“5 Star Staff” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #62 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Herriman, Utah
“5 Star Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My family and I spent 3 nights here in December. The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating from the moment we walked in the door. They took every opportunity that our experience with the property was as important to them as it was to us.

Our first day we were going to do some sightseeing. We called the front desk to see if they had any discount tickets for the Old Town Trolley Tour. They said that they did not have any, but let us know they had the usual brochure rack in the lobby. My wife went down to the desk and the girl asked my wife if she were with the gentleman that had just called about discounts. It so happened that in between my call and my wifes arrival another guest had checked out and left some vouchers for Balboa Park. She asked my wife if we would like to use them since they were going to expire after that day. That got us free admission in to the Air and Space museum. We were so impressed that they would even think to try to give those out to someone. That made a day in San Diego much more enjoyable and affordable.

I cannot say enough about how great the staff was. During dinner, my son didn't really want anything on the "Taco Tuesday" buffet. The cook was out watching everything in the buffet and offered to microwave some nacho's for my son if that would be more appetizing to him. It was great.

The property was very clean, well maintained and the rooms were spotless.

Fantastic stay! I will definitely look forward to returning.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for such a wonderful review about my hotel and its staff on Trip Advisor. It is nice to hear that my staff was able to accommodate you and your family so well during your stay. Balboa park, located just minutes from our hotel, is just one of the many attractions to go see hear in San Diego and I am glad you were able to experience that first hand. I have also passed on your words to my kitchen staff and shared with them your kind review and they could not be more than happy. We take customer service very seriously here at the Residence Inn and it is always nice to hear when my staff is able to go above and beyond for our guests. We hope that you had safe travels home and look forward to accommodating you and your family on your next adventure out to San Diego.

Todd Capizzo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Pleasantly surprised by the service and quality of the Residence Inn. Great staff and they are more than obliged to assist with anything you may need.

Nice area for dogs to walk and take a run (which is key for us as dog owners).

Their coffee bar in the mornings actually consists of good coffee- which is much needed.

Nice gym- large enough for my husband and I to do our crossfit circuits.

We'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: Upper floors are more quiet- the loft plan is neat if you like the open feel.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for writing a review of my hotel on Trip Advisor. It sounds like you were able to take advantage of quite a few of the wonderful amenities we offer here at the hotel. Most of the amenities we offer to our guests are complimentary, so I am pleased that you were able to indulge where you could. We look forward to your next trip out to sunny San Diego and hope that we are able to accommodate you and your family once again.

San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

This busy spot I would pass on next time. The staff was helpful, but not overly so. I had to wait for someone to get off the phone to help me check in, although he looked at me 3 times and gave me the "just one minute look". Expensive parking that was not disclosed during my reservation making. There is nothing in walking distance to eat so you are stuck eating their complimentary food (Gross does not describe it). Breakfast was what you might expect.. scrambled eggs and sausage patties. Stuff that can be heated up without much labor. Thin walls lets me listen in on people saying good night to their kids and then snore for the rest of the night. (thank goodness for the earplugs I carry)
Issues: Odor control was lacking, My room was dirty (Room 455), I had a cracked sink and the tub had some sort of black stuff on the side.

Room Tip: Try something else near by if you have to be in the area that offers free parking.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing a review of your recent stay on Trip Advisor. I am sorry that my hotel did not meet your expectations but we truly appreciate your comments, without feedback from our guests, my hotel is unable to improve and become the best it can be. As for our complimentary meals, based on the Marriott brand standards we prepare each meal but also add a bit more to give additional options for our guests. I am sorry that you were unable to find anything that was to your liking and I would love to hear what we could provide that would help fulfill your breakfast needs. We do hope that you are willing to allow us to accommodate you again in the future so that my team and I can show you just how truly wonderful the hotel and its staff can be.

chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I searched for several months for our 4 day stay in San Diego. I wanted close to the Marine Depot and close to great food. I also wanted a clean, buffet breakfast and friendly place. I was very pleased with this hotel. We rented a car from EZ rental nearby and drove right down the road to our hotel. We wanted a larger room so we had a 2 bedroom suite. Very nice. I have to say I was disappointed in finding it was a handicapped shower instead of a second tub and not told about that. We are laid back and just decided to stay put. The front desk made up for that part. They were friendly and would go out of their way for anything. They recommended a pizza place, Bella something and a steakhouse named Hunters with the BEST prime rib I have ever had!!! Needless to say, my son was so elated to have a great pizza and an awesome steak!! All recommended by the front desk!! Thank you for a wonderful stay, we will be back for our twin sons Marine graduation sometime in July!! I will also be contacting the Mgr to let him know that he has a great team of helpful and friendly employees who do a GREAT job welcoming guests and keeping them happy!!! Breakfast was great, dinner and drinks were awesome!! And the pool and hot tub were heated and warm. We will be back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for sharing a review from your recent stay at my hotel on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to hear that my front desk team were able to help make your stay here in San Diego that much more enjoyable. Customer service is something that we strive on here at the hotel and it is nice to hear when my team is meeting the mark with our guests. We look forward to you next visit this summer and hope that we will be able to accommodate you and your family once again. Until then, I hope you are having a great start the New Year.

