“If you love OB, then you'll like this hotel! I love OB. I like this hotel!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Beach Hotel

You added Ocean Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Ocean Beach Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5080 Newport Ave, San Diego, CA 92107   |
Ranked #98 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Los Gatos, California
“If you love OB, then you'll like this hotel! I love OB. I like this hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Listen, don't compare this place to the Marriott or where you would choose to stay in Hawaii. If that's what your going for, check out La Jolla. OB is rustic, historic, surfer town charm! It's chill with a cool vibe. That said, this hotel is a bit more of a motel, what it once was. The price is a bit steep in my opinion, but I assume we are paying for the location. However, I once lived in and still love OB. So, I loved my little room on the third floor with ocean view. I bought candles and vases from the dollar store, flowers from the farmers market and placed them around the room and balcony. I opened my front and balcony door in the day for light and breeze. Rooms are different from one another though. I like I had 306 ( corner room). Looked like a little charming studio. Simple and sweet. But again, I love OB. If your from Santa Cruz, you'll dig it.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Stayed there last week for a family wedding in which the bride wanted us all in one hotel. She didn't look at the room personally. She should have. Our room had a fabulous view of the beach but that was all it had going for it.
Area around hotel was dirty, hippy type of town with homeless people all around the hotel and sleeping on the beach day and night. Police were in the area alot.
Hotel was dirty. Our bathroom was so bad I took a shower with my flip flops on. Broken tiles, peeling paint, no stopper in the drain (cap for toothpaste went in and went straight down).
Wall very thin, could hear neighbors kids at 6 AM and then mom yelling at them for another hour. Street noise was all night long along with the barking dogs in the hotel and on the street. And the planes went over starting promptly at 6 AM and sounded like they were going to scrap the roof they were so low and loud.
Big portable A/C unit sitting on the floor on one side of the bed and took up most of the room on that side of the bed. Nice big sliding window but no screen, so that some one could have literally reached in an touched my husband while we were in bed. And have you ever stayed in a hotel that didn't even have a box of tissues in the room? I discoved that I had 4 sheets of toilet paper at 6:30 in the morning and there was no back up roll and no tissues. Luckily my husband ran down to the desk and someone was there to give him a roll. I was not happy to say the least!
So needless to say we will not be back to that hotel and didn't even like the area. The pier was great and the walk down to the dog beach was fun, but nothing about Ocean Beach or this hotel will be calling us back!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Cathedral City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

We stayed here three nights last weekend, our Godson and his partner were married in San Diego. They booked two suites for a week, and one courtyard view room for a week also. We only had a garden view room also, but sadly only for three nights.

The owner and staff are wonderful folks who make you feel welcome and at home. This is a well maintained older Classic California Hotel. Due to the age the rooms are not the largest on the coast but are updated well, appointed and all rooms seemed to have a small fridge and microwave for reheating those left overs from one of the many good eating places right outside the door. Speaking of right outside the door, is the Beach and Ocean, just cross the street. Most rooms have a view of the longest concrete pier in Southern CA. Sunsets are awesome....plan on viewing them each night of your stay.
Although we didn't have our dog, I have never seen a more pet friendly place. The rooms have tile or laminate floors, so tracked in sand and a occasional "oops" is not a problem.

I will visit this place again, I know it will feel as comfortable and welcoming as it did the first time.

Room Tip: If a light sleeper ask for a room across the courtyard from Newport street. Ocean Beach is a city wh...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

My wife and I just finished an off-season 'staycation' a few miles away at the Ocean Beach Hotel. What fun! Forget dumping your money down the endless dollar hole at Vegas for a 'few days' away. Just get a room at the Ocean Beach Hotel with a view of the water and put your feet up. Fifty feet from the sand and right around the corner from the Newport Ave night life, this is the place to enjoy the funky vibe of Ocean Beach...everything is walking distance.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the ocean or Newport. There are courtyard dog-friendly rooms too.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Sometimes it's hard to tell from online photos about a place..i.e a hotel.
But OB Hotel was very nice, across the street from the ocean, a whole street of
restaurants and bars to enjoy. Parked our car and did not need it for the entire trip.
Very relaxing…next time we'll stay longer!

Room Tip: During your reservation inquire about a beach-front room.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Stayed here for two nights with the wife to get away. The room was a basic bed and toilet, nothing fancy at all. The location was excellent. You can walk to the ocean (across the street), bars, places to eat and stagger back to your room. Would I stay again? Yes... If your not trying to impress your significant other with a beautiful room, but rather a great location, this is the place to go.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
White Bear Lake, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

This is our first time staying at Ocean Beach Hotel. My wife and I have had an incredible experience at this hotel. The staff has been incredibly accommodating. My wife has neck and back problems. We asked for some extra pillows because she was having trouble sleeping. The woman at the desk not only got us pillows, she moved us to a bigger room with a balcony (thinking a different bed may help my wife). She did this without our asking and was so pleasant and helpful.

Location: Ocean Beach (I'm listening to the waves now)
Price: Very reasonable considering the location
Family run: We met the owners (Grosh) and had a great conversation with them. They took the time to give us advice about our upcoming move to San Diego.

I have a friend back in Minnesota who stays here on every visit. I now understand why. This is a really cool place. The courtyard is wonderful. We really like it and are glad that we have four more nights here on the edge of the Pacific Ocean.

Clean rooms, excellent, friendly service, and a family run hotel. The owners are out working on the gardens as I type this review. It is also very quiet with the door and balcony closed. The only thing I hear are the waves crashing.

You can stay somewhere cheaper in San Diego, but you won't stay anywhere as cool and fun. Five stars and a big thank you to everyone at OB Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side may be noisier due to Newport Avenue. However, close the balcony and silence...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ocean Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!