You added Extended Stay America - San Diego - Mission Valley - Stadium to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - San Diego - Mission Valley - Stadium
Ranked #174 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Waedenswil, Switzerland
“As good as expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

The arrival at the premises already gave me a nice impression. The hotel is located on a quiet side road of the interstate. The receptionist was very nice and friendly. The check in went quick and efficient. The room was as perfect as I expect it from an Extended Stay. An small shopping area is nearby and can be reached by foot if needed. There are some small shops and restaurants. It takes 3 minutes by car to the next bigger shopping area there is a Vons supermarket and Walmart. The checkout was perfect as the check in. I enjoyed the 4 nights here during my San Diego vacation.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Mission Valley - Stadium, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write such a wonderful review. It's great to hear you enjoyed our quiet location. I am glad to hear your check in and check out process was quick and efficient.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Tallahassee, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

I am currently stuck at this hotel for the rest of the week. Between being able to listen to my neighbor's television and getting to experience Internet like it's 1998, I would have checked out already and found another hotel if it weren't for the policies requiring prepayment.

No wonder they require you to prepay, then you'll be stuck.

The "free high speed internet" they advertise is anything but high speed. I measured it, it's 700 kbit/s. You can pay $15/week PER DEVICE to upgrade to 2.5 mbit/s speed. Oh, and don't think you can bring a travel router and plug in to an ethernet port and share it to only have to pay once. Nope, they've disabled the ethernet jacks in the room. It's like a trip back in time every time I watch a picture slowly load.

The walls are so thin I can hear my neighbors televisions, and if the people in the room above me walk around, yeah, I hear that too.

I would not recommend this place at all. There are other hotels in this price range that are much better. And those hotels offer full service, not the once every seven or eight days cleaning this place offers (though I did know about that beforehand).

The only nice thing about this hotel is that it is conveniently located next to Interstate 15 so you can quickly leave it in your dust.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor, then you won't have to hear people in the room above you walking...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am sorry to hear that our advance purchase did not work out for you and I want to apologized for the lack of speed of our internet. Please know we are adding more bandwidth so this won't continue to happen.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate your time. I invite you to contact me at skm@extendedstay.com if you have any additional comments. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I am ver pleased and satisfied with our experience at extended stay SanDiego Mission Valley Stadium. We came up for a Chargers game, stayed 3 nights. I recommend this hotel if you do not want to be bothered by maids / room service. It's nice because when you need towels you get them at the front desk. I also recommend this location if you are staying for a a couple if days. The kitchenette was great. We cooked breakfast every morning and even made dinner. Staying at the Extended Stay gave us everything we needed privacy and a home away from home. I'm already planning my next vacation only with an extended stay. We will definitely come back when visiting San Diego!!!

• Stayed November 2013
New Orleans, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on September 21, 2013, a day before my cruise set sail for a 15-Night Panama Canal cruise.

I have mixed feelings about this hotel. First, it is a newer hotel, and is situated in a hilly area. It's about a 20-25 minute drive to the seaport of San Diego. There are also neighboring hotels nearby.

The hotel itself is in decent condition, with large spacious oversized rooms, and a kitchenette.

In the kitchen, you're furnished with a full-sized refrigerator, microwave oven, a stove top range, a sink, coffee maker, and toaster. Also in the cabinets there are pots & pans, utensils, plates and cups. Although I didn't use any of these amenities, they were all there.

Everything in the motel room worked on the first try -- the plumbing, faucets, hot water, and lighting. We used the air conditioner too, and it worked as well. The carpet was in excellent shape, and the laminate wood flooring texture in the kitchen & bath area was also fine. The bathroom sink faucet was a bit old-looking. There is a desk with chair, and I used the complimentary internet, too.

There is an elevator at this location, too, which we used.

The morning breakfast was a major WEAKNESS of this place. It's more like a grab n' go muffins. They're very limited in their CONTINENTAL breakfast. You get a choice of 2 coffees, fruits like apples and bananas, and a couple muffin choices. There is NO waffles, and I don't remember any cereal either. What I do recall is there were oatmeal packages, where you'd have to place it in the provided cups, and fill with hot water. There is NO orange juice and NO apple juice either. Your only beverage choice here is coffee and that's it! There is also NO tables nor sitting area to eat, either.

The most pressing issue that you must know about this hotel is this -->> WATCH your bill for extra charges upon checking-out. Be SURE you go over your receipt and go through the check-out process to see your bill. TWICE they tried over-charging us. The 1st room we had, they did NOT fulfill my room order. I ordered a non-smoking King size bed, and instead we were given a 2 double beds in a non-smoking room. I told them, this is not what I ordered. They apologized, but gave me this other room instead, AND TRIED TO CHARGE ME EXTRA for this room!

Then, our 2nd reservation also resulted in about a $10-$15 over-charge on that 2nd reservation, than the price rate we signed-up for using their website. Both attempts to over-charge us were corrected.

