“Nice Trip, Great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Americas Best Value Inn - San Diego Downtown

Save Saved
You added Americas Best Value Inn - San Diego Downtown to your Saves list
Americas Best Value Inn - San Diego Downtown
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1840 4th Avenue, San Diego, CA 92101 (Formerly West Park Inn)   |
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
Get 15% Off Your Stay
Ranked #193 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
“Nice Trip, Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Had no complaints. Breakfast was ok for a budget hotel. Room was clean. Service was good. Right next to Balboa Park and Downtown, literally. Although there no actual hotel parking, there is meter parking and street parking at all hours of the night. Never felt unsafe.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Prescott
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

Started out with very unwelcoming and unhelpful front desk staff- took us asking 4 times before getting clarification of how to get out of the front office and to the room. The elevator and room had a funky smell. The room was tiny and felt unclean immediately upon walking in. The first thing we did was look to see if there was another hotel we could switch to. There is no business center (one pay per minute computer), front desk staff who cannot help with directions around the city/neighborhood/transportation, and there is no bathroom sink, so you have to use the kitchen sink (unsanitary). They did have nice flat screen TVs and a decent basic continental breakfast. Great value, but worth paying more elsewhere in my opinion.

• Stayed July 2014
Mica J, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Thank you for the feedback concerning your stay. I would like to apologize for your check in experience. I would like to hear more about who you spoke with so that I may address the issue with the front desk. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel with your concerns.

It is true that our business center has a fee to use the internet and printing options. However, guests can use the computers at no charge to print boarding passes. Also, the hotel offers free wi-fi in the rooms and throughout the property.

All rooms have a refrigerator, microwave and sink for guest use. The sink is thoroughly cleaned after every check out and throughout the guest stay. I also truly believe that this property offers a great valued stay for any traveler.
Tempe, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We reserved our room here, since we were a little late in booking for the July 4th weekend. Rooms were small, it was a bit noisy, and being that we had a baby, that wasn't great, although it didn't wake him up. The staff were very friendly. When I called to ask them to ask the individuals to keep the noise down, they did so right away and it stopped. It wasn't in a bad area, and since we were just sleeping there, it was decent. Can't say that I wouldn't stay there again, because it was definitely clean and affordable.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Mica J, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Thank you for the positive comments concerning your stay. We strive to provide all guests with a friendly and comfortable atmosphere. We feel that this property is well suited for the budget conscience traveler. I invite you to contact the hotel directly for your next stay since we do offer return guest discounts. Thanks again!
Wickenburg, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

I’d found and chosen this hotel online. By the time we’d decided we were going to San Diego on our road trip – because my husband wanted to run the marathon – it was very near the time of travel, so I expected options to be limited. I chose America’s Best Value Inn for its rates and its location. For what we wanted it came out unbeatable for this. Mind you, it is not right on the shore, but it is more or less equidistant between the Gaslight District and the Seaport Village, Little Italy and the USS Midway beyond, and Balboa Park, a short walk to these three major destinations in the city.
The hotel itself has no parking, well, limited street parking right outside for unloading, or parking at night, but there is a fee parking lot right across the street.
The hotel has a pleasant interior courtyard with trees, flower beds and a fountain. Check in was swift and very friendly, and we took the elevator to our room on the top floor, facing north. The room was pleasantly furnished and featured all the usual amenities such as fridge, coffee maker, hair dryer, etc, even an ironing board and iron. The TV was a large, modern flat screen, and wifi was excellent. Even though it’s on one of the avenues, the room was very quiet at night.
The north facing room do look out right on the flight path to the nearby airport, and you feel you can scratch their bellies, so close are they, but after a certain time in the evening, they quit coming in, and the insulation of the windows is so good they are not loud flying past.
The breakfast room is a nice, designated room with an extremely well stocked food bar. I’ve rarely seen a motel-type inn with free breakfast with more on offer than here.
We were happy with our three-night stay here and would defectively stay here again.

Room Tip: north facing rooms look right out on the landing aircraft, but they are NOT loud, and they quit late...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Beverwijk, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

I have no problems with a small room but I do when it means that the airco is blowing against one Side of the bed. The room was clean and cheap so that's ok but I had a bad night due to the airco so that's why I only give it 2 stars.

Also, the parking is not included so keep in mind that if you leav your car it will cost 12 dollar for 24 hours.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

We read some reviews and thought this was a good value for a one nighter just to catch a flight early the next morning. It was close to the hotel, so that was nice. that is where the nice ended... There is no hotel parking, it's fend for yourself street side parking, the service was poor, very snippy lady when we checked in. They wanted the Drivers license for both of us upon check in...NEVER had to do that before... her comment, "well there is a first for everything".
The room was horrid, had one of those blinking horror movie lights in the entry way. The bed was hard and uncomfortable. the TV was off in the corner at a ridiculous angle. the sink to wash hands after using the restroom was around the corner from the restroom in a little joke of a kitchenette area... the wall were a sterile glossy paint, reminded me of a bad European hostile!

I would never stay here again or recommend it. there are budget hotels and there are crap hotels, this is a crap hotel!!! on a budget or not!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Orange, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

From the moment I walked onto this site I knew I was in for a horrible stay. The lobby has a terrible smell of cigarette smoke due to the fact that employees and guests regularly smoke at the front entrance.

Once we checked in and walked into our room there was an overpowering and disgusting smell that words cannot possibly begin to describe. I had to leave the window (there was only one and very small) wide opened at all times during our stay. If we were in the room, the front door was left wide open to maximize ventilation.

If you like warm/ hot showers this is NOT the place for you. We left the shower running for about 20 min and at best we got lukewarm water.

Beware of the fact that this place has no parking and you will have a terrible time lugging your stuff around because the staff will not help you!

Which brings me to my next point, the staff will be unbelievably rude to you. I forgot a few items and had to go back a week later for them. During the retrieval process they gave me the runaround, I had to speak to four different people, and they swore up and down that my belongings were not at the hotel. I was lied to and told that they "checked everywhere" but the next day when I called at a different time they had miraculously come across my property in the lost and found. The miscommunication between staff was frustrating and unprofessional.

I will NEVER stay at another Americas Best Value Inn. If you are looking for an affordable and decent hotel I recommend the Comfort Inn on the other side of town they have friendly staff, parking, clean rooms, and amazing continental breakfast!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Americas Best Value Inn - San Diego Downtown? Share your experiences!