“Amazing” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

I'm a lover of BBQ and I was impressed. The brisket was delicious. So many layers of flavor and the pulled pork sandwiches were delightful as well. We will be back for sure.

Visited April 2012

Ipswich
“Great atmosphere and service, let down by the food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

I've never been served a meat dish without a knife before, but when I started to eat and the meat just fell apart I started to think this could awesome. Sadly the top layer of meat was the only piece I received that was cooked that well. The rest was fatty and difficult to get into. The side of fries was good and the service was very friendly and helpful. The main component of the meal however really let it all down.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Tough and overpriced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

The BBQ pork ribs where a disappointment. They seemed to be like jerky on the outside which leaves me to believe that the moisture levels were not sufficient during the smoking process. The onion rings were 8 dollars (No there were no gold flakes in the batter) and most the other appetizers were similarly priced. The atmosphere and service were good, but I go out to eat for the food. There are better options for BBQ in San Diego.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
San Diego, California
“Horrible food, I can't believe I'm reading anything good about this place!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

I had read several reviews on this restaurant and thought since some friends suggested going there I would finally get to see for myself. It started out good, because there is actually a parking lot which is difficult to find in that particular area. Inside the restaurant wasn't what I expected but that's okay. The counter people were friendly enough and the food was delivered quickly. Those are the only positives I can say because it went downhill after the food was delivered. I ordered the Smokehouse salad and a small sized portion of mac and cheese. The mac and cheese looked like it had been frozen and reheated because it was very watery at the bottom. There was NO flavor at all to the mac and cheese-I mean none! it tasted like eating plain pasta. I had to add a lot of salt and salad dressing even to eat it, my friend put the whole dish of collard greens in hers just to give it some flavor and it was barely edible then. Then the salad, also extremely bland. How do you make a bad salad? The corn kernels in it tasted like they were frozen and thawed out then added to my salad. The black beans were okay, but somehow all together it tasted so bland I had to get extra dressing just to give it any taste at all. Now I know what you're saying, they are probably best known for their BBQ not their salads, but my friends ordered all the meat that they offered on the menu and they said it was just okay, not good, definitely not great, just okay. The pulled pork, the ribs, the brisket, just passable. My other friend ordered the fried mac and cheese ball, and it was even worse than the regular mac and cheese. I'm not sure why anyone would call this amazing or exceptional or terrific by any stretch of the imagination, but to me and my group of 6, it tasted just barely above TV dinner food. The prices were really high for the amount of food, but for the quality of the food, they should have paid me to be there. For a salad and side of mac and cheese $14. BAD! Never again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
San Diego, California
“Terrific Food & Exceptional Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

I've eaten at Brazen BBQ five times now and everything is delicious! Great pulled pork sandwich; excellent catfish po-boy sandwich; most tender beef brisket I've ever had; gumbo to die for; and service that's simply exceptional.

Their sides are great too: heavenly Smoked Kernal Corn Medley; Awesome Brazen Fries; delightful Ancho Spiced Baked Beans; great cole slaw and delicious cornbread.

Located in the Hillcrest part of San Diego, it's easy to find (corner of 5th Ave & Washington St) and very affordable.

• Visited March 2012