“Walk with the Locals” 5 of 5 stars

Chapala, Mexico
9 attraction reviews
“Walk with the Locals”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

When you vacation, do you try to find the authentic, try to find the non-touristy treasures?
If yes, then I suggest you walk with the locals of Walkabout International, San Diego.
Walkabout consist of a group of friendly people who’ve been walking and talking for 35 years. Yes, they’re celebrating their 35th anniversary this year - March had several special walks. Joining the Walkabout group is a great way to talk with local San Diegoians, some who’ve lived there all their lives. Anything you want to know, you can ask these wonderful walkers. A recent recommendation took me to a fantastic Farmer’s Market in Little Italy. Another recommendation got me to a Trader Joe’s near my daughter’s new home. Several of the groups eat together after the walk – and they know the places with the good deals and the deals are often not on the menu. People on these walks include long-time residents, people who’ve recently moved here, snow birds here for their winter, a few vacationers like me, and usually more women than men. Because I go during the day on weekdays, fellow walkers are mostly retirees.
I’ve been on six walks: Shelter Island walk and talk, Shelter Island up thru the hills, Mission Beach, Old Town, and two special 35th Anniversary Walks (Urban Oasis in Tecolote Canyon and Hotel Del’s “Beautiful Stranger”). As a regular walker, the “moderate” walks match my usual speed, the “casual” walks are a little slow; nonetheless, I enjoy the company and enjoy were the walks take me. (A recent walk took me to a very private beach that’s public but you’ll never find it without a local.) I haven’t done a night or wildness walk yet. Groups meet at designated locations, people sign in, there’s a “leader”, and they start on time. The walks are free – really - I’ve never been asked for any money. Don’t think “organized tour”, think “walking, talking and sharing.” Their informative web site has a calendar that lists all the walks - http://www.walkabout-int.org.
So get out, enjoy the weather, get a little exercise, and walk and talk with the locals.

Visited March 2012