Then, I asked another hotel guest if they encountered an attempt of over-charging. They said, "yes, we did". They went on to tell me the hotel tried to charge them for 2 days instead of 1 night, so you have to watch THIS hotel staff CAREFULLY, so that you don't get over-charged.

I have attached pictures of my recent stay in September 2013, appearing below.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Private
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is one of three locations in the San Diego Area. As a tourist this location appears to be the least appealing when mapped against the other three, but actually you have quick access via the highways. We were within 10 minutes of Mission Beach, Balboa Park/San Diego Zoo and Downtown San Diego. This location has a large shopping area with Wal Mart and Vons a block away. This is ideal with a kitchenette.

Besides the location, the most appealing feature of this hotel chain is the kitchenette. Otherwise, this is a standard cookie cutter hotel that doesn't offer any other amenities or frills. That is not a complaint, just an upfront review. My family enjoyed our stay. An assortment of breakfast items were offered, in addition to the kitchenette. We scrambled eggs to go with the muffins, breakfast bars and coffee. The place was nearly spotless and we were given all the extra linen we needed.

The only cons were the disorganization of the staff, once a week cleaning and no roll a way beds. The other two locations have roll a way beds. To their credit, the staff were generous in offering extra bedding to create a pallet on the floor; however, if we travel with more people than beds again we will stay at the other locations. The rooms with two beds are double size, not queen so the room is actually only suitable for two guests and not up to 4.

Cleaning the room only once a week is a problem if the guests don't have a means of straightening the rooms on their own. There were no cleaning supplies or a place to dispose of used towels. For two nights we didn't care, but any longer the without cleaning would have been an issue.

Regardless, we liked Extended Stay America and will look for them in the future when we travel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Mission Valley - Stadium, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm glad that the location was clean and comfortable and at the same time close enough to the major theme parks . We are glad to hear you liked our “Grab N Go” breakfast and the nearby stores were convenient for you. I do apologize that the full size beds did not work so well for you and that we did not explain our housekeeping policy more clearly, however we do appreciate the feedback so we can work on a solution to improve in these areas.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

This hotel was renovated within the last 2 years, so the rooms look refreshed, with LCD TVs and leather recliners. I love the fact that extended stay america kitchens are equipped well enough to make warm meals that require more than a microwave (the rooms have these too, in addition to a stove and full sized fridge)

A grab and go breakfast in the mornings might be for you, though I didn't quite visit it often because its easy to eat something to your liking in your room (toast, omelette etc.)

The hotel is in a very quiet location, though its only a minute away from a fair sized shopping area with Vons, Walmart, and an assortment of smaller stores and fast food restaurants like macdees and taco bell. Two miles away, Friars road has a large shopping area where you can find almost any store/restaurant.

The hotel is located a few miles inland from the beach and is north of downtown. So expect a small ride to head to any touristy place, but if you can get a good price at this extended stay hotel, it is a great value.

Room Tip: If you have a specific room preference, you could call ahead on your day of arrival and make the req...
Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Mission Valley - Stadium, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am glad to read that you were pleased with our recent renovations. Also, I am happy to hear that you had a n opportunity to take advantage of our fully-equipped kitchens. We strive to provide a "home away from home" feel four our guest and it seems we succeeded during your stay.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Originally reserved hotel circle location. Came all the way from Texas to stay at that location- as I have always wanted to stay there. Arrived the day of reservation only to be told my reservation got moved to a further, non convenient location (stadium-San Diego). The room was hot when we arrived, the AC kept turning off intermittently throughout the night. We had to unplug an replug the AC unit back in. The toilet wouldn't flush all the time. The shower made a really loud uncomfortable noise when u turned the actual shower head on. The coffee maker leaked and spilled coffee all over the counter. I called the front desk to report the problems listed above, but he hung up on me because he said he couldn't hear me and my room phone wasn't working. Called back again, and same thing- he couldn't hear me and hung up. I didn't not have a pleasant experience at all. I always opt to stay at extended stay hotels whenever I travel, which is quite frequent. I have always stayed at extended stay hotels in Austin and Dallas and always have recommended the hotel to anyone. This experience has made me second guess my referrals to his hotel. Very frustrating that for two weeks I was looking forward to staying at the hotel circle location VERY MUCH, only to be told the day of arrival that I needed to go to a less convenient location that was far from mission beach area. I really hope my concerns will be addressed. Thank you

• Stayed September 2013
Alyssa - I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. I sincerely apologize for the multiple maintenance issues encountered in your room and the poor customer service you received. I am working directly with my staff to ensure that every room is inspected properly and these issues are resolved prior to renting any room. As well, I am coaching our staff on how to provide great guest service so a situation like yours does not happen again in the future.

Thanks to your feedback, we can continue to work on providing an exceptional stay for all of our guests. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at skm@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in the area.

Been to Extended Stay America - San Diego - Mission Valley - Stadium? Share your experiences!