“Good location. Average service.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Diego - Hotel Circle

Save Saved
You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Diego - Hotel Circle to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Diego - Hotel Circle
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1515 Hotel Circle South, San Diego, CA 92108 (Mission Valley / Hotel Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
2X Points Package!
Ranked #118 of 269 hotels in San Diego
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Good location. Average service.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

The hotel is pretty convenient for access to the Old Town and Point Loma. The hotel is good, although you can see some minor wear and tear in the rooms. The TV service was poor, none of the HD channels would work (they would break interminently). The food at the bar is not bad, although there is the usual problem with a barman juggling the restaurant and the bar at the same time, which makes service very slow. The staff are friendly, although service feels casual on the borderline with informal and gives a flavour of not being professional. My travel agent messed up and instead of booking me 6 nights, booked me for 5 and 1. I went to clarify this with reception _twice_, and still on the last day they phoned me to ask why I hadn't checked out; after a short conversation they apologised.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Stacy B, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Diego - Hotel Circle, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Mr. Arredondo,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your response. We appreciate your feedback and apologize that we didn’t provide the high quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we have addressed the issues you mentioned with dining and front desk staff. We try to make each guest experience a great one at our hotel and your satisfaction is important to us. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you’ll give us another opportunity soon to make your stay the best it can be. Thank you again.
Sincerely, Stacy Beagin

611 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

This really isnt your Hilton standard type hotel. The inside decor is ok, nothing spectacular and I am not picky! My husband says the same. My fathers a/c wasnt working properly so they switched him rooms but the 2nd room the a/c wasnt working either. He is a senior citizen and said he didnt have the energy to pack up his entire room yet again. I felt bad for him. The hotel buffet is 14 per person and its not very good. The eggs are not even real eggs, they taste like egg beaters. Yuck :( Overall, it was ok, but would not stay here again.

Room Tip: We faced the pool which had a nice view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
WarmRegards, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Diego - Hotel Circle, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear lovetripsok,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us. We are sorry to hear your experience was less than impressive. We apologize for the inconveniences your father experienced in regard to the air-conditioning. Please be assured that our maintenance staff was informed of your comments and this issue was resolved. It would have been our pleasure to have had opportunity to rectify this during your stay, without having to re-locate your father again. We are at your service 24/7, and enjoy assisting you in any way we can to ensure that you are comfortable. Once again, we do apologize for the inconveniences endured during your stay. We hope you will reconsider giving us the pleasure of having you as our guests again.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

Traveling by myself with a 10month old. Did not get help with luggage at check in. I had to ask one of the maintance pesonal for help. Because the hotel was so busy I was unable to check in at 930 as I requested when I booked the reservation. Waited in the lobby for 2 hrs with my daughter! Housekeeping did not get in until 10am. I was told there was not a single clean room in the hotel, which is outrageous! When I got to the room the gave me the wrong one. I didn't have enough energy to complain about it. I needed to put my daughter down for a nap. Since the hotel is next the fwy it was loud and noise, plus the hotel was full. The cheap curtains on the wall did not block the sun so it was hard to sleep. The closet light was out. Room service was average. The entire staff looked miserable. There were no cheery faces around. Parking is very tight and hard to find, good luck parking a mid size vehicle. Overall rating 2/10.

• Stayed October 2012
WarmRegards, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Diego - Hotel Circle, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear fernanddia,

Thank you for your valued feedback on your experience with us. We apologize that we fell short of delivering the superior customer service level that our guests should expect. Also, we are sorry that we were unable to fulfill your request for early check in. When operating at full capacity, we regret that it is not always possible to have a room available at 9:30 a.m. We appreciate you bringing these details of your stay to our attention and have shared your comments with our staff. Truly, the members of our staff are happy and eager to be of assistance to our guests. It is our hope that we will have the opportunity in the near future to exceed the expectations you may have and deliver an enjoyable, quality stay with us.

Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

In June my family went to San Diego to enjoy the zoo and Sea World, but our stay at the Double Tree was a major dissapointment. While away one day, someone gained access to our room and stole our video camera, my wifes handbag, some personal items and clothes. When we reported the situation to the front desk they were very apolagetic and management was notified and a investigation was put in place. At the end of all the investigation all they could say was sorry that it happened to us and that was it. I have stayed with other Double Trees before and have been very happy with there rooms and service but this one was terrible. Not only did we get ripped off, our room was right by the ice machine and all night people filling there ice containers in a metal bucket sounded like a drum being beat outside our room all night. The furniture in the room was really worn out as well, the couch that folded out for our kids looked like it had been there since the 80's., the vinal on the arm rest was all cracked up and falling apart. I am a person usually that is usually pretty easy going about stuff like this, but this kind of experience which happen at a Double Tree is pretty slack. We received only free parking as a comp for all the troubles. I am sorry but this is messed up, our experience at this Double Tree has me questioning other Double Trees out there.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear James B,

