This hotel is now formally a Fairfield Inn and Suites, one of the Marriott brands. I have been an occasional business customer over the years and wouldn't hesitate to be a repeat customer. Yes, renovation continues, but what the critics don't mention is how much improvement in the property can be bought with 4.5 million dollars.
The makeover is impressive, and you're met with a lobby that has been completely renovated. It's bright, welcoming, and user friendly, with a business work area that includes computers, internet access, printing capacity, etc. Check in was responsive and fast, as was checkout. In the interim I experienced their breakfast offering, which was more than adequate. In addition to the requisite cereal, bagels, OJ, etc. they offer the capacity to make waffles and have a selection of Jimmy Dean Bacon or Sausage and Egg muffins that can be microwaved.
The rooms have been totally re-done and they are comfortable, roomy, and very nicely appointed. Mine came with a King sized bed, a comfortable easy chair and ottoman, a work desk and chair that were very comfortable and functional, the usual flat panel cabled TV, new carpeting, a small fridge and microwave, and all the other amenities that usually come with a room (coffee maker, hair dryer, etc.). Internet access was easy and the signal was strong.
My room overlooked the courtyard, and that was especially impressive. New french doors ensure a clear view of the courtyard but if you are so inclined you can open them, access a small balcony, and take in the sights and sounds below, to include the water fountain, palm trees, flowers and bushes, etc. The pool and sauna areas have been renovated as well, and are in the courtyard itself.
As regards my interaction with the staff and the manager of the hotel, I was impressed. They were always responsive, friendly and accommodating and certainly made me feel at home while away from home.
Lastly, and the real kicker, is their location, which is directly adjacent to Old Town. I would estimate a walk of no more than two or three blocks to get into Old Town. The property is just off I-5 but you won't notice noise from the highway. The entire property is "gated" so you should feel safe, with the surrounding area being upscale and very nice.
I would highly recommend this hotel to the business traveler, to families and to those who want a pleasant stay with very nice accommodating staff. It's location is ideal and the improvements to the property are impressive.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked away in the culture and history of Old Town, this charming Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Diego Old Town provides the traveler with an escape from reality and the opportunity to experience the true birth place of California. Inspired by a historic Spanish Mission, this San Diego hotel provides refreshing accommodations with Marriott’s renowned service at an excellent value. We provide you with just what you need, and skip what you don't, so travel is easy and productive. Take advantage of our complimentary breakfast in our breakfast room or under our covered patio. Our convenient location provides you easy access to the Convention Center, San Diego Gaslamp, Qualcomm Stadium, Petco Park and over 70 miles of San Diego's most famed beaches. Experience something new in Old Town- Fairfield Inn & Suites San Diego. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, BookIt.com, Priceline, Hotels.com and Marriott so you can book your Fairfield Inn & Suites San Diego Old Town reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairfield Inn And Suites San Diego Old Town
- Fairfield Inn & Suites San Diego Old Town Hotel San Diego
- Holiday Inn Old Town
- Holiday Inn San Diego
- San Diego Holiday Inn