“Great location, Overpriced” 3 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5080 Newport Ave, San Diego, CA 92107   |
Ranked #98 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
“Great location, Overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

Great location, overpriced. Portable AC unit never worked. Front desk said they would fix it, or drain it, but they never did. If you kept the deck door closed due to the noise outside, the room got hot. Maids did not replace toiletries, we never had 4 towels even though we had 4 in the room. Doubt if we would
return.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Ketchikan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I think this hotel is perfect if you are looking for a 2 star hotel with few amenities that is close to the ocean for surfing, boogie boarding, etc. It isn't everyone's cup of tea. And the truth be told in different circumstances I would have stayed that and been happy with it. But alas, the circumstances weren't right. On this particular occasion I was traveling as a mom by herself with 2, 16 year old girls. We pulled in and a cop was arresting someone across the street. The room was so-so clean. A good solid attempt had been made for the most part. The bathroom had a lot of floor dirt. I didn't see any sign of mold. There was a fridge and microwave. The rooms are small and there is no tub, just a shower. There is no pool either, although the ocean is right across the street. I didn't stay. I went downstairs and checked out. They were very understanding and gave no fuss after I simply said it wouldn't work for us. As they were sold out I am very hopeful they were able to rent the room. If my husband had been with me, we might have stayed if we'd had a suite. If it had just been the two of us, no question, we'd have stayed and enjoyed it. Part of it was my error because the trip advisor rating wasn't consistent with the star rating of the hotel. I don't hesitate to recommend staying at this hotel if the ocean is what you are there for. The staff was wonderful, very welcoming, nice and the hotel itself has a certain vibe that is very appealing. It certainly isn't their fault it wasn't a good fit for me.

Room Tip: Note, there isn't an elevator and I would chose a room away from stairways and the street.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My sister and I went to SD recently and stayed at the OB hotel because it was nicely located on the beach and very reasonably priced. We had an amazing time, mostly due to this hotel's convenience. The hotel was closer to the beach than the public restrooms. The courtyard is gorgeous. The staff was very friendly and helpful, calling us cabs when needed and even providing advil one day when I had a headache. The hotel is an older building with smaller rooms but this was perfect for the two of us. Coffee is provided in the lobby and we even caught the owner one morning in Woody, his wonderfully restored De Soto. I would highly recommend this hotel to a group of laidback college friends or an older couple. I know we will be staying here again in the future!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Woodbridge, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed at 4 hotels during my stay in the SoCal area. The Queen Mary, the Double Tree in San Pedro and the Hard Rock in San Diego and non of them had the charm and atmosphere that this hotel did. It is right on the beach with a short walk to many great local area restaurants, shops and just steps from a huge pier.

Contrary to some of the other reviews, my room was very clean and I could tell the bathroom in particular had recently been redone. While the room was a bit small, it was more than big enough for me. It had a small microwave and fridge along with a table and chairs for two. It wasn't fancy, but it was very comfortable.

All the rooms open onto a courtyard which has a number of tables with a very cool feature to them. You see, Ocean Beach is not only friendly to people, they are friendly to dogs as well. There was a water bowl at the base of every table. I thought that was a very nice touch.

While I posted a few pictures of the area, you can also view the hotel using Google Street View. I am not talking about viewing it from the street, but you can wander into the Courtyard and even check out a few of the rooms. As a computer guy I thought that was very cool that they did that.

