“Well located” 3 of 5 stars
Review of J Street Inn

J Street Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Diego
J Street Inn
222 J Street, San Diego, CA (Downtown)   |
Ranked #177 of 268 hotels in San Diego
Fribourg, Switzerland
“Well located”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stayed here for 5 weeks as a foreign student. For the price, the rooms are good. But unfornately it's not very clean and the rooms in the 1st floor are very gloomy. The best point in this hotel is the location, near Seaport Village and the Gaslamp Quarter.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

20 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Apple Valley, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

I stay here for work, which my employer pays for the room. The best thing about this hotel is the location. It is in central downtown San Diego. It is within walking distance to just about everything: Seaport Village, the Embarcadero, Petco Park, Gaslamp Quarter, Horton Plaza which has a 24hr Fitness Sport, Santa Fe depot where you can catch the Coaster train and ride up the coast of San Diego county, and the San Diego Trolley that will take you to Fashion Valley, Qualcomm Stadium, Costco and Ikea amongst other interior areas. There is a 24hr grocery store two blocks away. I usually sleep with the window open and I love the sounds of the city drifting in my room.

Other than the location, this hotel doesn't have much going for it. The lobby is nice, but that is the only place you can pick up the internet. Rooms are clean, but the beds are not the best. The rooms have no decor; white walls, no wall art, open closet, ugly furniture. The bathrooms are dated but do have good water pressure. I have seem mold in some bathrooms. There is a large stainless steel sink with a garbage disposal and some rooms have a cheap plastic table and chairs. Air conditioners are old and noisy but work when you need them to, although in San Diego that is not too often.

Overall, if you want to stay in the heart of San Diego and don't plan on spending a lot of time in your hotel, this is probably a good bet. San Diego has so much to offer that your hotel should be the least of your worries. Get out and enjoy my hometown!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Sao Paulo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2008

I stayed in this hotel for 3 weeks, because i had some English Classes at a school near.

Good points:
- nice location: it´s near everything in San Diego, like a 24hs supermarket, Gaslamp Quarter and restaurants.
- very good for single students
- not too expensive
- laundry area

Bad points:
- the mattress is terrible, too soft. I left the hotel with a problem in my backs.
- the front desk is disgusting.
- it´s not a very cleanliness hotel.
- the carpet doesn´t smells good.
- weird bathroom

• Liked — Nice location
  • Disliked — Terrible Mattress
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2008

I just stayed at the J St. Inn for the 7th time over the last 8 years, each time as a tourist. You can believe all the positive reviews and descriptions, ignore the negative.

The folks behind the desk are friendly and helpful. When I arrived at around 9 am, Todd checked me in and handed me my key in about three minutes, the room was ready, and spic and span.

The toilet flushed perfectly every time, including paper!!!!!!

The shower is wonderful; powerful pressure and massive flow of water (one of the strongest I ever experienced - really). Hot water is instant and plentiful.

The bed is excellent, firm with two good pillows. Aircon/heater worked great, and lots of cable channels, including HBO. Brushing your teeth in the kitchenette sink is a little weird, but who cares.

Later, Ron let me use the desk phone for some calls outside of 619. The room price is only 7 cents minute for local, and 10 cents a minute for long distance (compare that to any hotel). Only caveat is you need to make a $20 dollar deposit. Your room can be dialed directly, and the folks at the front desk are great at taking messages.

One great thing is how quiet it is. In all my stays I have never had a noise problem, either from another room, or from outside. The windows really block out street noise, and the walls keep out any noise from other rooms (I'm especially sensitive to this).

The folks staying here are mainly long term residents, and very friendly and respectful. I have had some bad experiences at fancy hotels with noisy, obnoxious guests (especially when they are in groups). Never here!

This isn't fancy, but equivalent to a La Quinta or Comfort Inn, with a perfect location in the Gas Lamp Quarter, only one block from Ralph's. Dozens of restaurants, including Dick's Last Resort, The Rock Bottom Brewery, and Bucca de Beppo, are only a few minutes walk.

For a weekly rate of only $300, around $43 dollars a night, this is an incredible value. As long as it's available, I will never stay anywhere else in San Diego.

