“More a bar than a restaurant” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese, Barbecue
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“More a bar than a restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

This seems to be a bar which just happens to sell fast food - the decor did nothing to add to it's appeal for us. The food & service were both fine but we felt like we were eating in a railway station concourse & the bar seemed to be the main attraction. We ate here at the start of our 3 week stay in San Diego & did not bother to go again, although it was the closest restaurant to our hotel.

Visited May 2012

Del Mar, California
“Missed on a couple of levels”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

This restaurant was recommended by a local several weeks ago, so I checked the reviews on TA and I was a little leery about the mixed comments about this place. We decided to try it anyway and it turned out to be a disappointment, the not so good TA reviews were very accurate. We ordered several items and the consensus was it is a very below average BBQ restaurant, nothing special. The ribs were over cooked and dry and the pulled pork sandwich was tasteless. The sides in general were another disappointment, especially the mac and cheese, it was over cooked and very dry. The restaurant is a little pricey, $80 for 4 people at lunch for so-so food. We don't plan on coming back.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
San Diego, California
“I absolutely love this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

Ever since Brazen BBQ opened in Hillcrest my partner and I have loved it! Their service is AWESOME! It is the only place that has real southern style sweet tea that is brewed FRESH! Being from the South it is really nice to have some southern style food around in a place that is full of nasty "organic" crap! I usually get the pulled pork sandwhich with coleslaw on top and smother it with their specialty BBQ sauces! For side dishes I get the crusted mac and cheese and baked beans! It is so delicious! If you are in the area I highly recommend this place to try if you are in the mood for a good meal.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Diego, California
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

I'm a lover of BBQ and I was impressed. The brisket was delicious. So many layers of flavor and the pulled pork sandwiches were delightful as well. We will be back for sure.

Visited April 2012
Ipswich
“Great atmosphere and service, let down by the food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

I've never been served a meat dish without a knife before, but when I started to eat and the meat just fell apart I started to think this could awesome. Sadly the top layer of meat was the only piece I received that was cooked that well. The rest was fatty and difficult to get into. The side of fries was good and the service was very friendly and helpful. The main component of the meal however really let it all down.

• Visited April 2012