“Had a great stay” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Solihull, England
“Had a great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2005

I stayed here in July for three days with my family of five, including three teenagers. We really appreciated having an apartment with three rooms instead of the usual two. It was the best accomodation we had on our three weeks holiday to the West coast. The staff were super friendly, we all enjoyed the midweek sundowners, breakfast and tuck shop - a great bonus for hungry kids. The pool and patio area were exceptionally nice - our three made great friends there- and they enjoyed playing sports outside. The large lounge was a delight to chill in especially as there was tea and coffee there on tap(it seemed designed in the manor of an English country house). It was great having the laundry facilities completely free of charge - we didnt even have to buy detergent. The only downside was the distance from San Diego - about 30 minutes along the freeway! As for facilities nearby we didnt go to the shopping centre but the numerous takeaways were great for a quick bite to eat. The hotel seemed to be used by business types, families and a very well behaved youth sports team the week we stayed and as far as I could see they seemed to be coping with everyone. All in all a great place to stay but be prepared to drive everywhere apart from the local shops!

• Stayed July 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2005

I have relied on trip advisor for almost 2 years for the best accomodations and this is the first hotel I have been GREATLY disappointed with. My husband and I travel all over the country every couple of months and we do not see why this hotel was rated so high in San Diego. We seriously think the reviews must have been written by the hotel sstaff members and family. When we first arrived I was about to put my daugher on the bed and there was a big yellow stain on the sheets. I had to call housekeeping right when we arrived. The kitchen was tiny and very misleasding from the pictures on the website. The location of the hotel was NOT 15 minutes from Seaworld and tha airport. You had to get on 3 different freeways just to get to this hotel. The drive was about 30 minutes with all the traffic because it's located in an industrial area.
The next two days were even worse. The housecleaners never cleaned our room the first night we were there and for the 2nd day we came back to our room around 4:30PM and our room was still not cleaned. It was quite upsetting with the service we were recieving. To top iit all off the air conditioner leaked all over the rug in 2nd bedrrom suite. The maintanance employee said it has been a problem with the other suites. I would NEVER stay here again. I would recommend others to spend your money elswhere because this hotel has been overrated.

• Stayed July 2005
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2005

Perhaps the hotel has improved since my stay, but just in case...

First, you should know that if you book a stay online, you are CHARGED for the first night - no refund. I had planned to stay for 5 days. I had to be up early for a business conference. I called the hotel about two weeks before my arrival to make sure that I had a quiet room. I was assured that it would not be a problem. It was. The front of the hotel was on the same side as a main traffic street (Mesa Blvd). The windows were nowhere near soundproof so open or closed, all the traffic noise came in.

When I asked to change rooms, there was a sense that they didn't try too hard to find a different one, so I was stuck for the first night. I thought that it might be ok, it wasn't.

If you don't mind traffic noise, an unusually loud refrigerator and the charge whether you like the room or not [stay or leave]...... I called the Marriott Residence Inn's toll free number. They found me an excellent room, at a lower rate, so I repacked the car and left the next day. I highly recommend the Marriott Residence Inn in Sorrento.

The room was nice. I wouldn't recommend this hotel for light sleepers, business travelers or people who like sincerity in their hotel managers.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2005

Even though the hotel is noted to be pet friendly, we realized that our indoor cat had contracted fleas while we were there for the one night. We bathe & brush her and take her to the vet regularly and never once found anything in the 2 year we've had her. We took her everywhere, even overseas, and she didn't have this problem. We stayed at the Extended Stay in CA for a month with no incidents of fleas. Just want to warn other pet owners of our experience. Even though the hotel was nice, the breakfast was good, and the staff was friendly, I won't go through the flea experience again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2005

From the start, the staff was great! Rooms were clean and well maintained. We had 3 adults and 3 kids in a 2 bedroom suite with 2 full beds in one, one queen in the other and a sofa bed in the front room. Extra pillows were conveniently located in the closet. Nice sized televisions in each room, no 12 inchers like at other hotels. Bathrooms were large enough as to not bump in the walls. Breakfast was great, able to take back to our rooms. Many restaurants and stores within 3 miles from the hotel, ie. Target, Von's, Mervyns, should you forget anything. Anything else, the hotel provides a convenient map of services within 3 miles. We went to Legoland for two days, was approximately 30 minutes from the hotel. The beach was within about 20 minutes. For you golfers, Torrey Pines was only 20 minutes. Made it downtown to look at the "Midway" aircraft carrier in San Diego Bay in about 30 minutes. Glad we came across "Trip Advisor" reviews of the hotel, was the main factor in choosing over other hotels. In final, the hotel was surrounded by residential on one side and commercial office on the other. This provided a nice and quiet stay!

Oswego, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2005

We loved this hotel!!! Everything a family would want was available. Nice pool, 2 grills for your use, laundry facilities, the "happy hour", extensive breakfast, too much to list. We had been upgraded to a 2 bedroom/2bath suite, even without this upgrade I would have had no complaints - very clean and staff was very courteous. Highly Recommended!

Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2005

This place is a real gem. The rooms are very well equipped and spacious and the staff are very friendly. Coffee, dishwater tablets and toiletries were replenished daily. Everytime we walked into reception we were greeted. The clean heated pool is set in beautiful gardens, towels are supplied and there are tables and chairs to dine alfresco. The hotel provides two large gas barbeques and three nights a week complimentary evening snacks, wine, beer and soft drinks between 5.30pm and 7.30pm. The hotel is adjacent to fast food outlets and is close to the freeway into downtown, Seaworld and beautiful La Jolla. Breakfast is simple but plentiful and the whole place has a feeling of home from home to it. We loved it and would highly recommend this place to couples or families who want a value for money hotel without compromising standards.

• Stayed May 2005

Been to Staybridge Suites San Diego - Sorrento Mesa? Share your experiences!