“Heavenly Porkers” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
Rancho Santa Fe, CA
“Heavenly Porkers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I found this place by accident when Google-ing Carnitas. Their hours are from 12:00pm to 12:00 am. So on Wednesday we arrived at 12:10pm to find a line waiting to order. I dropped my daughter off while I found a place to park. WOW she is 30th in line! Many of the people were regulars and the talk was: have you tried the Pork Belly appetizer, or the Carnitas, etc.etc. Well I was there for the Carnitas Tacos and my Daughter ordered a BLT (which really is bacon, ham, lettuce, and tomato on freshly baked Brioche, and an order of seasoned fries. Well......the carnitas was off the chart! The best I have had anywhere. Two tacos were plenty, I almost couldn't finish them. The BLT was awesome. The thick cut bacon was done to perfection and the ham was very tender and added a nice twist. However, the freshly baked brioche pulled it all together. Finally, the crispy seasoned fries were to die for. They had a nice bit of spice and had to be fried in pork fat to achieve such a great flavor WITHOUT being greasy. I can't wait to take my wife there next week!!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Grand Junction, Colorado
“Didn't live up to the hype”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We didn't find this place to be as amazing as the reviews said. We didn't like how close the ordering window was to the street, lots of flies as well. Our sandwiches need more on them besides just meat. Like sauce? Or toppings? Sorry but this place was super awesome.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing food, providing you like pork”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We really had no idea what to expect, we just new that we had to give it a try based on the amazing reviews. It certainly lived up to them.
We walked down from our hotel and joined the queue in the street. After maybe 15 minutes, we placed our order at the hole in the wall (the menu is very pork based, but everything sounds delivious). As we chose to eat in, we headed round the side and got a table and our food was brought out to us. I can't think of sufficient words to describe how good it was, but the pork belly melted in the mouth and tasted delicious and the BLT was unbelievably good.
I thoroughly recommend this place, and just wish they would open one in London!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
La Mesa, CA
“Unbelievable meals for pork lovers!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Carnitas' Snack Shack is a tiny gem tucked away where you'd least expect it! They recently remodeled and added a garden and more tables, as it used to be quite difficult to sit down! They also have a beer license now and offer many micro brews. On a large grill out back you can watch your meal being cooked! My all time fav is the Triple Threat Pork Sandwich, with pork belly, pulled pork and bacon! The pork belly appetizer is to die for, also! You can't eat there w/o ordering their delicious fries with bacon ketchup! And this trip I splurged and got the bacon ice cream sandwich! Talk about decadent. Whether ordering their carnitas, or any other pork item on the menu, you will be raving about this place to your friends!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Los Angeles, California
“Grease needed to be drained off a bit more”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

I really wanted to like this place more. It's a hip place and the flavors were good. It was just too greasy for me. The carnitas need to be drained more. Plus, being hip, it was a little pricey. I liked the beet terrine a lot and I want to go back and give them another try. It's nice that they have beer and wine, too. And a gluten free beer option for the wife! Big points for that! Maybe i should give a three and a half.

Visited June 2013