• Liked — Price, comfort, location, friendliness
  • Disliked — Only for longer stays (weekly rate).
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2007

I just stayed here in Oct 2007 for the meeting at convention center. It's very convenient and very close to the convention center.

The price is good. The rate is a flat rate/ week- $280 ($309 including tax) per week, even you stay 1 nigth or 6-7 nights. So, if you plan to stay in San Diego for whole week, this is really really good deal. You can choose double-bed room or single-bed room at the same price. For my opinion, I suggest you to book for double-bed room because single bed room is very very small.

In the room, they have microwave, small fridge, coffee maker, hair dryer, ironing, free wireless internet, TV cable with several channels (no HBO). There is a maid to clean everyday. The one thing I don't like is bath towel. Otherwise, it's great, and I will recommend my friends to stay there if they go to San Diego.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
midlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2007

I am a female traveller and have stayed at the J Street Inn three times and each time was for 3 mnths. I wouldn't recommend it as a hotel, but as a long stay it is great. My double room worked out at aprox £20 per night (after 6 wks you get a refund of tax). Most of the people staying there are on low incomes and it is their permanent residence - you do meet some weird people in the lift / laundry from time to time but I never encountered any problems with them and most of the residents are fine and extremely friendly. The receptionists are generally ok (remember, this isn't really a hotel) and there is a maintenence guy who usually fixes any problems (though this may take a couple of days). The last review made me laugh - yes, he's right, the toilets do NOT flush paper. I lost count of the number of times I had to use the plunger to sort it out! The room itself contains: a double bed, a small kitchenette area (microwave only - no proper cooker), a plastic garden table and plastic chairs and a bath and toilet. The more expensive rooms are on the higher floors and have the same amenities but alot more space and a better view. Because this is generally a place for longer stays there are lots of rules and regulations: no toasters, no noise and any visitors have to sign in at reception.
I think if you are young and not too bothered by asthetics then this place is paradise - the location and price can't be beat - you are right by: seaport village, horten shopping centre, ralph's grocery supermarket, the gaslamp quarter, the harbour and the trolley for Tijuana. However, there are tramps who live/sit in the footpath about 100 yards from the front entrance and though they are harmless and don't beg for money, the smell can be pretty obnoxious sometimes...

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the toilets!
  • Stayed September 2005, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2005

Ok, I knew when I read the other reviews what to expect but I didn't think it would be this bad, but it was.

Lets start with the moment we stepped into the "Inn" the clerk at the front desk was not very helpful at all he has a rather dry and somewhat nasty demeanor. When asked about the area he seemed to be annoyed to answer questions on where to go. He offered no info except for pointing to the shelf of travel brochures in the lobbby.

The "Inn" fails to mention the fact that their toliets CANNOT flush toliet paper down. The first night there the toliet stopped flushing and was about to overflow. When I called the front desk the clerk told me to come to his desk and get a "plunger" to plung the toliet myself. I have never used a plunger in my life by the way. He seemed so shcoked to hear that. The Horror. Here I am in evening attire about to go out and having to plung my toliet in my room. Needless to say its didn't wok and the toliet was about to overflow. That's when I demanded someone come and assist me or allow me to change rooms. Some man came with gloves and took care of the toliet. Do you think I was given gloves when the clerk gave me the plunger NO!!

Also, the hall floors are rather nasty and have stains and water all over. The hall floor was soaked with water, actually someone's toliet had overflowed and have ran out into the hall. YUCK.

The smell of the room was one of moth balls along with a senior citizen home funk. It was a smell like no other it was AWFUL the smell was actually like nothing I have ever smelt before and pray I will never smell again.

The bathroom did not have a sink it it just the nasty toliet and shower (shower was clean, what a surprise) The kitchen sink was in the other room and that's where you had to brush your teeth and wash your face. It was strange. The bathroon was so small and it held hot air in. The towels also had a funky smell.

I booked this hotel at the last minute and all the nicer hotels were completely booked or where asking for $300 a night and up. I was only staying there one night thank God. I don't think I could have endured another night. The only good thing about this shanty was its location...walking distance to all the nightclubs and restaurants. Take my advice don't wait until the last minute to book and hotel on a holiday weekend and if you are on a budget then save money to stay at a nice hotel this place will make you want to sleep in your car.

• Stayed July 2005

Been to J Street Inn? Share your experiences!