“Snooze No More” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Fountain Valley, California
“Snooze No More”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

There are so many reviews on this breakfast/brunch spot, so I will be brief. Everyone has their own opinions, so you probably need to try it and judge it for yourself.
We didn't like Snooze at all and I'm disappointed, I so wanted to love it. We had hoped to try Snooze in Denver on our last trip there and just didn't make it, so I was excited to see they had opened in the Hillcrest neighborhood in San Diego.
We arrived at about 9:45 am on a Wednesday and the place was packed with a wait. We felt that we had entered the Jetson's cartoon from long ago or Tomorrowland at Disney. It is retro, yet futuristic, really cool decor. We waited about 15 minutes for a table and this is where it takes a turn.
While waiting there were so many flies buzzing around, creepy. Funny thing, I don't like flies in a restaurant. We were finally seated. Service eh, no real complaint, just not upbeat, happy or friendly, just neutral. They have some interesting things on the menu, I just wasn't in the mood to have a sugar coated, dripping in sweetness breakfast so opted for the breakfast tacos. Mr. B decided on a breakfast burrito, guess we were in the mood for Mexican food.
The tacos....so disappointed. The tortillas weren't cooked, maybe steamed, but very dry. As soon as I folded the first taco, the entire tortilla crumbled and it fell on the plate, so I ended up eating it with a fork. The eggs were bland, no salt, the potatoes were a bit gummy. The taste buds were very disappointed.
Mr. B's burrito was eh as well. The flour tortilla was not toasted, and was rather gummy, flavor was simply average.
I feel like we should give it another try and order the sickeningly sweet, dripping in caramel sauce sweet potato pancakes or stuffed french toast filled with marscarpone and sugar strawberries to see what the raves are about. Then again, I think not. Too bad Snooze, this guest left unhappy. Especially when I had flies buzzing all around my breakfast.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Ludiak
“Unique menu but food was only so-so. Avoid Sunday!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We heard great things about this place and knew the wait would be ridiculous (we waited 2 hours and 20 min). Luckily there's an Urban Outfitters next door which helped with passing the time. Once seated, the staff was very friendly and efficient. The menu offered a lot of great choices but the actual food wasn't anything special. We were excited about all the usual pancakes and each ordered a different flavor. Mine, the sweet potato spice pancakes were overcooked near the edges and still raw in the center, plus I tasted no evidence of sweet potato! Out of three egg dishes that were ordered, they only was prepared correctly. The other two were either undercooked or overcooked. The one that was undercooked was comp'd by the manger after he stopped to check in and asked how the food was. That was very much appreciated.

Visited August 2013
Pleasanton, California, United States
“Snooze is NOT a sleeper!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We came to the restaurant because of a recommendation! And we double checked on Yelp! But we are convinced all the reviews were correct. This is a great place for breakfast, the variety, and the place is hopping! We enjoyed the staff and how efficiently they provided service. We had the pineapple upside down pancake and the smores french toast (they apologized because they ran out of graham cracker - the ginger snap substitution was fine.)

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, England, United Kingdom
“Mmmmmmm!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Eggs Benedict and French toast...
I think I've OD'd on French toast in San Diego, but this and Cody's were the best!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Diego
“Long wait for table and food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Be prepared to wait - we went for lunch on a Tuesday and waited 50 minutes; hostess texted us when table was nearly ready; we walked around the neighborhood during the wait. Once seated it was obvious noise level is way too high. Loud music, voices, bad accoustics. Cheery waitress took our orders relatively quickly but then we waited over 30 min for our simple grilled cheese and tomato soup orders. Our food was tasty, nothing to shout about. Maybe we will try it again when less busy - and perhaps our attitudes will improve when we don't have to wait forever for a table, then wait again for sloooow food prep.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere