“Modern and Youthful. . .” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #112 of 268 hotels in San Diego
Norman, Oklahoma
“Modern and Youthful. . .”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I was here for four days on a combination of business and pleasure. The longer I stayed here, the more I liked it. The rooms were very comfortable and the finishes were very cool. There were also nice little touches like the quality of the personal care products, the chalkboard on the wall, and the window seat. The bar was very cool also.
One of my favorite things was the location. It is a very short walk to Little Italy for some great breakfast (Check out Pappalecco) and/or night life. The walk to the Gaslamp district is a little longer but still only a half mile.
Lastly, the valet service here is top notch. They are super friendly and always offer you water and directions. Be sure to tip them good!
My only complaints are the quality of the TV reception, the plastic "glassware" at the rooftop bar, and the lack of a chair in the room.
I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at W San Diego, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Hello, and thank you for staying at W San Diego! It always nice to read that our guest enjoy the property the longer that they stay. We do receive great feedback on the quality of our Bliss Spa products, my personal favorite is the separate face wash!

I am glad you had a chance to experience our recently remodeled Living Room bar, the scene is great!

I hope to welcome you back to W San Diego soon!

1,270 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brea, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Came down to San Diego from Orange County for a Conference a couple weeks ago. I stopped in the bar at The W for a few drinks and Terrence really took care of me. It felt as though I had been a regular for a while. Haven't had an experience like that in a very long time. I will definitely be coming back to The W the next time I'm in San Diego

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

Enjoyed great drinks and fabulous small bites at the Rooftop Bar at the W hotel. Excellent service from Nesha, Terrence,and Patrick. Had the popcorn coated with agave and chili powder and it's was AMAZING!

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience at our brand new Rooftop bar! I am so glad to read our Talent impressed you, we have been getting some fantastic feedback on the quality of service there, and we are very proud of it!

The popcorn is one of my favorites too!

I hope to see you back there soon!

San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

stayed here about three weeks and a half weeks ago. not my first W Hotel experience and this was exactly what I expected. super trendy living room area with free (& fast) wifi service. drinks were stiff and good. the room was clean and simple, as always. complimentary parking was included in my room rate which was awesome since street parking in the area is hard. the only negatives I had about my stay were that the wifi in the room is not free and unbelievably slow (though the hotel waived the charges when I let them know so that was a definite plus) and the other negative is that it's not really close to anything. the gaslight district is a few blocks away but its definitely not something you want to want, especially after a few drinks. however, its a quick and cheap cab ride away and the hotel is really good about calling you a cab. so i would give this hotel a 4/4.5 stars out of 5. would def stay again when i'm back in SD.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at W San Diego!

We are always pleased to hear that we lived up to your W expectations! Offering free high speed wireless internet in our newly revealed Living Room is usually a popular feature with our guests.

I am sorry to hear about the use of the internet in your room, but I am glad we were able to resolve the issue promptly. In addition to a short cab ride, we have complimentary car service via our Acura Service for the next time you are in town! I hope that is sooner than later, as we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Quincy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

10-15min walk from the Gaslamp...so it's close to the nightlife, but far enough from the noise.

Hotel was good...still in remodeling mode, but therefore price could have been reduce.

Bar area was pretty cool, but low volume of people.

Rooms very nice, I expect that since its the W.

• Stayed May 2012
Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Though the ultra modern styling and music playing constantly wasn't my style, the food in the hotel restaurant "Kelvin" was outstanding. I ate there for breakfast and dinner twice, and this was like no hotel food I've ever had! Each item was perfectly prepared to order and artfully plated like you'd expect in a very high end restaurant. The staff were superbly trained and very responsive to any request. Overall, I was really impressed. San Diego is pricy in general and this hotel is right in line with that. The room was spacious (I had a king bed) with a cool window seat comfortable for lounging with a book. My only complaint is that the bathroom shower was poorly designed and water goes everywhere when you shower.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Hello and thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us. I am so happy to hear you experienced our new restaurant, Kelvin. My favorite breakfast is the Chilaquiles, so if you missed out make sure to try them next time!

Thank you for the kind words about our Talent, those are the best sort of compliments we can receive. I am sorry to hear about the shower, and I will pass the feedback along to our Engineering team.

I hope that you consider us again next time you are in the San Diego area.

NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I like Thievery Corporation. Just not 24 hours per day. It felt like Thievery Corporation was playing continuously in the elevators and in the lobby of the W. It got old after a while.

That being said, the staff was wonderful and tried to be helpful. The decor is almost "Mediterranean White." There was so much blue and white that I thought I had been transported to Greece! The bed was quite comfortable! I enjoyed that. The alarm clock could only wake you with a buzzer that alternately got louder the softer. Give me an alarm that will just turn on a radio station and I'll be fine with it.

The shower is a joke. It looks modern and glitzy but bottom line - it gets water all over the floor of the bathroom. Not a good thing. Also, when I was in my room, I could hear the shower in the next room. Not cool.

I wish there was a separate easy chair in the room. The only choices were the desk chair and the bed. Oh well...at least the bed was good for sleeping...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. I am a fan of Thievery Corporation as well, but any song on repeat can be a bit irritating. I will check our playlist, but we usually don’t have songs on repeat. I am glad you found our Talent wonderful and helpful!

I am sorry the design of the rooms were not too your liking, and I will pass the feedback about our showers along to our Engineering department.

Brad W

Been to W San Diego? Share your experiences!