“nice stay at Residence Inn Mission Valley” 4 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #69 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Certificate of Excellence 2014
indiana
“nice stay at Residence Inn Mission Valley”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2007

Residence Inn Mission Valley is in a very convient location on Hotel Circle, easy access to highways, shopping, downtown, Hillcrest neighborhood and attractions. Room was clean, beds were comfortable, free wireless internet and parking. Staff were helpful and breakfast and managers receptions were all all good. I had a government rate so the rate was very reasonable. I was attending a conference at the Town and Country convention center and was very glad I choose to stay at the Residence Inn rather than at the Town and Country based on comments from others who were staying there.

• Liked — location and space in room
  • Disliked — shower
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Glendale, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2007

The hotel was nice and decent. Its a condo style accomodation. The hallways and interior needs to be changed though. The staff were excellent. The complimentary wifi and hot buffet breakfast is wonderful. The only thing i can comment on the property was that on their website they said they have a heated pool, but when we were there and used the pool, it was sunday morning right after breakfast , the water temperature was freakin COLD. They tried to turn the heater on but unfortunately, we need to check out so we havent tried how heated was their pool will be. Overall it was a pleasant stay and hope to stay there again.

Stayed September 2007
Las Vegas Nv
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2007

First i would like to say that it is a new hotel, i have tried to only stay at residence inn hotels for more than 10 years now, i'm a big fan. I grew acustomed to the seperate and quiet bungalow style rooms that the older hotels offer, kinda gives you an at home feeling, well this hotel doesn't offer that style of rooms or feeling, it's one of those drag your bags for what seems like forever to an elevator down the hall and around the corner type feels, and with a family of four, plan on making trips. The rooms are very nice, full kitchen, and this hotel isn't short on amenities very nice pool, even though they say the pool is heated it isn't, anyone with small kids the wading pool is an excellent idea, the full breakfast is great, great staff. FREE internet NOW(used to cost 10 bucks a day) my only other gripes are the $10.00 bucks a day for parking. I could possibly see that if it was an open or shared parking lot, but it's a HOTEL ONLY private parking lot, so 10 bucks a day and anywhere from $180.00 bucks and up a night for a room,( i'm not a greedy or cheap person, paying that much i think that reflects that, there are plenty $60-$80 hotels all around this place) one would think the small amenities like the internet access (since they mostly cater to the business traveler) and DEFINITELY A NECESSITY LIKE PARKING YOUR CAR would be included, and last but not least the A/C. I don't know about all of you who reads this but to me A/C is a comfort, and it definitely helps me sleep better, well the selling point of most hotels is "come on in,and get a good quiet nights rest", well i don't know if this is a designer's flaw, or a marketing plot to keep their light bill down, but the main A/C operator(the one usually hidden in closets that you can't see or hear) well at this hotel it's located in the wall at the very foot of your bed(yes in the bedroom) so it's very disruptive and almost impossible to sleep with, therfore you will turn it off to go to sleep, thus resulting in lower operation, thus lower light bill (you be the judge) and you can hear the TV and people faintly talking in the next room over,but these are my only few disappointments. Now with this you may call be a whiner but i would like it if they transition like the other hi-end hotels and go to the nice flat plasma TV's. I would stay here again because i'm a long time fan, but i would first check for an older location near by first, the A/C is a real disappointment. Seaworld, zoo, downtown, and great restaurants are very close by making it a plus for location. YES i would recommend this hotel to anyone whom could look past my gripes about the place.

• Liked — Staff and cleanliness
  • Disliked — A/C in the bedroom
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2007

I found this hotel to be a great find! The rooms are wonderful, we stayed in a 2 bedroom/2 bath suite which was very comfortable, clean and homey. The staff was friendly and patient and the continental breakfast was excellent. The pool area is fantastic. And the hotel's location is very close to Old Town.
I had one snag in forgetting my phone charger in the room. After a staff miscommunication on it's whereabouts I was immediately sent a replacement.
I would love to stay there again!

• Liked — The pool and the suite.
  • Disliked — That the pool closed, I wish it was open a bit later.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2007

Let me preface by saying that I worked for Marriott for 7 years up to managing my own property, so maybe I'm a bit of a hotel snob. That said, this hotel absolutely exceeded our expectations and I am soooo tough to impress (so my husband reminds me daily).

