“Loving the W” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #118 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Loving the W”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We rocked up to the W without a reservation... They had rooms available but couldn't match the online rates on wotif.com so suggested we use their free lobby wi-fi to book it online, to help us get the best rate. The concierge was wonderfully helpful, and after hearing we were stranded due to Hurricane Sandy she upgraded our room for free. She gave us great meal recommendations in local area, and places of interest to visit. Absolutely loved the decor / fit out. Very friendly staff, lovely rooftop bar. It's a fair walk to the bars in Gaslamp but we had a car, so that was no problem. Great valet parking service and we found street carparks outside hotel entrance very easily. Especially loved the blackboard & chalk on the wall in our room, and the daybed under the window, to enjoy a slice of harbour view. Strongly recommend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at W San Diego, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Hello, and thank you for taking the time post a review of your stay with us in San Diego. I am happy we were able to accommodate you during your travels. I hope you were not affected too terribly by the hurricane, and were able to safely arrive home.

I am glad you enjoyed our recently revealed public spaces, the Rooftop Bar has been a guest favorite!

Thank you for the recommendation, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Brad W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
london, ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We recently stayed at the W Hotel in San Diego. The lobby is very funky and welcoming. The front desk staff were extremely helpful and friendly. The rooftop bar is comfortable and a great place to have a drink. The rooms were well appointed in a boutique style. The bed and linens were nice and comfortable and I appreciated the bathrobe in the room.

The hotel is within walking distance of Little Italy, the Gaslamp District and many other nearby attractions. Public transit is readily accessible, as well.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

DO NOT stay at the W for group events. I planned my sister's bachelorette. I was on the phone multiple times for months leading up to the bachelorette. Every single time, I was told different information about the reservation. Sure enough, when I showed up the reservation was completely messed up. The pool was also the size of a jacuzzi so we had to end up going to the Andaz. It is now 2 months later and I am still trying to resolve the billing they have messed up. I don't want anyone else to go through the months of frustration I have experienced dealing with this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Hello ,and I am sorry to read about your experience at W San Diego. We host a large amount of bachelor and bachelorette parties, and I am so sorry to read you encountered any troubles. We usually hear about the amazing times and memories created.

It seems that this was not the case for your group and I apologize. I would love to discuss this in further at your convenience, as it is so atypical of a W San Diego experience.

Brad.wulff@whotels.com
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I just wanted to share a great time I recently had with some friends at the W San Diego. The hotel was recently renovated and is beautiful. The rooms are also spacious. The hotel is also close to Little Italy and the Gaslmap District. I really loved the rooftop as well to close out a night. All the staff were pleasant but I really wanted to THANK the W Insider Tim from the hotel. He personally made sure everything was set up for our trip by reaching out to us before our arrival, during our stay, and even touched base with us after our trip home to make sure everything went alright with our travels. He really went above and beyond during our stay and because of that we will be back!

Room Tip: Go See Tim, The W Insider!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at W San Diego, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us in San Diego. I am happy to see that you and your friends had a great time with us.

Our new Rooftop Bar has been a great success. Guests and locals alike are really enjoying the new look as well as the custom cocktail selections.

I will be sure to pass along your compliments to Tim, we are really lucky with our Talent.
I am thrilled to see you would return, and we all look forward to welcoming you.

Kittery Point, Maine, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stayed at the W while in San Diego for a professional conference in August, 2012. It's only a bit over two miles from the airport, and was one of the less expensive of the conference hotels, with what seemed to be a decent cost-to-amenity ratio. I had a corner room which was fairly removed from the rooftop bar and the other public areas, so it was relatively quiet. The room itself was comfortable, and the service was generally very good. The cable box on the TV died in the first couple of days of my stay, but maintenance staff replaced it promptly. All the staff were very courteous and helpful.

As for negatives, the hotel is located a block from the county jail, so the surrounding area can be a bit sketchy. I never felt particularly threatened personally, but it certainly didn't make for the best view out my window. In the evenings, the DJ in lobby/lounge area spins some pretty loud music. Since my room was well removed, it didn't cause me any issues, but I could see where it would be difficult for someone trying to use the free wifi in the lounge (you have to pay to access wifi in the rooms) to concentrate. Also, I'd wonder if the rooms on lower floors closer to the bars might have some noise issues. On the whole, though, I'd consider staying there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Hello, and thank you for sharing your experience at W San Diego. We love when our guests provide us with feedback, and appreciate any chance to improve our service.

I am glad to see you enjoyed your room, we do see a large amount of conference business due to our downtown location. As with any urban location, there can be a large variety in the
neighborhood. We are also located right between both Little Italy and Gaslamp.

I am happy to see you would return, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Redondo Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

Everything at this place has stepped up a notch since last I was there. The service most notably was terrific. The remodel of the "Living Room" was very cool as was the beach bar. The rooms are next on the docket and they're ready for it. They're still plenty nice, but it's time for a freshen-up. Really can't say enough about the service though, they really did a great job.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at W San Diego. I am so glad to see that you enjoyed your most recent visit.

I am so glad to see you enjoyed your time in our newly remodeled spaces, and it is only the beginning of more great things at W San Diego. We are always thrilled to receive great feedback on our Talent, as providing amazing service is a cornerstone of any W Hotels experience.

Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

After a visit in W Taipei and W Hollywood I have decided to stay in W San Diego last week. The hotel is downtown. It is around 10 walking minutes away from the Gaslamp district.

The parking situation around the area is bad, so I was happy about the vallet parking, although it is pricey. The check-in staff is friendly and helpful so as the concierge is. The bar in the lobby and the rooftop bar (at the third floor, still a rooftop of something) is nice and stylish and the barkeeper skilled and friendly. The gym is small but OK to work out.

The rooms are more like a traditional hotel especially compared to W Taipei. Also the bathroom is more standard than the exceptional bathrooms I was used to have at the other W Hotels. Don't get me wrong, everything is nice, but you definitely see differences.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to W San Diego? Share your experiences!