“Can't get any closer to the ocean” 4 of 5 stars

Ocean Beach Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5080 Newport Ave, San Diego, CA 92107   |
Ranked #89 of 269 hotels in San Diego
Littleton, Colorado
“Can't get any closer to the ocean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

And we were in King Suite 201 (301 would be the same, only one floor up). But with the view and sound of the waves and the OB Pier, also came some street noises. We got used to it after one night. NOT FANCY BY ANY MEANS. We had a balcony out one direction and French doors that open up to the view and sounds out a slightly different direction. We sat and just watched the always entertaining, ever changing view and people. We will ALWAYS stay here when visiting San Diego. Front desk very helpful, gave great restaurant recommendations (South Beach Bar and Grill for lunch/dinner and The Old Townhouse for breakfast). Always walk a few blocks away from Newport Avenue to see more of OB.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
OBH0TEL, Manager at Ocean Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you so much for the review and we are very excited that you will be a return guest at the OB Hotel when you are back in San Diego! The King Suites are an excellent choice with the full view of the ocean - no better way to fall asleep than to the sound of the crashing waves. I'm also happy to hear you were able to experience some of the incredible restaurants in OB.

Indeed, the price we pay for being in the heart of downtown OB is the noise from Newport. But as you stated, that's the price for having so many great restaurants and shops within walking distance. For a quieter stay next time, may I suggest the Private King Suite which is on the more tucked away side of the hotel away from Newport but still has the French doors that face the ocean (no balcony though) or the Ocean View Condo Suite with 2 Queen Beds - this room I think you will find is FANCY with a full remodeled kitchen, bathroom, and luxurious 250 square foot deck that overlooks the ocean.

Whichever room you choose, we will be so excited to see you again - thank you and have a wonderful day!

574 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

The OB Hotel has really been cleaned up! Growing up in SD, I knew it's reputation, but we took a chance anyway. I was super impressed by how clean and upgraded it was. The staff was nice and helpful. The room was small, but very clean and comfortable. Almost every room has an ocean view. Well done OB Hotel, we will stay with you again!

OBH0TEL, Manager at Ocean Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Gordonfast24 - it means a ton to us to be recommended by the local community. Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review! As a San Diegan, you have seen the changes that we make every year to become the best oceanfront hotel in San Diego. Thank you for "taking a chance" on us and I'm very happy to hear we exceeded expectations. We greatly look forward to seeing you again and please refer family and friends to stay with us if you don't have room for them. Thanks again and have an awesome day!
Salt Lake City, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

This hotel is in a fun location-- lots to see within walking distance and right across the street from the beach. BE WARNED though-- the room photos on the hotel's website are deceptive... our room was dirty and run-down (mold in bathroom, beat up furniture missing parts, old/dirty bed linens, etc). If properly renovated and cared for this hotel could be a gem... it's too bad that's not the case.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
OBH0TEL, Manager at Ocean Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Ouch! Well, I'm glad you liked the location and thank you for the review - we take all feedback extremely seriously and I sincerely apologize that you did not enjoy your stay with us. If there is anything wrong with a room, please let our front desk staff know so that we can remedy the problem - we may have been able to give you an upgrade while we researched any problems with the room and fixed them.

The issues that you listed are absolutely unacceptable and are not things that are tolerated at our hotel. I will bring them to the attention of our entire staff and to our service vendors. I'm curious if you called the front desk to notify them of the situations so that we could inspect the problem. We monitor our rooms on a daily basis, receive top marks in cleanliness which is the #1 priority of any nice hotel, employ a fantastic maintenance team, and work with one of the top linen vendors in San Diego with a maid/management staff that closely monitors any issues. If we are notified of furniture not working properly, we either fix it immediately or replace it if we can't. As a small family owned and operated business, we go to great lengths to make this a gem and are very sorry you did not get that impression.

I hope that you will give us another chance, and if you do, any one of our front desk staff will be able to give you a tour of several room types so that you can not only enjoy the beach but enjoy your room as well. Thank you again for your review.
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

We went for a friend's birthday, recommended by another friend so we all stayed because of affordability and location. Literally walk across the street and you are at the beach. My husband upgraded to a suite that overlooked the ocean, just beautiful. The only problem was the service... We were in our room and everyone was having beers getting a little tipsy while we waited for others it was 2pm but I understand we were getting a little loud and asked to keep it down which we did and then left for the day and night. My husband and I came back to go to bed and at 10:30pm we get a phone call from the front desk saying if we get another complaint they will ask us to leave. I was so confused being woken up from sleep and told them we weren't making any noise and they tried to tell me it was from earlier. I was not happy that they were threatening to kick us out from something that happened 8 hours earlier. Otherwise everything was good in the room, big comfy bed, flat screen tv, fridge/freezer, microwave, couch, table, etc.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Ajax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

There's no doubt the room was small, but there's a bed, a TV, a small table to eat at and a bathroom. All you need.

