“A hop, skip and jump to the airport” 3 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #191 of 270 hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Challis, Idaho
“A hop, skip and jump to the airport”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

This property is ideal for getting to the airport quickly and easily; the beach also is easy to get to. I can't attest to the breakfast because we had to catch a flight too early. The room was adequate, a little larger than normal, and clean, beds and pillows were comfortable. The bathroom is small, the shower is old-tile with a rusty showerhead, and the only ventilation is a small window...no fan. There is no "business center" but the desk clerk did let me print off my boarding passes on the office computer. The 3 different staff members I chatted with during the stay were all pleasant.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
SonnySanDiego, Manager at Comfort Inn At The Harbor, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay at Comfort Inn At The Harbor.
The staff and I are happy you enjoyed our location near the airport. I am sorry you were not able to have the morning breakfast. We hope you will stay with us again should your travels take you to the Point Loma area,

115 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Background: We stayed on a Saturday night for a weekend visit to San Diego. We travel several times a year to San Diego and have stayed in many hotels/motels in the region. This was our first time staying at this property, but have stayed at others in the Harbor region. We chose this property to take advantage of a 30% fall special discount and a Choice Hotels frequent stay bonus (one night free for every 2 paid stays).
Location: The Harbor is close to fishing excursions, beaches/Mission Bay, Sea World and the Airport. Not far away is downtown, San Diego Zoo (in Balboa park) and Old Town. We drove from Los Angeles, and as with many locations in Southern California, public transportation options are sparse.
Reservations/Check-in/Front Desk: Reservations through the Choice Hotels website was smooth and check-in was similarly smooth. We found the desk staff to be very friendly and hospitable. The room was pre-paid through the Choice Hotels and at check-in and check out we were told that everything is paid for. On checking my credit card statement several weeks later, there as an extra charge for ~$2. I called Choice Hotels customer service and they contacted the property; the charge was for using the room safe. Hmmm ... we never used the room safe and I don't even recall seeing it. They will be reversing the charge.
Accommodations: The room was spacious and clean. A large pick-up truck was parked halfway in the aisle (another guest), so parking was a little tight. The property and room were a little "dated," but the bed, TV, shower all worked fine. The shower was in the corner of the bathroom - spacious, but dark.
Extras: We especially enjoyed the free breakfast which included eggs, sausage & blueberry waffles.
Summary: There are many excellent choices in San Diego, and this was a fine choice given the price/deals. However, I hate sneaky extra charges. Therefore, I downgraded my rating. I'm not sure I'd stay again ... too many good alternatives.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
SonnySanDiego, Manager at Comfort Inn At The Harbor, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Hello,
Thank you for commenting on your stay with us. We are delighted you enjoyed your accommodations. Our location in Point Loma is great. We are located minutes from downtown San Diego, Balboa Park and The San Diego Zoo. We are also just across the street from the Sports Fishing docks and within walking distance to some very tasty restaurants. We hope to see you again on your next trip to the area.
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for only one night because we were flying out early the next morning.
We were a little confused that people said this was a noisy place as it gets very quiet once the evening arrives. We went up and sat on the deck and it was peaceful there. We turned in our car in the evening and took advantage of the special rate for the airport shuttle that the hotel offers. I also took a walk up the street and there are several places to eat nearby although we didn't go out to any of them. I even spotted a Ralph's market within about a block, and thought that was a plus too although I didn't go in. Our room was very nice although the bathroom was a bit small.
The staff was very nice to us and we couldn't have asked for nicer people. We didn't take advantage of the breakfast because we were leaving so early in the morning, but they called for the shuttle for us and it was there right on time, actually I think they were early. If you are looking for a reasonably priced hotel near the airport, I can't think of a better place to stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hello,
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay at Comfort Inn At The Harbor. The staff and I are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us. I am happy you were able to enjoy the sun deck, it does have a great view of the Sports Fishing Docks and all the fishing boats. If you are in this area again, please try the seafood restaurant located on the docks. We look forward to your next trip to Point Loma.
Nanaimo, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

This is second time we have stayed here e route to somewhere . The evening staff AJ is great very helpfull. Internet connection was not available at all and the bed seemed soft this time . Morning breakfast is good for a free one,muffins, sausage and eggs , good coffee we gave them a credit card on checking in and the am staff wasn't going to let us pay cash rather than use our card but after giving him exact payment he was accepting it

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
SonnySanDiego, Manager at Comfort Inn At The Harbor, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Comfort Inn At The Harbor.
We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please accept my sincere apology for the internet not working. The wireless internet support has corrected that issue. Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon.
Vadodara, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

we stayed for two nights and went to san deigo zoo and sea world on separate days from here....hotel is very clean...nice breakfast and very good service during the breakfast...very friendly staff at check in...rooms are very nice....however, i would not recomend it for stay if you are in san deigo only to visit these parks...there are better and cheaper places near the park!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
SonnySanDiego, Manager at Comfort Inn At The Harbor, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Hello,
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay at Comfort Inn At The Harbor. The staff and I are happy you enjoyed your morning breakfast and your accommodations. We are centrally located to many of San Diego main attractions including only ten minutes away from Sea World. We appreciate your time and valuable feedback and we hope to see you on your next visit to San Diego.
Hemet, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

We stay here when we're flying out of San Diego Int'l Airport. This was the first time we traveled with our 9mo old. I think they've updated the rooms, the floor was laminate. They already had our room ready with a crib. We stayed twice in October: night before an early am flight and the day we flew in.

Our second room looked really clean, but our baby's feet were black after a few minutes of toddling around. It was obvioud they didn't mop in between bookings.

The breakfast is consistently good - continental with sausage & egg makings for breakfast sandwhiches. The staff refreshes all items frequently.

Pizza Noval and Point Loma Seafood are within walking distance - great eats at both places.

Room Tip: Room 101 has an adjacent room with bunk beds and the main room had enough room for a crib.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
SonnySanDiego, Manager at Comfort Inn At The Harbor, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Hello,
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay at Comfort Inn At The Harbor.
Please accept my sincere apology for the flooring. I have informed the housekeeping supervisor of this matter. We did recently change the flooring in the rooms.
I hope you had a relaxing vacation and we hope to see you again for your next flight out of San Diego.
Southampton, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Two night stay after cross country ride. Hotel is clean and well appointed. Staff friendly during check in and breakfast girl was very attended to our needs. Across the street from America's Cup Harbor and over night fishing trip marina. Hotel is clean but is dated as it probably was a vacation weekly rental type motel before. No tub but shower only, which was fine and probably the first hotel were I had a window that opened for the bathroom. Also suite room had an extra room for ?children? with a sofa bed but no TV, (I am sure that the hotel staff would get a TV into that room as there is a cable hookup in that small room. We arrived 5:30 pm (Sept.19th) after making reservations with Choice Hotel Rewards Program, everything fine with check in.. 6:30am breakfast start was fine and food was plenty and fine for the price (free). Overall I would recommend this hotel. The outdoor pool looked clean but I didn't get the opportunity to use it. The 2nd story large balcony overlooking the Harbor was great and comfortable All good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
SonnySanDiego, Manager at Comfort Inn At The Harbor, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Thank you for commenting on your stay at Comfort Inn At The Harbor. I am happy that you enjoyed your accommodations. The morning breakfast is a very good start to the day. I am glad you were able to relax on the sundeck, especially after a busy day of sightseeing. I hope you were able to visit some of the local restaurants at the Sports Fishing Harbor, many of them have the fresh catch of the day on their menu. The staff and I hope to see you soon.

Been to Comfort Inn At The Harbor? Share your experiences!