“Not the best location in San Diego” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #109 of 268 hotels in San Diego
Aventura, Florida
“Not the best location in San Diego”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Pros: excellent customer service, like most W's. Fast check in / out.
Excellent internet speed.
Roof Top Bar (which is on the second floor, by the way) is a great place for drinks and a movie. They will provide blankets if it is chilly.
Located between little Italy and the Grass Lamp District.

Cons: not a good location. Very deserted area at night.
Breakfast: no buffet breakfast, just expensive a la carte items. If you want buffet breakfast, go down a block to the Westin and for $18.00 you can have it. At the W you will get a fancy omelet for that price.
Rooms: I got an upgrade to an Spectacular room, which was very comfortable, but there was nothing "spectacular" about it. Having stayed at 5 W's in last 6 months, I can definitely say not all W's are created equal.
As I do not mind walking down deserted streets at night, I would probably stay here again for the SPG benefits.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

1,254 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Although a decent hotel, I don't think this location is up the the standard you'd expect from the W franchise.

A reasonable walk from the center of town, or a taxi ride further reduces the allure.

I would stay elsewhere next time in San Diego.

• Stayed May 2014
Michael O, General Manager at W San Diego, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Hi Martin,

While we aren't the newest W Hotel, we do our best to ensure that each experience is up to our standards. We always deliver on our Whatever/Whenever service, make sure each guest is well taken care of. We are within walking distance to the Gaslamp Quarter and Little Italy. If you need some recommendations, please allow us to connect you with our Insider Megan. She would be glad to show you around.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

I am a frequent traveler and have been staying at Starwood Hotels for over 10 years, never having a complaint--but this hotel, its management and security are not representative of the W or Starwood Brand--it is my worst hotel experience ever! If looking for a good Starwood Hotel in San Diego go to the Westin or Sheraton, not the W! This place is horrible. I had a screaming, obnoxious party room next store. Despite a few calls to the front desk they non-guests were not evicted till 4am. Then the guest proceed to beat his girlfriend while she cried out for help, and ultimately ran down the hall screaming. Again no security. When complaining to management the next day they said they were not responsible for enforcing noise policies or domestic violence in the hotel--really?! Don't stay here it does not represent the Starwood Brand well.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Michael O, General Manager at W San Diego, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Hello,

We hold the security and comfort of our guests as the highest priority during every stay. I have personally looked into the items mentioned and I have followed up to ensure all proper procedures were followed. We will contact you directly to discuss further. In the meantime, should you like to contact me, please reach out to GMMichael.ODonohue@whotels.com.

San Francisco, California, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

Upon arrival at the hotel the valet team is on Q with a welcoming and personable greeting. Alfonso was able to make the changes necessary to have an awesome three day weekend.

The SPG wine reception is awesome, great selection and personable staff, the Chardonnay was excellent.

First night, hotel room paper wall thin where you can hear EVERYTHING from the doors slamming to the person that's yelling and bang on the door open the door, bathrooms flushing!

Extremely noisy with the windows hearing all the construction and wind from a badly insulation.

Second night, next room had a domestic fight all night long only to end the morning with love making noises! Keys did not work had to walk down three times only to call the fourth time and have security open the door.

In the morning I went the front desk and told them my problem only to find my door still don't work and now waiting endlessly to get my door open.

Not sure what my third night will be but will DEFINITELY not be staying at this hotel again.

When your paying $1,200. Excluding tax, parking and the incidental charges for two rooms this is not the level of service or quality of accommodations.

Carpet needs replacing, rust
and discolorations in the
grouting and the list could go on.

Now I'm waiting in the hallway and I can now hear a woman screaming with intimate pleasures!

Not good, 20 minutes later and still waiting to get my door open.

Michael O, General Manager at W San Diego, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Hi John,

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the wine reception and found our talent to be friendly. They are always happy to ensure each of our guests feel welcome and are well taken care of. If you have any issues with guest noise, please let us know immediately. Our security team will handle the situation quickly so that you can have restful night of sleep. We are a lively hotel but our guest comfort is our highest priority.

I am sorry to hear about the inconvenience of being locked out of your room a few times. We don't usually have issues with our room keys but I'm glad we could get you into your room.

We are in the process of updating our guestrooms starting with replacing all of the carpets.

I hope we can welcome you back soon.

San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

The lobby is great & I loved the music & vibe but I agree with others that say it's noisy and not a good place to chat. & chill.

The rooms are not as luxurious as other Ws I stayed in & the walls are thin so I got to listen to the couple next door fighting all night.