We are sincerely sorry for the unfortunate incident that occurred during your stay and that we were unable to immediately resolve this situation and recover your items. I can assure you that the safety and security of our guests (and their personal belongings) are of the utmost importance to us at our hotel and at all Hilton brand hotels world-wide. Also, please now that several years ago Hilton Corporation mandated that every guest be provided with access to either a personal in-room safe (or a secure safety box area) at no charge. Our property provides a secure safety box area at our front desk. We also have safety and security measures in place throughout our property. If any of your items are recovered at our property, we will contact you immediately. Again, we are extremely sorry for the loss of your items. Please contact me directly at our hotel if there is any further assistance I can provide.

los angeles, ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

A good value hotel. Check in staff was nice and breakfast buffet good. My room was fine but the air conditioning felt like it was just blowing air - notified the front desk and it was fixed while I was out. Elevators were not working when we arrived back at the hotel in the evening but the staff was helpful in carrying things up to the room - thank goodness only on the third floor!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
WarmRegards, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Diego - Hotel Circle, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear nvtravel31,

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of the good value that you enjoyed while staying at our San Diego hotel. Your compliments on our customer service, breakfast buffet and accommodations are greatly appreciated. It was our pleasure to resolve the issue with your air conditioner while you were out. Thank you for the opportunity to ensure your comfort in your room. We apologize for the temporary inconvenience in regard to our elevators. We appreciate your patience and understanding while our third party service vendor made a few necessary inspections and repairs. Thank you for completing the review on our property.

San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

The room was nice and very clean. Housekeepers are very friendly and willing to help. Unfortunately, the front desk and the panini restaurant are not like that. The people at the front desk did not even say hi. It took me to ask for help while the employees were having a conversation. The employee helping me seemed like she did not want to be there.

Another experience: My husband and I were at the jacuzzi, and he wanted to order a drink. Well...this was going to cost the drink, plus 18% of gratuity and $4.00 for the delivery to the pool, which is a few feet away. My husband decided to go to the bar and asked for a drink that they did not have, which it's ok. However my husband asked the bartender if he could get a new bottler and he just said "I don't know where they are." Well... The bartender didn't know that he had told "our friend" 5 minutes before that that he could get the same bottle for him, and our friend said not. It makes me think why our friend got a different service from my husband?????
I do have to say that it was the first drink for my husband, so he wasn't drunk, and my husband was also polite, so I really don't understand the difference.

Anyway if I have could pick a hotel in San Diego, it will definitely be a different hotel. It got three stars just because of the housekeepers and the facility.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Graciela M,

Thank you for taking the time to bring the details of your experience with us to our attention. We apologize for the unacceptable level of service your received at our front desk, as well as the miscommunication that occurred with our bartender. Please know that we have taken immediate action into further investigating these details. Your feedback assists us in making the necessary changes and improvements to ensure that we are consistently delivering the best experience to each of our guests. Thank you for your compliments on our housekeeping staff and property. We hope that you will reconsider giving us a future opportunity to accommodate you and your husband. It would be our pleasure to provide you with the comfortable and enjoyable stay that you deserve.

Best,
Brookfield, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I work at a Hilton and know Hilton standards and they were not met on any level!! I was simply embarrassed for who was representing the hotel. From the greeting to almost being stranded in San Diego this hotel needs to do some retraining! I even wrote the GM of the hotel, who was still anything but helpful! If they aren't willing to help one of their own, I can't even fathom how they treat guests. My first time in San Diego was almost a train wreck, but thankfully my manager from my hotel back home has taken care of the rest of my trip!

Long story short, I was told my reservation was cancelled. I flew all the way from Wisconsin to California, there was no way my reservation was cancelled. Without any options, I got shrugged shoulders and a blank stare from the representative. Luckily, they had availability for my first night there. Went up to the room frustrated, having to figure out the rest of my trip on my own, I got checked into an occupied room! Someone else's luggage was sitting right in front of me. A HUGE safety issue! I understand things happen. I immediately called the front desk and without any apology, had to stroll my luggage back down to get new room keys. This was my welcome to California.

Thank goodness for working in the industry because corporate is not going to be pleased.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear jlrichhc,

We are disappointed to hear that your recent stay was less than impressive. Our records reflect that you cancelled your reservation; however, we do apologize for the mishap and any inconvenience it caused. Also, please know that the room you were checked into was a room change and was not occupied. The guests had already relocated to their new room, although their luggage had not been moved yet. Again, we are sorry for the inconveniences that occurred. I would appreciate your time to further discuss the details of your experience. Please contact me directly at our property at your earliest convenience. Thank you for completing the review.

Mark Lewis, General Manager

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Diego - Hotel Circle? Share your experiences!