“Funky room layout but great location” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #115 of 269 hotels in San Diego
Sunnyvale, CA
“Funky room layout but great location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed at the W Hotel for 5 nights as part of a business event and while the service was great and room was new, nice and well kept, it was uncomfortable. All furniture in the room was fairly uncomfortable. The W Hotel chain is very contemporary and therefore the chairs and sofa in room have strange angles to them and are not very comfortable. Granted you may not be spending much time in the hotel room but if you need to take a business call or do some work, you are kind of stuck just sitting or laying on the bed.

Also, the room I was in, which is standard for about half there rooms in San Diego, had a living area near the hall entrance then you walked through an area that had a wash basin and a door to the right with the shower and a door to the left with the toilet. And then you continued to walk through that area to the bedroom...no walls separating the bathroom area from the living area...again rather funky especially if you were to have two people or a family staying there.

The location can't be beat as you are in the middle of the Gaslamp area and only a few steps from Petco Park and the Convention Center.

Food and drink at the W bars and restaurants is expensive so go explore the Gaslamp district for some great restaurants and bars.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms facing the hotel pool area as that turns into a bar at night and has lots of tw...
Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at W San Diego, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Hello, and thank you for staying at W San Diego during your event. We appreciate the compliments, and I am glad to see that our Talent impressed you.

I am sorry to see that you found the furniture uncomfortable; we usually receive great feedback on the style and design of our rooms. You are correct that the layout of our rooms is a design feature. While we do cater to a wide variety of guests, it is usually adults.

I hope you had a chance to experience our newly remodeled Rooftop Bar, the firepit is one of my favorite features.

I hope to welcome you back to W San Diego on your next visit, I know we can really impress you

1,260 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

W hotel is a nice hotel in a not really great area in San Diego. The staff service is awful, the minimum wait was 30 mins for a basic service. We waited around 45 mins just to have our room and around 30 mins to moove room! It was incredible for this category hotel!
They also wrong the right ammount!
Really terrible quality!

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I am sorry to see that your experience with our Talent was anything less that fantastic. We usually receive great reviews of our service, and I apologize you had to wait at all to be checked or relocated.

I am sorry to see that your experience does not reflect a stay at W San Diego, and I invite you back on your next visit. I know we can provide you with a true W San Diego experience.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I'll start with a positive. The valet parking staff were very nice, helpful and knowledgable about the city. I felt my car was safe in their hands and they didn't miss a beat in opening a door or with luggage.
There was one guest ahead of me at check-in. It was later (about 10pm), but it took quite a while to get through the process. Maybe there was a problem with the one person ahead of us. There were two people at check-in, however. Once we finally got to the room, it was average, but nothing great. I've been to other "W" hotels, so I was expecting something a little different, I suppose. The hotel didn't feel very clean, either. I requested a blanket for the 12 year old and it never came, so he couldn't go to sleep for a while. I had to request it again and it finally arrived, but it took two calls and a lot of time. We went to the pool and there is a DJ just next to it with an open wall to the pool area. The pool is outside, which I thought was nice. But on a lower floor. And when people started coming in for the DJ, it was a little strange. Also, we found cigarettes in the pool. It was just not taken care of and I've never before been to a hotel with cigarettes in the pool. Nasty. Check-out was pretty non-eventful, but overall the visit wasn't worth it. We should have gone to a different hotel. I usually don't have the 12 year-old with me, but this hotel wasn't appropriate for a kid or adults who prefer a nice, clean place with a pool. The W sent their own survey and after I had gotten it back to them, they apologized and credited my "starwood" account 2,000 points. This didn't make me feel better. It seemed like a very minor fix.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Hello, and thank you for the feedback on your recent stay.
I am glad that our Wheels team impressed you, it is always important to have a great first impression, however it sounds like the rest of your experience was not up to par.

I am sorry your Welcome did not go quicker, it is always our intent to quickly welcome our new guests. Cleanliness is always a top concern, and I am sorry your room did not meet your expectations or ours. That extends to our WET deck as well, that is not how we keep our public spaces, and I apologize for the situation. I will be sure to pass your feedback along.

I hope we can welcome you back next time, and provide you with an amazing experience.

Brad.wulff@whotels.com
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We recently stayed at the W in San Diego for one night and really enjoyed our stay. The hotel just went through a renovation, so everything is still shiny. We arrived early and even though the hotel was full the night before, they checked us into our room early. The room was brightly decorated and spacious. While the hotel is not in the center of activity, it is in a convenient location to everything in downtown. We enjoyed walking down by the water, walking to the Gaslamp and Little Italy, and running through Balboa Park.
We didn't spend any time at the pool but were caught offguard by its size--it is tiny. I'm not sure it really qualifies as a pool. There is also a roof deck and bar.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I arrived last night around 9pm. 5-10 minute wait to check-in due to a handful of guests waiting ahead of me. The lobby area is very small however that also makes it nice compared to the overwhelmingly large marriott and westin properties. The room was the typical W style hotel with comfortable linens and modern decor. As always I love the Bliss toiletries they always have. My only complaint was that there a few small bugs crawling around in the bedroom in different areas. One on the telephone, one on the stationary and one on the desk. Glad I noticed them today as I was departing. The valet guy was helpful in flagging down a taxi immediately after I left. Overall short visit. This was not my first stay and although the small bugs were a disappointment I'd likely stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on W San Diego.
I am so sorry about your experience, that is not typical of a stay with us, and I will be sure to share that with our Style team.

I know on your next visit we can really impress you, and show you a great W San Diego stay. Please let me know next time before you arrive, and we will be sure to please!

Brad.wulff@whotels.com
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Really enjoyed San Diego. We rented a car and wouldn't do that next time because everything was easy to get to. Hotel was nice but would stay at one of the Westins next time. Though they recently went through a renovation there were things that were odd like the pool area.

• Stayed September 2012
Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Nice hotel with a very fashionable lobby, nice restaurant, attractive bar. The room was large and nicely furnished but wi-fi was very slow and there wasn't any power outlets near the desk!!! Also they messed up our reservation and we almost had to change hotels on the middle of our holidays. Parking very expensive. Small pool on roof top - of the second floor - so enclosed by walls!!! Good service all around.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at W San Diego, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I am glad to see you enjoyed our recently remodeled public spaces, including our brand new restaurant, Kelvin.
Thank you for the compliments on the room, and I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced both with our high speed wireless internet and the reservations. I am glad that it worked out, and you we were able to accommodate for the duration of your stay.

I hope to welcome you back to W San Diego on your next visit!

Brad.

Been to W San Diego? Share your experiences!