“Noisy, but ok in a pinch” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Americas Best Value Inn - San Diego Downtown

You added Americas Best Value Inn - San Diego Downtown to your Saves list
Americas Best Value Inn - San Diego Downtown
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1840 4th Avenue, San Diego, CA 92101 (Formerly West Park Inn)   |
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
Holiday Savings Special
Ranked #189 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Santa Monica, California
“Noisy, but ok in a pinch”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I arrived in town early for a work function at the Hotel Del Cornoado (a magnificent place btw), so I had to find one nights' accommodation for my girlfriend and me. We have been saving every nickel and dime for an upcoming trip, so we did not have a lot of money ti spend. This narrowed down our options quite a bit. We were thrilled to find America's Best Value Inn. I have stayed at other locations in this chain and was satisfied with my stay. So we gave it a go.

We arrived around 11pm. We were exhausted and eager to get some sleep. We did not have any trouble finding the place.

Unfortunately, the hotel does not offer a parking lot, so we went around the block several times in an attempt to find street parking. We saw there was metered parking all along the street, all of which of course was already occupied. There was a lot across the street, but we weren't sure if it was a public lot. We didn't notice any obvious signs with regards to this or which mentioned the pricing. We decided to ask the front desk for parking recommendations. The man working the front desk was polite and informed us that it was not the hotel's lot, but that we could use it - I believe it was by the hour or for a 24 hour period. Those were the only options. The area didn't look as bad as it turned out to be. I don't scare easily and I've seen it all, but my concern was whether our vehicle would be safe, as there were plenty of homeless people, drunk people and a few obvious drug addicts out partying in the street that night. We decided to give it a go. As it turned out, we did not have any issues with the parking lot.

The hotel was undergoing renovations during our stay, so the lobby was completely torn up, with some cheap paper or other kind of floor covering, duck taped to the floor to hide it's bareness. We stepped over a few tools and other construction objects without any warnings to watch out or be careful from the man at the front desk. We saw the objects and had no issues, but it seems to me there might be others, overburdened with luggage, tired, unfamiliar with the location and not paying attention whom might have stumbled over these things. It seems to me it would have been the right thing to offer up a simple warning.

The man gave us our room keys, but did not offer any directions except to point to his right and say the room was "that way". it's not a big place, so we found it pretty easily, but again the customer wants to feel taken care of and looked after. A simple thing like directions - even if not needed are small offerings that go a long way when it comes to customer service.

The building was pretty nice looking. Quaint and welcoming (everywhere but the lobby, that is). It was a courtyard style with a fitness room and plenty of chairs around for folks to sit.

The rooms was small, but big enough if you are just going to stay a night or two. Our featured a small kitchenette (microwave, sink, coffee. Downside: they were right next to the hair dryer and sink) and good sized closet. The toilet area had a very tall ceiling, making it look much roomier than it was. The bed wasn't the most comfortable - it was difficult to sleep in it at first. We could feel lumpy wires beneath us. But it was cleaner than average for a room in this price range. Towels, bedding, everything seemed to be clean and functional.

There was free wifi, which was difficult to logon to, at first. As the logon info by the nightstand left out some info that was necessary - which was found on another info card which was over by the TV. I had very bad internet service in this area, so without the hotel's wifi, I would not have had any connectivity and being that this was a work trip, that would have been very bad for me.

The hotel had blinds covering the window that did not close completely, leaving small slits all the way down them, which I imagine would make it possible to see into our room from outside (especially with all the lights out and the light from the TV on). Luckily, we were in a room that was in a corner area and not too many folks passed by.

Probably the worst part of our stay was all the noise from outside. You could hear people literally screaming back and forth all night, loud party animals outside in the hotel's courtyard as well as out in the street, other guests' slamming doors as they came and went, a group was outside hanging out and chatting loudly for several hours early into the morning...It was pretty miserable and I wasn't sure exactly how safe or unsafe we really were.

There was plenty of hot water and the shower was low to the ground with hand rails for elderly and those with special needs. Which was good.

There's not a lot to praise here. The lumpy bed and late night noise made sleeping here pretty impossible. I would only recommend if you can't find anything else or if you need to stay specific to that area of the city. If it weren't for the noise and uncomfortable bed, this hotel would have a much higher rating from me. It had a lot of potential to be a great budget place.

Check out was fast with no surprise fees or trouble. And that was that.

