“Nice property, poor breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #72 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Philadelphia, PA
“Nice property, poor breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

As a modern suite hotel in a convenient, pleasant north San Diego location, there's a lot to like about the Staybridge. It offers amenities similar to other properties in the chain (like complimentary midweek happy hours with food), and members of their IHG rewards club are upgraded to even nicer rooms. But where this hotel failed us was with breakfast. Staybridge breakfasts are usually pretty good, in keeping with the general trend of decent breakfasts in fancy "extended stay" hotels. But this time, the hot food consisted of tasteless egg Frisbees that we could put a slice of ham into. The fruit salad also looked unappealing. We ate little and had an early lunch.

There was also some annoying plumbing noises in our room -- loud enough to wake me up in the morning when a neighbor turned on some water. Not sure if there's anything the hotel can do about this, or whether it was an engineering failure when the hotel was built.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
tpeterson20, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites San Diego Rancho Bernardo Area, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dearest Guest,
Thank you very much for writing a detailed review that was commendatory yet objective when needed. Each item addressed was noted and is at present being addressed by the management on site. Rest assured your comments have not fallen on deaf ears and to date we have already begun to implement new and exciting menu items for our breakfast that will not only add value to the overall experience but refresh any sense of mediocrity in the minds of those who serve you in the buffet area. We accept full responsibility and apologize for the misrepresentation of our brands standard.

With respects to the mentioning of the plumbing noise, we would love to speak further on this matter in person or on the telephone if by chance. Part of being an active property is preparing to resolve issues such as these immediately so that any unsatisfactory guest experience is never duplicated in like manner. I would encourage you to reach out to any member of our management team so that we may take the corrective measures and also update you on the progress. We'd love to have you back as soon as possible; for that, I would contact our sales department so that we may identify your booking and show our gratitude for allowing us to make the best of the potential we're confident we have. We wish you all the best and hope to hear from you shortly.

-Kindest Regards-

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

I have been checking in and out here for a few times for the past one year. I have to say the light dinner that they provide here from Tuesday to Thursday got better and better. I realised they got a new cook who is able to cook excellent food. Now I always rush back from work to have the dinner not because it is free... All because it is tasty !!!!!

• Stayed February 2014
Dearest Guest,
We sincerely appreciate the recognition of our newest staff member. Finding the correct people for a position in hospitality can be lofty but we are in complete agreement in your comments. Any specific kudos in our individual departments only motivates us to take our level of service to greater lengths. In essence, what you've done is not only complemented our staff, you've also created a sounding board to do even better things from hereon. We'll be excited to have you back at your earliest convenience. In the meantime, we wish you all the best and the safest travels!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

This is a beautiful hotel located in a great location. My family and I stay here for three night it was so wonderful. I travel a lot and this IHG is great customer service hands down was great starting from the time we checked in until we checked out. The breakfast had fresh fruit each morning and in the evening they had meet and greet and the food was also good. They also had a shuttle to take you around within the area.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dearest Guest,
Your review of our property is precisely what we want to create for our guests. You are not a "customer" to us; you are our 'guest', and having you here with us means that we don't simply want to have a place for you to sleep. To our team, it means giving you a place that you'd want to return to because of the experience. Thank you so much for taking the time out and please let us know when your next trip is planned so we can properly thank you in person. Warm wishes and safest travels!

Laguna Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

I actually rate this 4 1/2...if they can make some rooms less noisy it is an automatic 5! I arrived very late at night to the kindest night manager who found one room left in the hotel. I was staying near a sick child in the hospital and the staff, not even knowing this, bent over backwards at every turn to help me get my bearings and even find a place to print out photos from my phone. The public spaces and breakfast were lovely and impeccably clean. The room was lovely but noisy, which the staff could hear. They staff was so sorry for the noise they graciously discounted my stay. I recently stayed in another comparably priced hotel in the area a bit closer to the Safari Park, but would certainly go back to this again instead.

Room Tip: Most rooms are spacious and quiet - just stay away from the generators - even on the 3rd floor
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
tpeterson20, Public Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites San Diego Rancho Bernardo Area, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dearest Guest,
We are so happy that your stay at our property developed into a pleasurable one. Your experience as far as the noise isn't customary although we are thankful that you contacted our staff to rectify the issue. You comfort is 'number one' and we won't rest until we know that you're satisfied with all of the effort put forth in making your stay exactly what it should be. The Front Desk Supervisor who took care of you upon departure, as well as our entire staff look forward to welcoming you again on your next trip. We wish you all the best and the safest travels in the meantime.

Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

I arrived on a Saturday evening (from India), and was welcomed by a pleasant guy with a big smile. He helped me with directions and information on the nearby town center (15 min walk), Costco (5 min walk) and even gave me walking directions. They have a cup-board, and I took my ready-to-eat for the first night from here.
The complimentary breakfast spread was good, with ample options for vegetarians (my colleague was a vegetarian) and non-vegetarians. I am a non-vegetarian, the food was good (not oily or pungent). The hotel runs a social evening concept and you can have your fill for 3 days in the week (Tue, Wed, Thu) in the evening - food and drinks (wine & beer). On one day I had a local colleague over dinner. And all this is on the house.
The hotel room was spacious and had all that you could ask for. Room service is once a week, but there was a 'mini service' everyday - e.g. the used dishes cleaned, bed tidied and toiletries replenished - this was amazing. So, after a hard day's work you come back to a tidy room.
The room has a cooking range, complete with pots and pans; so, if you can take the 15 minute walk to the town centre you can get groceries to cook in-room (most Indians will prefer this).
A complimentary shuttle service running every 15-20 mins in the morning and evening can drop you to work within a 3-mile radius.
There is also a swimming pool and basketball court and many were using them.
I recommended this hotel for all my travelling colleagues and all thanked me for it after their visit.

Room Tip: All rooms are good, I stayed at the back side on the ground floor (facing the basketball court)
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
tpeterson20, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites San Diego Rancho Bernardo Area, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dearest Guest,
It is with great appreciation that we all 'thank you' for your most recent review. Not only did you take the time to enjoy the various amenities provided but you did so in such a way that we can offer congratulations to those within individual departments whom took care of you. Our team welcomes you back with open arms and looks forward to your next visit. We wish you glad tidings and as always, the very safest travels.

-Warm Regards-
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

I've stayed at numerous IHG properties before in the past and this by far kills everyone else. From the moment I checked in I knew I was going to be well taken care of. The room upgrade was perfect (one bedroom king) and the cleanliness of the room was spotless. Yes the breakfast was so, so but free breakfast...come on! They even had a social reception at night time that offered free beer (Karl strouse(?)) and it was on tap! My stay at the staybridge exceeded my expectations. Great job to the whole entire staff. Housekeepers the chef's and the front desk! Thank you
Monte :)

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Dearest Guest,
We graciously thank you for your kind review. It is our effort to ensure your experience is well received as early as check-in and until the time you depart. The hotel is also taking new initiatives to upgrade our complimentary meal services mentioned, which will potentially be here during your next visit. Our team looks forward to seeing you again soon!

-Warmest Regards-
Urbana, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Room was nice, spacey, clean a nicely equipped, no complaints there. Front desk staff was very friendly an quick, called about an hour after we went to the room to confirm everything is five with the room, very nice.

But breakfast was much above average in other IHG hotels (I stayed at many Holiday Inns / Express, Crowne Plaze) or other brands. Namely:
(1) dirty silverware -- it looked like no one washed it before reuse. Maybe someone mistakenly returned the used silverware to clean stuff, but it was not only one knife, all of them I checked were not clean. Using plastic knife on stir foam plate was really something.
(2) no one was refilling the food choices that were eaten by previous guests. We went down at about 8am (breakfast lasted till 9:30 if I recall) and there was not much to choose from. Half an hour later, even fewer choices remained to newly coming guests.
(3) No one was cleaning the mess on the floor -- trying to not step into pancake dough spill or cereal on the floor while trying to find a free table to sit down was quite an adventure.

The worst breakfast experience in US so far, I must say.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites San Diego Rancho Bernardo Area, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear Josef S,

Thank you for submitting your review of our hotel. I'm delighted to hear that our hotel and our convenient location suited you well. I'm also pleased you mentioned our friendly Front Desk staff. However, it is very disappointing to hear about your experience at breakfast on your recent stay. I will follow up with the appropriate departments to ensure that similar incidents won't happen again. Your feedback is of great importance to us and allows us to monitor and improve the services we offer.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and I hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Staybridge Suites San Diego Rancho Bernardo Area? Share your experiences!