“Delicious Pork Sandwiches” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
“Delicious Pork Sandwiches”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

After living across the street for over a month, I finally went to Carnitas' Snack Shack yesterday. There was 1 person in line (this was exciting since usually I see lines of 20+ people), so I skimmed over the menu quickly before deciding on the Triple threat pork sandwich - pork schnitzel, pulled pork, bacon, pepperoni-pickle relish, shack aioli. Hey, go big or go home!

I went around the back to wait for the sandwich and was pleasantly surprised by the patio area. There was plenty of seating, it was clean, and there it felt like I was in someone's backyard for a bbq.

Once I got my sandwich, I walked home to dig in since I was cold. I split it in half with my bf and initially he thought the sandwich was small but I figured it would be filling since there was three types of pork. Plus, we had plenty of speghetti leftovers to get through.

Let me tell ya - I was happy with half because of the richness. The pulled pork and bacon stood out more than the schnitzel. In fact, the schnitzel got kind of lost in the mix. The pepperoni-pickle aioli was great and they put on just the right amount - not too much and not too little. I loved how it helped bring the entire sandwich together. I would definitely go back and maybe next time, I'll get their fries that I saw everyone with!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

San Diego, California, United States
“Great food at a reasonable price!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Just had to check out Carnitas' Snack Shack after reading the review in Triple A's Westways Magazine. Their hours are 12 to 12. Closed Tuesdays. I got there 40 minutes before opening, the line was already forming. You order and pay at the sidewalk window, then head around back to the outdoor patio to wait for your food.......I had the BLT, which also includes slices of ham. Excellent. Got the seasoned fries to go with it. Very good. The ketchup type sauce they serve with the fries I could live without.(very bland).

One friend ordered the 'Triple Threat' sandwich which includes breaded prok schnitzel, applewood-smoked bacon, and roasted pork on a brioche bun. They loved it. Another friend had one of the two specials for the day. A pulled pork sandwich, which also got two thumbs -up.

When we left there was a line of about 15 people waiting to order. This was on a Thursday. Be prepared for a line pretty much whatever time you go. But it's well worth it. Enjoy!!!!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

I can't recommend this place highly enough! Whatever you do have the bacon ice cream Sandwich!!! The Carnitas tacos are unbelievable and if they have the pork triple threat sandwich...get it! This is a pork lovers heaven! :-)

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Diego, California
“Pork, Pork and more Pork please!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I'm not one to review Restaurants on TripAdvisor unless something really stands out. And at Carnitas Snack Shack it's the pork!! Man the Carnitas tacos are delicious and BIG! Definitely getting my money's worth here. Another dish NOT TO BE MISSED is the Mac N Cheese. I crave this every now and then. And it's not on the menu all the time so order it if it is offered.

As for the restaurant, well the name says it all. it's a Shack with a remodeled area out back that seats maybe 20?! They have a small problem with flies but when the food is that tasty I would stick around too!!

Great value, tasty pork dishes and AWESOME Mac N Cheese! 2 thumbs up for sure!!

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Diego, California
“Pig out at Carnitas Snack Shack”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Chef Hanis Cavin (formerly of Kensington Grill, Chive and Mixx) has a love affair with pork. He has a little pet pig called carnitas and he has a porker parts diagram tat on his arm. And he's turned his passion into one of San Diego's unique culinary treasures.

My favorite was his piggybacking of pulled pork and pepperoni atop a crisp pork schnitzel in the amazing "Triple-Threat" sandwich. It's garnished with the house creamy rich aioli.

The "Triple-Threat" was one of the best sandwiches I have sunk my fangs into. You would think this would be over-the-top porkyness, but the aioli and pickled veggies all worked to contrast perfectly with the rich savory meats. I ate the whole thing!

Even the pastries may contain bacon, like the "bacon brittle" ice cream sandwich that provides a delicious follow-up to the overstuffed bacon BLT (lots and lots of bacon, crisp and juicy and as appealing as can be) served on buttery brioche bathed again with aioli.

For your friends who aren't so porkerly inclined, Carnitas' also offers a vegetable sandwich with pesto, and crispy Brussels sprouts flavored with Serrano chilies and tart lime juice.

The seasoned fries are some of the best in town and served with house-made ketchup.

The place is small with limited outdoor seating so get their early, it's worth the wait even if there is a small line. Everything is cooked to order so be prepared to wait a few minutes for your order. It's all about porky goodness and a culinary destination for folks like me who worship the gods of bacon.

• Visited March 2013