“Management customer relations” 2 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Diego - Hotel Circle

Save Saved
You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Diego - Hotel Circle to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Diego - Hotel Circle
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1515 Hotel Circle South, San Diego, CA 92108 (Mission Valley / Hotel Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
2X Points Package!
Ranked #122 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Diamond Bar, California, United States
“Management customer relations”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I have a team of 12 staying here for 5 days. On check in the Manager on duty Stephanie Lucook told one of my parents that if her son was making excessive noise that security would be called and given a warning on the second offense the police would be called. Doesn't sound like a family friendly envirnoment to me. Later she shut the pool down at 10:25 when the posted time was 11:00, when asked why she said excessive noise I asked why a warning was not given she said she didn't have to. There are at least 7 teams staying here 75% of the hotel and they are happy to take your money but don't want to treat them with respect. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
eCommerceCoordinator, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Diego - Hotel Circle, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear Joshua H,

We apologize for any miscommunication that occurred during your stay with us. Please be assured that we are most certainly a family friendly environment. Our standard practice is to review our property rules with our groups and teams staying with us, as we do with all of our guests. There is always a certain level of excitement around any group of kids and we do our best to keep the noise level down during the late evening hours. Again, we are sorry for any miscommunication. Thank you for taking the time to give us your valued opinions and suggestions.

Mark Lewis, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
West Haven, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

My family and I stayed here for 3 nights to visit the zoo. The floor we stayed on smelled like a sewer. Luckily the smell did not go into our room. The reason I gave it an avaerage rating is that the price of our rooms $220/night is not a good value. The pictures of the hotel room and pool area make the hotel seem nicer than it is. The only highlight of our stay here was the maid service did a phenomanal job cleaning our room and the food (not appetizers) at the restaurant was good. Based on all the reviews on this site I was expecting much more and this hotel did not deliver.

Room Tip: Don't pay anymore than 149/night for this hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
eCommerceCoordinator, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Diego - Hotel Circle, responded to this review, July 29, 2012
Dear TravelingTrio203,

Please accept our apologies for failing to exceed your expectations and deliver an overall enjoyable stay. Thank you for bringing the odor you encountered in the hallway on your floor to our attention. Also, please be assured that the pictures on our web site, are, indeed, of our hotel and our accommodations. Thank you for mentioning the phenomenal job our housekeeping staff did keeping your room spotless. We are glad that you also enjoyed the tasty cuisine in our restaurant, Panini Grill & Bar. We do hope that you and your family will decide to stay with us again. It would be our pleasure to have the opportunity to deliver an impressive, quality experience.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

While in town for Comic Con I stayed in two different hotels. The doubletree was way better. Me and my friends enjoyed everything about this place. Next year for comic con I will be staying here for the entire trip.

• Stayed July 2012
Dear W02012,

It's very exciting to hear that you enjoyed our hotel the best! We love hearing when our guests enjoy everything about our San Diego hotel. Thank you for sharing how much you enjoyed your experience with us. We are certainly glad to hear that you will be staying with us next time for your entire trip!

Nashua, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

We went to our room immediately after check-in only to find out that room is occupied. Completely unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. Front desk was not apologetic but did offer 1 night free parking which we ended up being charged for anyway. My husband asked for an upgrade for the inconvenience & since he is a diamond member. He was denied. Our new room was unoccupied but the overhead light did not work. I reported this to the front desk. The young lady working the desk then gave me an education on how to operate the light switch. Are you kidding me? I assured her I knew how the switch worked. She told us she would send someone up to look at it. Of course, when we got back we still had no light. I reported it again the next day. I was told it had been fixed. I assured her that we still had no light. The last night we wanted to order room service but neither of the phones in the room worked. I didn't bother reporting it.

Our room over looked the pool. We could hear noise from the pool after 11 pm even though the pool was supposed to be closed. We also heard a lot of noise from the nearby highway especially in the morning.

The hotel itself was showing wear & tear. The restaurant was mediocre at best.

Hotel location was ok. We drove to the convention center everyday. A little inconvenient to downtown but not too bad. Easy to get to attractions like the zoo & Old Town. I would prefer to be closer to waterfront area. Next time I would stay at Hilton in Gaslamp or next to the convention center.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
eCommerceCoordinator, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Diego - Hotel Circle, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Dear Mrsomalley,

Thank you for choosing to stay at our San Diego hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies for our error and know that this was the exception. You are correct; it is unacceptable and we are very sorry. In regard to the light in your room, please know that we do make the effort to provide detailed assistance as to which switch operates that particular light, as well as ensuring that the switch on the actual fixture is turned on. We are sorry about this miscommunication and assure you that there wasn't any ill-intention in assisting you. Again, we apologize that we failed to impress you during your recent stay, and thank you for completing the review on our property.