Orange County
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I stayed here recently with a friend and her husband after a day at the zoo. My friends were from Norcal and left for home quite impressed. Check in was a breeze with GIGI at the front desk and our happy hour host was very friendly and knowledgeable. I found our room with ease and in very good shape. I was pleasantly surprised to find the hotel had a complimentary happy hour. Our room had two bedrooms and plenty of tvs, a full kitchen with dishes and wine glasses(yay). We were able to heat up food I had brought along and enjoyed a free tasty breakfast buffet the next morning. The dining area overlooks the pool and bbq area and there is even a nice fireplace in the lobby area. The customer service of all staff we came in contact with was great! One person in our group fell in love with the bed in our room and that made his trip a 10! Location was not far from the zoo, the mall, plenty of restaurants, stores and right off the freeway. I hope they keep up the good work!
Only downside was bathroom in the two bedroom is in one of the bedrooms-

Room Tip: back side away from highway
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing a review of my hotel on Trip Advisor. I am so delighted to hear that my front desk agent, GIGI, was as accommodating as possible and was able to leave such a great impression. I have passed on your kind words to her and she could not be more pleased to know that her hard work is paying off! It sounds like you and your family were able to take advantage of the space and the amenities the hotel has to offer. We do provide almost a full kitchen, just missing the oven, as well as all the dishes and plates to go along with it, to make our guests feel as home as possible. On behalf of my staff and me, we look forward to your next adventures to San Diego and hope that you will allow us to accommodate your family once again.

California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Our family of 4 stayed here for 2 nights. We were in a one bedroom suite with sofa and it fit our needs just perfectly. Although the walls in the hotel are thin and you can hear other guests fairly easily, we enjoyed our room and its location (2nd floor over looking the pool). The hotel was not too crowded so the noise didn't seem to be that big of a deal to us. Plus, the beds are very comfortable so that helped us get a great nights rest.
We especially enjoyed the kids activities. We participated in the game night and it was nice to sit down and enjoy some great board games and some tasty treats. The gentleman in charge of the kids activities (I believe his name is Brian) was great! Very friendly and enthusiastic about the program. The front desk and housekeeping were also very friendly and provided great customer service.
The pool and hot tub were the highlights of the trip for us. In fact, our kids opted to stay and swim rather than go out and do other sightseeing activities. It was unusually cold in San Diego during our stay but the pool is heated and was very warm. We are definitely looking forward to planning another trip and staying in this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for writing a review of your recent stay at my hotel on Trip Advisor. Here at the Residence Inn Mission Valley, customer service is one of our main priorities and it is always nice to hear that my teams are able to assist and make our guests feel at home. The kids activities is a newer program here and Brian really loves coming up with different arts and crafts projects for the kids to participate in and we have gotten nothing but great comments from it and I am glad to hear that you and your family were also able to take partake as well. The next time you and your family are able to visit, we hope that you will look us up and maybe you can convince the kids to go on an excursion or two around our beautiful city. Until then, I hope you are having a great start to the New Year.

Grapevine, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My family of 4 (2 parents, 2 college-age kids) stayed at this hotel for a week. We were very pleased with the service - complimentary beverages nightly and light dinner most nights, full breakfast daily (including heart healthy/light options!!!!), coffee and fresh ice water available all day in the lobby, laundry, business center, small sundry shop, pool and jacuzzi, above-average gym, basketball court, even a small game room. The service we received from housekeeping was exceptional. Our room had a full kitchen, and we used dishes and the coffee maker daily. Every day, the dishes were done, and the coffee pot was cleaned. Our coffee supplies were generously replenished every day. Linens were fresh, everything was neater than neat, and we never ran out of toiletries.

I felt very welcome here. The staff was friendly and accommodating.

This hotel is centrally located near where I-8 meets 163. We were literally close to everything - the airport, the harbor, the beach, the mall, Old Town, Sea World, and tons of restaurants. However, the location is set back from the road (eliminating freeway noise, by the way), so watch carefully for the sign, and beware of iPhone Maps directions. The app sent us up into a residential area, trying to get us to the back of the property (we presume). If your GPS doesn't tell you to exit the 8 or the 163 onto Hotel Circle, you may want to call for directions, or just search for "Hotel Circle South" and watch for the sign.

The only negative comment I have is the noise in our room, and this may have been isolated to our room only, due to it's location. We were in room 145, which is below ground level, and has a walkway and ramp directly above it. All night (it seems), people would walk over the walkway, often dragging suitcases, making one of the bedrooms noisy. The walls seemed thin, as we could hear muted conversations and other creaky noises around us. None of these issues were annoying enough to cause us to ask for another room, and all noises were easily eliminated with earplugs (my answer to noise in any hotel).

Bottom line, I would definitely recommend this clean, convenient, friendly hotel if you need two rooms but want to be together. (PS - they allow well-mannered pets as well!)

Room Tip: Some first floor rooms are below ground level, so if you want sun, make sure to mention it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for reviewing my hotel on Trip Advisor. I have made sure to pass on your kind words to my housekeeping department. It is always nice to hear praises that my teams have met, if not exceeded, our guest’s expectations. The housekeeping team works hard every day to make sure that the rooms are nothing but the best for our guests. It sounds like you and your family were able to enjoy yourselves while here in San Diego. There are so many amazing things to do and see in this city and our hotel is perfect for those who are here to get out and explore. I hope you and your family had a great new year and that you will allow us to accommodate you once again.

Todd Capizzo

Been to Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley? Share your experiences!