The worst thing though was that it took three trips to the lobby to persuade them that the lock on our hotel room door is faulty. We're now at the third request for repair in 12 hours stranded outside our room for the third time with no-one arriving to help as was promised.

Never coming back here again and never recommending this place to anyone.

If you need wifi and to park your car remember to add another $45 per day to the cost of your room. It's not such a bargain after all.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello,

We are a lively hotel. We host live DJ performances every weekend, and a few other events throughout the month. In the morning we offer complimentary coffee and Wi-Fi. It's not as busy in the morning if you are looking to relax and get ready for your day.

I am sorry to hear about the inconvenience of being locked out of your room a few times. We don't usually have issues with our room keys, but I'm glad we could get you into your room. I hope to welcome you back soon. Please reach out to me directly at GMMichael.ODonohue@whotels.com so that we might come to a better resolution.

I hope to welcome you back soon.

Michael O.
Bologna, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Well, as usual I highlight the PRO and CONTRA of many of the hotels I visit, but this time I will go beyond, reporting a personal issue
PRO:
- relatively charming. Interesting lobby
- good breakfast even though way too expensive
- The rooms are quite large, well decorated

CONTRA:
- The lobby is very noisy, especially during the evening. The rooms (at least those facing west) are very disturbed by the ongoing construction, starting at 6 am
- It is walking distance from the city attractions (i.e. the sea and Gaslamp quarter, if you wanted to call them attractions, in a city without any real charme), but it is located in an area desert at night and full of homeless.
BUT, the real problem was another. I left my Ralph Lauren pajamas (trousers and shirt) over the bed sheets in my room. On my return,the pajamas disappeared. I went downstairs to report the case and they seemed not surprised at all. "It happens sometimes" they said. As a matter of fact I met later another guest that was facing a similar problem. The day after the trousers were found and they were returned to me dirty and in a small bag. I complained because my shirt disappeared. The security manager was called and we had an "animated" discussion, because he claimed that the hotel had no responsibility, despite he said that the maid probably took linens and pajamas together by mistake, to send it to the laundry. We clarified the issue with the security manager, that was kind enough to notify the front desk to keep looking for my shirt.
I left 3 days later, and nothing happened. Now, the loss of the shirt is not a big deal, but no single word of excuses was given to me on my departure.
The US hotels (from the most simple to the most luxurious) are well known for the care of their guests. It happened to me few times in the US that for smaller issues than this, I received apologies, upgrade of the room or even discount. What I really needed this time was only this sentence "We are sorry for what happened, I hope you will come back anyhow"
Nothing happened. No way that I will come back there.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Hello,

There is a bit of construction going on around us but we are doing everything we can to ensure it doesn't disturb our guests. We are limited in our options but do provide ear plugs and an ambient noise machine in the room to help block any noise that might disturb you.

Our stylists are always careful to ensure there are no clothes wrapped in the white bed sheets as the change them, but it can happen on very rare occasions. I'm glad to hear we could locate your pajama pants. We couldn't find your shirt and I assure you we did everything we could to find it. I apologize for the miscommunication regarding your missing pajamas. Our talent is known for their friendly and helpful demeanor. I do hope that we can welcome you back for another stay.

Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

Stayed here in Feb 14 for business. The checkin process was smooth and a bit different. I had never stayed in a W before, and it took a few minutes to get used to the "vibe". They use different words like "wet" to describe the pool. Its unique, and adds a little fun.

In the evening from 1700-1800 they have complimentary wine for SPG members. You have a choice between a red and white. It isn't anything fancy, but it is a nice gesture and way to start your evening.

Parking was a hassle. The first night I got a parking ticket because I didn't read the sign properly. The city cleans the streets every other night. One night they do the left, the next the right. Just make sure you are on the correct side for the next morning and you'll be ok. You can probably find on street parking if you get back before 1900.

The pool/gym are small for a hotel of this size, but it didn't appear either was heavily used. I didn't eat at the hotel restaurant, but they have a nice seating area on the 3rd level roof.

The room was spacious and clean. My room was quiet and had everything I needed.

If I were to stay in San Diego again, I probably wouldn't stay here though. The location is right in the middle of the city, but you will have to walk 6-10 blocks in either direction to get to places to eat. If you don't mind walking, it is a perfect location. Since I was with a group, half wanted to walk and the other half didn't. If you're coming back at night there is a jail or some kind of drug intake program a block over from the hotel. I didn't have any issues, but it may make some feel uncomfortable.

Room Tip: 19th floor (I think) facing north is a decent view of the city. Streets are quiet at night so don...