Sandiego
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

My visit at the Doubletree hotel (hotel circle) we arrived july 16 at 1:15 pm and was told no rooms were ready. The front desk staff did not make you feel welcome at all, not even a hello. Because I had stayed at this hotel before in 2011, my room was 201 next to the elevator shaft. You can hear the elevator going up and down. I told the front desk of my experience last year and did not want a room near the elevator. This woman said let me write this down. When we returned at 3:35 pm to check in we were given room 201. I said to the woman, this is the same room we got last year and it was awful. I was then given a new room 425. This room was next to a roof where the air condition units were and the noise from San Diego
freeway. This hotel staff, the morning crew should be reviewed and trained on hospitality. 3 days $800.00. Should not feel like you don't want black folks in your hotel. I am 62. I will never stay it this hotel again.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear deegra,

We are very sorry that we were not able to fulfill your request for an early check in. Our standard check in time is 4:00 p.m. When our rooms are cleaned and available, it is our pleasure to have our guests check in early; however, during the extremely busy summer months, it is harder to allow an early check in when we are operating at 100% occupancy. Also, please know that the room type that you booked, a kids suite, is the reason as to why you were located in the same general area as your previous visit. We appreciate you taking the time to bring these details of your visit to our attention. We regret that your experience with us did not exceed your expectations, and would certainly appreciate another opportunity to deliver an enjoyable experience to you and your family.

Best regards,
Newark, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

I visited San Diego for a week with my family. We chose this hotel, because of the Hilton Brand, the price was very good compared to others, and online the location seemed to be okay. The hotel itself if very nice. The lobby and restaurant were clean, and what you'd expect from a Hilton. The pool and hot tub were very clean and the temperature was great. It is outdoor only though, so that could be a problem if the weathers no good. Luckily we had great weather. Our hotel room was great. Just the right size (for the majority of the trip it was just 2 of us. For 2 nights it was 3, so someone slept on the pull out couch.) If your party was bigger & you were staying for longer I would suggest another double queen room. We had a mini fridge, microwave, and a cute balcony. The balcony didn't have the best view, but it was nice to sit out there to get some fresh air, or leave the door open for a bit. The first night started off a bit rough, when we found old blood stains on the bed (linens that were washed & reused, but should've been thrown out.) A housekeeper prompty came up with fresh linens. The front desk could have been more helpful. We were new to the area and were trying to figure out the shuttle/bus service. They were not of any help and said "just take a taxi". The restaurant staff however was wonderful. The food was delicious and they were very kind. If I were to stay again, I would choose a hotel downtown isntead. This hotel is a bit far from the downtown shopping, restaurants, and waterfront, which is what we wanted. Still a nice quality hotel for what we paid.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dear beatleandbabe,

Thank you for your confidence in choosing a Hilton brand hotel. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and great accommodations. Please accept our apologies for the unacceptable condition of the sheets and the interaction you had at our front desk. Thank you for bringing this to our management's attention, as we follow up on every detail to ensure that we are exceeding our guests' needs. We're glad that our pool and hot tub temperatures were great and that you enjoyed delicious food and great service at our restaurant. Our hope is that you and your family will decide to return to stay at our hotel. Please keep in mind that we are just minutes away from the majority of San Diego attractions.

Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We traveled with 2 kids, and 4 adults during the fourth of July week to visit Sea World. Everything from check in was down hill. As a Hilton Diamond Member I was not upgraded to a suite. I'm fact got the worst rooms on a very noisy floor. The hallways were always dirty with trays of food and bags of garbage on the floor. We would come back after our sight seeing and they were still there. The bathrooms are just plain disgusting! My Inlaw's tub would not drain. Now the last two evenings were a nightmare as we could hear a couple arguing and soon a woman was screaming for help. We called the reception and an on site security officer came right away and knocked on their door. A frazzled woman did in fact answer and said she was ok, so they left. However the fighting continued and again we called reception and asked them to call police because the woman was screaming that she couldn't breath and cried for help! At this point my kids were so scarred. The Hotel manager said they deal with this all the time and very little can be done if the victim doesn't press charges. I would never come back to this hotel, "motel"! the location is right next to a highway and not very pretty. So my rating is a ZERO!

Room Tip: "DON'T STAY HERE! Rooms are dirty!"
Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Susan S,

We are very sorry to hear that your experience with us failed to impress you and your family. Although, it would certainly be our pleasure to be able to always upgrade all of our Hilton Diamond Members, during our very busy summer months we are most often operating at full capacity. We thank you for your understanding. In regard to the couple arguing on the same floor, we apologize for the noise disturbance and assure you that this is definitely not a regular occurrence. This incident was reported to the police immediately; however, the police were not able to do anything since the woman refused to file a complaint. Again, we are disappointed to hear that your expectations were not exceeded. We appreciate you bringing these details to our attention and hope that you will reconsider giving us another opportunity to deliver the comfortable and enjoyable experience that you should expect and deserve!

Mark Lewis, General Manager

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Diego - Hotel Circle? Share your experiences!