I loved how friendly the people were. The place is maintained by the owners both of whom were onsite when I was there. When I was relaxing in the courtyard, he came over and introduced himself and told me about the area. My only regret is that I only booked a one night stay. If I find myself in the area again, i will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: This place does not have an elevator and it is 3 stories, so if you have mobility issues, request a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We frequent Ocean Beach quite often. It is one of the places that we enjoy most in San Diego, it's a very laid back atmosphere. Our recent stay here was prompted by a deal from the Ocean Beach Hotel; we were going to be saving roughly $40 a night on an otherwise proposterous asking point for their queen size (only bed) room. In the middle of the first night the fridge decides that it wanted to thaw out all over the floor. The heater/ac unit didn't function as the buttons suggest, almost as if you needed a code book to get it to function the way you wanted. Not being a safe cracker we were constantly messing with the buttons to get it to turn off, short of unplugging it. It was actually warmer outside of the room than inside, and we were on the beach. :| The view and location is really the only saving grace of this hotel. The inside of the rooms were clean and looked nice upon first inspection, slowly dissecting you see the cracks. Despite these things it did not effect our stay, would I stay there again? No.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
OBH0TEL, Manager at Ocean Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thanks for the review Chesha14 - we really appreciate it! I'm really happy to hear that you have made Ocean Beach a regular stop to enjoy a relaxing day at the beach. As you know, San Diego gets fantastic weather pretty much the entire year so I encourage you to stay during our off-season when rates are lower and the weather is still great. It's important to us to provide a great beach vacation while also being affordable so we offer a low price guarantee - if you ever find a hotel in San Diego that is beachfront and has a cheaper rate - we will match it!

For the fridge, it sounds to me like it was unplugged somehow - we have checked the rooms and all of the mini-fridges are working properly so maybe that was the case. If there is ever a problem or if you can't figure something out (like the AC unit) please don't hesitate to call our front desk and we will fix/solve any issues immediately. We greatly value feedback so I will address these items with the team in our effort to make every experience at this hotel a fantastic vacation.

I hope you give us another chance the next time you are in Ocean Beach. Thanks again for the review.
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

This hotel is our "go to" spot for San Diego. You are a mere few steps from the beach and the pier, and a short walk to doggie beach, which is why our dogs continuously drag us along to S.D. The hotel allows guests to bring their pets, for the rooms on the first floor that have patios. They also can hang out with you in the courtyard, which is beautiful. There is a glass wall that allows you to sit and watch humanity on the streets, and the ocean, while protected from the breeze off the ocean. If your looking for something fun to do for 4th of July, Ocean Beach Hotel is the place to be. After the fireworks show off of the pier, a huge marshmallow fight breaks out, and the 2nd and 3rd floor balconies are the best spot for viewing, and participating in it, without getting hit. The police and fire trucks even drive through the melee, drawing heavy fire from the crowd. After it's over crews come out and clean the place up. It's great fun, bring your own ammo. There is great shopping nearby and restaurants, but the hotel doesn't have any food service. They are a little pricey and the rooms aren't very big but they do take AAA.

Room Tip: Rooms on the street side can get a little noisy at night when the bars close. Your dogs will love...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
OBH0TEL, Manager at Ocean Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
We are stoked to be your "go to" spot Cheryl! We look forward to seeing you again the next time your dogs decide to vacation in San Diego! We love our four-legged guests which is why we welcome pets in any first floor room which includes both courtside rooms and patio rooms, as well as, in our newly renovated ocean-view courtyard.

MARSHMALLOW FIGHT! Sorry - didn't mean to scream-type - I just get excited when someone mentions the OB 4th of July festivities and marshmallow fight. We are indeed the epicenter of the 4th of July action - I loved your description and tips ("bring your own ammo"). Every grocery store in southern California runs out of marshmallows that week so good tip.

Thanks again for the review and we can't wait to see you again soon!
San Francisco, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Cant beat the beach right outside! Rooms were small but tidy. It was located in a lively beach town and the courtyard was charming and well kept. There is a long and pleasant pier for strolling very nearby. My partner and I enjoyed a very nice beach vacation here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
OBH0TEL, Manager at Ocean Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Hi Bryan - thanks so much for the review! We are really happy to hear you had a nice beach vacation in OB and were able to enjoy our newly renovated courtyard, the charm of Ocean Beach, and the longest concrete pier on the west coast. Watching sunsets from the pier is one of the most relaxing things of all time. You are correct, our rooms are a bit small - that's how they built 'em back in the day but we do our best to maximize the area with good space management.

Thanks again for the review and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Been to Ocean Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!