Room Tip: Being that it is the people and area that are so noisy, I would say that there are probably no "...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Had no complaints. Breakfast was ok for a budget hotel. Room was clean. Service was good. Right next to Balboa Park and Downtown, literally. Although there no actual hotel parking, there is meter parking and street parking at all hours of the night. Never felt unsafe.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Prescott
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

Started out with very unwelcoming and unhelpful front desk staff- took us asking 4 times before getting clarification of how to get out of the front office and to the room. The elevator and room had a funky smell. The room was tiny and felt unclean immediately upon walking in. The first thing we did was look to see if there was another hotel we could switch to. There is no business center (one pay per minute computer), front desk staff who cannot help with directions around the city/neighborhood/transportation, and there is no bathroom sink, so you have to use the kitchen sink (unsanitary). They did have nice flat screen TVs and a decent basic continental breakfast. Great value, but worth paying more elsewhere in my opinion.

• Stayed July 2014
Mica J, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Thank you for the feedback concerning your stay. I would like to apologize for your check in experience. I would like to hear more about who you spoke with so that I may address the issue with the front desk. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel with your concerns.

It is true that our business center has a fee to use the internet and printing options. However, guests can use the computers at no charge to print boarding passes. Also, the hotel offers free wi-fi in the rooms and throughout the property.

All rooms have a refrigerator, microwave and sink for guest use. The sink is thoroughly cleaned after every check out and throughout the guest stay. I also truly believe that this property offers a great valued stay for any traveler.
Tempe, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We reserved our room here, since we were a little late in booking for the July 4th weekend. Rooms were small, it was a bit noisy, and being that we had a baby, that wasn't great, although it didn't wake him up. The staff were very friendly. When I called to ask them to ask the individuals to keep the noise down, they did so right away and it stopped. It wasn't in a bad area, and since we were just sleeping there, it was decent. Can't say that I wouldn't stay there again, because it was definitely clean and affordable.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Mica J, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Thank you for the positive comments concerning your stay. We strive to provide all guests with a friendly and comfortable atmosphere. We feel that this property is well suited for the budget conscience traveler. I invite you to contact the hotel directly for your next stay since we do offer return guest discounts. Thanks again!
Wickenburg, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

I’d found and chosen this hotel online. By the time we’d decided we were going to San Diego on our road trip – because my husband wanted to run the marathon – it was very near the time of travel, so I expected options to be limited. I chose America’s Best Value Inn for its rates and its location. For what we wanted it came out unbeatable for this. Mind you, it is not right on the shore, but it is more or less equidistant between the Gaslight District and the Seaport Village, Little Italy and the USS Midway beyond, and Balboa Park, a short walk to these three major destinations in the city.
The hotel itself has no parking, well, limited street parking right outside for unloading, or parking at night, but there is a fee parking lot right across the street.
The hotel has a pleasant interior courtyard with trees, flower beds and a fountain. Check in was swift and very friendly, and we took the elevator to our room on the top floor, facing north. The room was pleasantly furnished and featured all the usual amenities such as fridge, coffee maker, hair dryer, etc, even an ironing board and iron. The TV was a large, modern flat screen, and wifi was excellent. Even though it’s on one of the avenues, the room was very quiet at night.
The north facing room do look out right on the flight path to the nearby airport, and you feel you can scratch their bellies, so close are they, but after a certain time in the evening, they quit coming in, and the insulation of the windows is so good they are not loud flying past.
The breakfast room is a nice, designated room with an extremely well stocked food bar. I’ve rarely seen a motel-type inn with free breakfast with more on offer than here.
We were happy with our three-night stay here and would defectively stay here again.

Room Tip: north facing rooms look right out on the landing aircraft, but they are NOT loud, and they quit late...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Beverwijk, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

I have no problems with a small room but I do when it means that the airco is blowing against one Side of the bed. The room was clean and cheap so that's ok but I had a bad night due to the airco so that's why I only give it 2 stars.

Also, the parking is not included so keep in mind that if you leav your car it will cost 12 dollar for 24 hours.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

We read some reviews and thought this was a good value for a one nighter just to catch a flight early the next morning. It was close to the hotel, so that was nice. that is where the nice ended... There is no hotel parking, it's fend for yourself street side parking, the service was poor, very snippy lady when we checked in. They wanted the Drivers license for both of us upon check in...NEVER had to do that before... her comment, "well there is a first for everything".
The room was horrid, had one of those blinking horror movie lights in the entry way. The bed was hard and uncomfortable. the TV was off in the corner at a ridiculous angle. the sink to wash hands after using the restroom was around the corner from the restroom in a little joke of a kitchenette area... the wall were a sterile glossy paint, reminded me of a bad European hostile!

I would never stay here again or recommend it. there are budget hotels and there are crap hotels, this is a crap hotel!!! on a budget or not!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Been to Americas Best Value Inn - San Diego Downtown? Share your experiences!