie menu. I found the whole area very dog friendly and it was easy to walk with him anywhere. The only thing I found a bit crazy was the one time charge of 30 dollars for having the dog. Every other hotel we have stayed at has charged 10 dollars a night. Unfortunately we had only planned for a one night stay so it seemed steep. Next time we will just have to stay longer. It is nice to have a fenced yard off the sliding door and patio furniture to sit on while the dog was out but I have to say our above neighbour was rather loud when they walked making sleep difficult. Pretty typical of being on the lower floor of a motel. Over all a great place to stay with your dog.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
jennifer b, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Villa Inn, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Thank you for leaving a review. We look forward to seeing you and your family again!

Been to Ocean Villa Inn? Share your experiences!