While checking in, an Engineer was nice enough to bring our 2 year old daughter a little stuffed animal of a whale to "welcome" her to San Diego. It was a very thoughtful gesture and indicative of the level of customer service we had for the entire stay. Even though they were very busy during the week we were there, the staff was super.

The kitchen/living room and bedroom split with two kids under two years old was our saving grace. If one wasn't sleeping, we just went into the other room. We found that the "fan" option of the A/C and heating unit was great as a "white noise" machine. Except, without a bit of adjusting by my husband, then a hotel engineer and finally by (yes, a woman) me--- the air did not have a turbine air effect on anyone in the beds in the bedroom area - just lots of fan noise that my kids appreciated and blocked out everyone else's coughs, movements and noises in the hallways and even our room one foot away.

My daughter, 2, especially loved the kids' pool. The hotel was awesome enough to think of putting inflatables in both the big and small pools. They even had a little area around one of the palm trees that my daughter lost herself in for over an hour after breakfast one day.

The breakfast, by the way, far exceeds even Residence Inn, or even Courtyard standards. This is a FULL breakfast people! Pancakes, oatmeal, waffles, eggs, sausage, cereal, fruit, yogurt, the works. I was really blown away. We even had a great lady walk around one day with a cart full of kiddie cups and straws and juice for the kids. It was a thoughtful touch to what can be a hectic time of day.

The whale statue in the lobby and the kids' corner that had a TV tuned into the PBS and Nickelodeon stations for Dora, Diego and other kid friendly shows during meal times.

Housekeeping was just okay during our stay (I'm sure they hated going in our room given the messy state it was always in). It was nice that they did the dishes every day, though. All in all, we'd definitely stay at this location again.

Stayed August 2007
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2007

I enjoyed the stay at Residence Inn. The room accomodations and amenities offered were great except for a few complaints such as bad internet connection, the bedroom door was blocked by the bed, the headboard on the bed was a noisy when doing the wild thing, and the parking availability was ridiculous.
None the less, the pros outweighed the cons. I'd stay here again. if it was our last resort.

Stayed July 2007
Atlantic City, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2007

Having written a lengthy review one year ago that chronicled some problems with this particular hotel, I hoped that we could find another hotel for this summer's San Diego vacation. However, with 4 free nights from our Marriott Rewards Visa (for a 2 bedroom suite w/bunkbeds @ over $300/night), my wife and I couldn't resist another attempt. After spending 4 days in Los Angeles, we drove down to San Diego and checked in. That went smoothly, and the manager, Tom (I believe) was very accomodating. We did request a room that was on an upper floor and facing outward toward the parking lot, since the noise from the pool kept us awake last summer (all rooms either face inward toward the pool or outward). When we entered our upstairs room, we were immediately greeted with a horrible smell. It smelled like something from the beach had died there! Since the room was warm, we thought that the air conditioning would remedy this problem, so we unpacked our 8 suitcases. Upon our return from a day of fun the following day, the smell again overtook us. Long story short... they had maintenance come up on 3 different occasions (once, the maintenance worker stuck a "STICK UP" behind our TV), and finally admitted that they were having problems with a drain in the building. Even the hallways smelled. In fairness to the hotel staff, they did, however, offer to move us, but with so much luggage already unpacked, we suffered through it. As far as the rest of the hotel, the breakfast was fine, as usual. Belgian waffles, eggs, pastries, oatmeal, fruit, etc... The manager's reception Mon. - Thurs. was okay, too. Nachos one night, burgers/dogs another, Mexican one night, and fettucine/salad, as well. This allowed us to save some money, and they had mac and cheese for the kids. Housekeeping did an okay job, all of the employees were very friendly, the pool was nice and this year, our plan to cut down on the noise from the paper-thin walls worked (stay on the 4th floor if you can - that way, you only have neighbors below you). Overall, it is a very family-oriented hotel. Remember, though, request an upstairs room that faces out toward the parking lot - it may cut down on noise.

• Liked — Friendly staff.
  • Disliked — The room smelled.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley? Share your experiences!