Bed was nice, it was a relief after the awful bed I had in my last hotel. We slept great. Area is just the best, we had a great time down there. There was a street market on Wednesday night, lots of people and fun things to do and see (and eat).

Service people were fine, they answered the few questions I had.

Location is what makes this place. You can walk out and be on the people in 60 seconds. Beach area is great, lots of legit surfers and kids. We were on the beach walking every night.

I would go again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
OBH0TEL, Manager at Ocean Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you so much for the fantastic review! Yes, you are correct - when the building was originally built they made the rooms on the smaller side. We do our very best with space management to make them very enjoyable beach front rooms. In the future, if you prefer more spacious rooms, try our remodeled Ocean View Condo 2 Queen with an expansive deck or the King sized bed rooms - they have an expanded sitting area. But when it all boils down - you got it right on - all the essentials are there and the beach is right out front!

So happy that you were able to enjoy so much of what Ocean Beach has to offer like walks along the beach, the delicious local restaurants, and the famous Farmers Market on Wednesday nights. I'm also very happy to hear that you received the top-notch customer service that we strive for.

We can't wait to see you again on your next visit! Thank you again for the review and hope to see you soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

The hotel has a great staff, the rooms were very comfortable and with it located right on the beach nobody could beat the value of our stay. So many good dining choices for any meal within walking distances as well as night life and entertainment. Plenty of nearby shopping. 10 minute cab ride from the airport and 20 to the San Diego Zoo. One of the most valuable vacations I've planned.

• Stayed March 2013
OBH0TEL, Manager at Ocean Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Digger4life - you rock! Thank you so much for the awesome review! Being a small boutique hotel, we take a great deal of pride in providing exceptional customer service for each of our guests. I'm happy to hear that we achieved that with your stay. We also feel it important to keep rates as affordable as possible and it's great to hear that you found the value in being beach front, within walking distance of tons of shopping/restaurants, and in a centralized location in San Diego so that it's easy to get to the Zoo and SeaWorld. How neat is the SD Zoo by the way? I've grown up in San Diego, probably have gone hundreds of times, and still remain a season pass holder because that place is just amazing.

Thank you again for your review - we truly appreciate it - and can't wait to see you again soon!
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I am torn in writing this review as the hotel itself was nice but the area surrounding it isn't. My thoughts on staying here are this
- If you are with adults then you are fine and, given the number of bars you could have a lot of fun.
- If you are with your kids, I would not recommend this hotel due to the location.

Nearly all the place to eat near the hotel are 21 or older to get in. My daughter and I were spending 5 days in San Diego and I picked this hotel for our first night stay. We got in late and attempted to get food once we got to the hotel but every place we tried was 21 or older to get in and there were a lot of drunk and homeless people about.

The hotel itself was clean, the front desk was friendly, and the view of the ocean in the morning was very nice. The one negative part of the hotel was the noise. During the night there was a lot of noise amplified by the center square and the airplane noise was loud starting at 6:00ish a.m. in the morning.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
OBH0TEL, Manager at Ocean Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you for the review! I'm really happy to hear that you enjoyed the hotel but disappointed that you got that impression of Ocean Beach. Sounds to me that our front desk did not give you recommendations for places to eat with kids. Some of my favorite family friendly places to eat are Shades Ocean Front Bistro, Hodad's, Raglan Public House, Nati's, Ortega's, Newbreak Café, Nico's, okay I'll stop there but there are about 10 more. If you got in really late, some of those may have been closed but most stay open until at least 10pm.

Most people tell me that Ocean Beach is an awesome place to bring the family to the beach. The beach directly out front of the hotel does not allow alcohol which allows families to come down and enjoy a day at the beach that isn't overwhelmed by partying. I think if you gave us another chance and arrived a little earlier in the day to enjoy all there is in OB, you may have a different opinion of the area. That being said, I'm glad you enjoyed the hotel for the most part but I apologize that you did not completely enjoy your stay. I hope you give us another chance and, if you do, make sure to get a few recommendations from the front desk as we love to help out with places to eat and see in town.

Been to Ocean Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!