“Best for price” 5 of 5 stars
Review of J Street Inn

J Street Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Diego
J Street Inn
Save Saved
You added J Street Inn to your Saves list
222 J Street, San Diego, CA (Downtown)   |
Ranked #193 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Alabama
“Best for price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2007

I just stayed here in Oct 2007 for the meeting at convention center. It's very convenient and very close to the convention center.

The price is good. The rate is a flat rate/ week- $280 ($309 including tax) per week, even you stay 1 nigth or 6-7 nights. So, if you plan to stay in San Diego for whole week, this is really really good deal. You can choose double-bed room or single-bed room at the same price. For my opinion, I suggest you to book for double-bed room because single bed room is very very small.

In the room, they have microwave, small fridge, coffee maker, hair dryer, ironing, free wireless internet, TV cable with several channels (no HBO). There is a maid to clean everyday. The one thing I don't like is bath towel. Otherwise, it's great, and I will recommend my friends to stay there if they go to San Diego.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Families
midlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2007

I am a female traveller and have stayed at the J Street Inn three times and each time was for 3 mnths. I wouldn't recommend it as a hotel, but as a long stay it is great. My double room worked out at aprox £20 per night (after 6 wks you get a refund of tax). Most of the people staying there are on low incomes and it is their permanent residence - you do meet some weird people in the lift / laundry from time to time but I never encountered any problems with them and most of the residents are fine and extremely friendly. The receptionists are generally ok (remember, this isn't really a hotel) and there is a maintenence guy who usually fixes any problems (though this may take a couple of days). The last review made me laugh - yes, he's right, the toilets do NOT flush paper. I lost count of the number of times I had to use the plunger to sort it out! The room itself contains: a double bed, a small kitchenette area (microwave only - no proper cooker), a plastic garden table and plastic chairs and a bath and toilet. The more expensive rooms are on the higher floors and have the same amenities but alot more space and a better view. Because this is generally a place for longer stays there are lots of rules and regulations: no toasters, no noise and any visitors have to sign in at reception.
I think if you are young and not too bothered by asthetics then this place is paradise - the location and price can't be beat - you are right by: seaport village, horten shopping centre, ralph's grocery supermarket, the gaslamp quarter, the harbour and the trolley for Tijuana. However, there are tramps who live/sit in the footpath about 100 yards from the front entrance and though they are harmless and don't beg for money, the smell can be pretty obnoxious sometimes...

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the toilets!
  • Stayed September 2005, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2005

Ok, I knew when I read the other reviews what to expect but I didn't think it would be this bad, but it was.

Lets start with the moment we stepped into the "Inn" the clerk at the front desk was not very helpful at all he has a rather dry and somewhat nasty demeanor. When asked about the area he seemed to be annoyed to answer questions on where to go. He offered no info except for pointing to the shelf of travel brochures in the lobbby.

The "Inn" fails to mention the fact that their toliets CANNOT flush toliet paper down. The first night there the toliet stopped flushing and was about to overflow. When I called the front desk the clerk told me to come to his desk and get a "plunger" to plung the toliet myself. I have never used a plunger in my life by the way. He seemed so shcoked to hear that. The Horror. Here I am in evening attire about to go out and having to plung my toliet in my room. Needless to say its didn't wok and the toliet was about to overflow. That's when I demanded someone come and assist me or allow me to change rooms. Some man came with gloves and took care of the toliet. Do you think I was given gloves when the clerk gave me the plunger NO!!

Also, the hall floors are rather nasty and have stains and water all over. The hall floor was soaked with water, actually someone's toliet had overflowed and have ran out into the hall. YUCK.

The smell of the room was one of moth balls along with a senior citizen home funk. It was a smell like no other it was AWFUL the smell was actually like nothing I have ever smelt before and pray I will never smell again.

The bathroom did not have a sink it it just the nasty toliet and shower (shower was clean, what a surprise) The kitchen sink was in the other room and that's where you had to brush your teeth and wash your face. It was strange. The bathroon was so small and it held hot air in. The towels also had a funky smell.

I booked this hotel at the last minute and all the nicer hotels were completely booked or where asking for $300 a night and up. I was only staying there one night thank God. I don't think I could have endured another night. The only good thing about this shanty was its location...walking distance to all the nightclubs and restaurants. Take my advice don't wait until the last minute to book and hotel on a holiday weekend and if you are on a budget then save money to stay at a nice hotel this place will make you want to sleep in your car.

• Stayed July 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2004

Enjoy the J Street Inn!

As an annual conventioneer in San Diego, I just completed my first experience staying at the J Street Inn. This hotel truly combines the best in quality, price, customer service and convenience of location.
The rooms are immaculate, the service is outstanding, and the price can not be beat. Its location across the street from the San Diego Convention Center in the city's famous downtown Gaslamp area only adds to its great appeal.

I recommend a stay at the J Street Inn without reservation. You will enjoy the experience.

Looking Forward to Next Year,

Cameron Foster

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2004

Stayed there a couple years ago. Neat, quiet, convenient, economical.
The stove and tiny freezer very nice for making meals when we were tired from a huge hot summer convention, and just wanted to rest in the air-conditioned room.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2003

we stayed at this so called hotel and boy did I learn a lesson about roaaches bugs drug addicts alcoholics and a selection of idiots especially the staff. They looked like a bunch of morons who didn't care about anything. It is true that the rates are low but so is a chair in the greyhound bus station which is definitely cleaner and quieter than the J street inn. Yours truly an outsider which by the way is where you should be if you think about the J street inn.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2003

I stayed there in april 2003 for a conference at the convention center which is practically across the street. the room was neat and clean. the room has a tv set, microwave oven, ref and a phone. just behind the inn is the gaslamp area. the area is safe.

Been to J Street Inn? Share your experiences!