“Right Location, Great Comfortable rest after a day at the Beach” 4 of 5 stars

Ocean Beach Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5080 Newport Ave, San Diego, CA 92107   |
Ranked #97 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Dayton, Ohio
“Right Location, Great Comfortable rest after a day at the Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I think this place is great and I book ahead if I know I am coming to San Diego in the summer. It is near the great places to eat and right across the beach. The staff are very nice and do quite a bit to keep you comfortable and you are so close to the strip of stores, you need not carry much coming and going. They provide wake up calls, washing machine and dryer, ice and plenty of towels.

Room Tip: Rooms on the West side without the balcony or strip view are quieter to have on the weekends and che...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
OBH0TEL, Manager at Ocean Beach Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thanks for the great review Miguel! I'm very happy to hear that you have made us your home away from home and book early in the summer - always a good idea since summer fills up fast. We always strive for 5-star service and I will share this review with our staff to show them that you appreciate their hard work.

It's pretty awesome being right across the street from the beach and on the main drag for restaurants and shopping so that our guests, like you did, park the car and leave it in the parking lot the entire stay. No need to drive when everything is within walking distance.

Great tip on the rooms - our courtside rooms, although they do not have the ocean view balconies, are more tucked away and quieter.

Thanks again for the great review and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Princeton, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed here Friday and Saturday night of Labor Day Weekend. When we arrived, we turned the AC on and about 1 hour later the power went out in the room. This scenario repeated throughout the day, and night, and the next day, and night. We unplugged the fridge to conserve the amperage, but still had the same experience. We would call the front desk, and they answered on the first call maybe 10 out of the 12 times we called over the 2 days. Once they answered, they would flip the breaker in 5 minutes or less. At 3 AM, this isn't nearly as pleasant as it sounds.

Upon addressing it with the staff the next morning, they were barely apologetic, and certainly didn't offer any consolation. "I guess it is because it is hot and everyone is using the air conditioner" was the extent of their apology. When I asked if anything could be done about it, all I got was "Well it shouldn't be as hot today so it might be better".

We searched for rooms anywhere else in San Diego, but were unsuccessful because of the holiday weekend. Ultimately, the 'might be better' prediction proved absolutely wrong. It is surprising to me that the hotel is allowed to operate without sufficient power capacity for all the tenants. I imagine the fire and health departments don't pay close attention to these items in that town.

In addition to the power loss issues, the noise outside the room was ridiculous. The "Private King" is separated from the revelry on the streets and beach by single pane glass. While it was slightly amusing to hear the police clear the streets at 3 AM, it was not my ideal vacation activity. At 6:30 AM the first flights from San Diego Airport started overhead and continued constantly for an hour, which is loud enough to wake the dead.

The location is nice as it is right on the beach and smack in the center of the fun of the community of Ocean Beach, but nowhere near worth the hassle or the cost. All of the above excitement and sleeplessness cost a cool $200/night, and that's after the paltry 15% discount the checkout clerk offered as a consolation for 2 sleepless nights.

My recommendation is to stay in downtown San Diego at any of the fabulous hotels, and take a cab roundtrip for the day and visit Ocean Beach.

Room Tip: Bring a generator if it's hot outside.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Rachel - thank you for the candid review. What can I say? That was a really tough weekend for us and I am very apologetic that you did not enjoy the holiday weekend here. What you describe is not a normal occurrence at the OB Hotel, even on hot days, and is not acceptable. That weekend we were having some serious power issues due to an overload of voltage being drained by A/C units during several weeks of an intense southern California heat wave.

One of the best things about working at this hotel is that the owners take complaints like this very seriously. Being a small family owned and operated business, we move as quickly as possible to solve issues that come up. Your voice is heard loud and clear and the owners have already started to move on a solution so that a weekend like the stay you describe NEVER happens again. I anticipate that in the not so distant future, brand new energy efficient A/C units will be installed in the rooms that were having problems (the Private King suites just so happened to be the rooms having the issues along with a few of the courtside rooms).

As for the noise, there is not much we can do about that - that's the price we pay for being on the main street in Ocean Beach and within walking distance to all that OB has to offer on Newport Ave. The Private King suites are loud rooms because they have the French doors that face the ocean and the street - beautiful views of the ocean but also the noise of Abbott Street. The courtside rooms that are on the interior of the courtyard are much quieter if you decide to give us another chance.

We greatly appreciate your feedback, Rachel, and truly do hope you give us another chance. I encourage you to check back with us soon to see the updates we are making in addressing the issues you bring up. Thank you again and have a wonderful day.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We booked for three nights but stayed for only one. The staff was extremely helpful, polite, and accommodating. The rooms are very rundown though seem clean enough, but the tile is so stained it looks dirty. The location is loud and rowdy. On a busy corner in a wild and crazy part of town. And plenty of airplane noise, too.

Tucson, Arizona, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I live close enough that this is a fairly regular stop. I've been there 3 times this year. But no more. Twice this year the staff has called my room at 4am on a Saturday to ask "if the power was back on yet", waking me up. If it was once, I'd say it was a mistake. Being twice, and on separate trips, I think the hotel has a staffing problem.

You don't go to a hotel to have your sleep interrupted.

It's not unusual for the air conditioner to just cut out during the day and need servicing (3~4 times in the last couple years). It's not unusual for light bulbs to be missing. And you'll get no warning at all if they've booked an event baring you from using the courtyard, which has happened several times. Granted, you would go here to go to the beach, but when there is an event (like a wedding) in the middle of the hotel restricting you well... it's just annoying.

I won't be going back or recommending the place anymore (and if you look, I've given them rave reviews in the past).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
el paso, tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

If you are looking for a hotel right across the street from the beach, this is it. We had the queen condominium with a private deck looking at the ocean and the beautiful sunsets. The staff was very friendly. Our microwave didn't work and within 5 minutes we had a new one all set up. Needed coffee and we had coffee, sugar and creamer for entire stay. The restaurants and night clubs along Newport Ave. were so easy to walk to. Need to take the walk on the pier and watch all the fishing going on and the birds dive bombing into the ocean. Loved our time there!!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

This hotel is ideally situated across from the beach, near the dog beach and close to all that Newport Avenue. With two adults, a teenager and a dog, it was a bit crowded, but the beds were comfortable, everything worked and we could walk to most everything we needed. The front desk staff was courteous. The hotel honored rates offered by other nearby hotels. Overall, we had a very good experience for the week we stayed there.

Room Tip: Usually rooms away from the street are quieter, but even those right on the avenue are still quiet a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
OBH0TEL, Manager at Ocean Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thanks for the great review! Very happy to hear that you had a nice vacation. We love being a pet friendly hotel and welcoming our four-legged friends along with their owners to Ocean Beach. OB is a dog owners paradise with the famous Dog Beach just a few blocks away from the hotel and numerous pet friendly restaurants with patio spaces.

We can't wait to see you again and thank you again for the wonderful review!
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I took my 9 year old son to the beach for a few days August 16-20, 2013 and I chose this hotel due to its location. It is right across from the sand at Ocean Beach. There was plenty of free parking at the hotel, the front desk staff were friendly and I really enjoyed Ocean Beach shops, restaurants and vibe. There was a wedding on Saturday and the hotel provided us with a coupon to a local restaurant given that the courtyard would not be available. We did use that coupon too to Raglan which we enjoyed. My only issues with the hotel was the lack of a power outlet and shelving in the bathroom and the bedspreads. Get rid of the bedspreads. Ours had holes in it and it made the room appear more dated than it already was. The lack of power outlet in the bathroom was a pain as I couldn't blow dry my hair easily. I had to unplug the portable a/c unit and I could barely see in the mirror. I needed an extension cord. The air vent/fan in the bathroom had so much built up dust on it too. I did tell the front desk when I checked out and I hope they cleaned it out after we left. We were on the 3rd floor with a great view of the beach and pier as we had booked a partial ocean view room. We were able to open up a large window and could hear the ocean. We had a good time, I have no complaints about the hotel. I would stay there again and would recommend the hotel to my friends. Ocean Beach is right in the path of San Diego Airport departures so you have planes flying over you all the time. I didn't really find it to be too annoying.

Room Tip: I think the rooms that have the patios facing Newport Blvd might get a little loud but our room open...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
That's for taking the time to write a great review! One of the things we take pride in is not nickel and diming guests - that's why we don't charge for beach parking or our wifi - so that's for mentioning the free parking! I'm very happy to hear you enjoyed the Ocean Beach vibe where we always say "No bad days!"

Isn't Raglan a great restaurant! I'm stoked you were able to use the coupon we provided to try their great organic menu.

You will be happy to hear that we are going to address those exact issues in our off season. We are currently renovating every bathroom with new tile (most of the 3rd floor is complete in fact) and we will be adding power outlets to those bathrooms as well. Thank you as well for letting our front desk know of any issues - that way we can get into the room and fix any issues immediately. I wish we could move the flight pattern, but that one is out of our control...

But I'm stoked you were able to enjoy the ocean view and the sound of the crashing waves from your room. That's what beach living is all about! Thanks again for the review and hope to see you again soon!

Been to Ocean Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!