“Pleasantly Surprised” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rodeway Inn Mission Valley

Save Saved
You added Rodeway Inn Mission Valley to your Saves list
Rodeway Inn Mission Valley
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5399 Adobe Falls Road, San Diego, CA 92120 (Formerly Quality Inn near Qualcomm Stadium)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #113 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

I was a little nervous due to the mixed reviews but it was a good experience. The room was clean and there was very little noise, with the latter may be due to being on the 2nd floor. When I turned on the AC initially it was weirdly muggy but became better a few hours later. Not sure I dug the smell too much which I think it was due to whatever they used to clean the bedding and/or the room, but at least it wasn't stinky from cigarettes or uncleanliness. I would stay again.

• Stayed April 2014
Pratik S, General Manager at Rodeway Inn Mission Valley, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Thank you for your review. We hope to see you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

The property was very nicely remodeled and clean. The sleep quality not good because of thin walls/lack of insulation; you can hear every noise next door. The owners were unfriendly and non-caring and the staff is indifferent to the customers.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Pratik S, General Manager at Rodeway Inn Mission Valley, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Hi Nursemaker,

I want to thank you for leaving a review. I apologize about the discomfort you had with the noise from the surrounding rooms. One thing I can recommend is requesting a corner room to minimize the number of people around you.

I am also sorry to hear your experience with the owners was not pleasant. I do not believe you had the opportunity to meet them as they do not work at the hotel. If it was an issue with the front desk staff, I will address your experience with them and make sure we provide better customer service to our guests.

Regards,

Pratik Shah
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

My family and I stayed at this place based on the good reviews from here. We normally stay at Holiday Inn Express because they are very consistent wherever you stay, but I wanted to save a few bucks. This stay was ok, but not as good as some of the reviews would lead you to think. The place is not as clean as some reviews indicate. While the beds appeared to be clean and the bathroom was fairly clean (though extremely small), the carpets were filthy, so much I didn't want to walk around with my shoes off at all (I even had concerns about walking with my shoes ON, jk). Imagine large blackened wear spots right down the middle of the carpet, from the door to the bathroom.

In addition, there was a gaping space around the door which let all kinds of noise inside, which wouldn't be a huge problem if the room wasn't right next to the freeway. So, we had to deal with unnecessary freeway noise the entire time. At the bottom of the door was a space about 1/2 an inch. We had to place a rolled up towel there to keep light out, but nothing would stop the sound. My wife didn't seem to mind the noise and said it was like white noise to help her sleep better. I was bothered because it should have been obvious to whoever installed the door and could be remedied with a cheap seal from Home Depot.

The location seemed ok, no more dangerous than other parts of San Diego. Parking was ample. The staff were pretty friendly. The breakfast was decent, better than some other hotels, not much selection though. Also, the area where breakfast was served only has two tables to sit at. The Wi-fi was fast enough for Netflix/Hulu, though the TV was pretty small. The clock radio gave off random noises that could not be controlled. It would randomly turn on and play static, not matter what you did to it. Also, I noticed that the smoke alarm was not turned on. I climbed up on the bed to take a look and I was right, it wasn't even connected. The A/C did work well and was pretty quiet.

The room itself was pretty small for a double queen, as many other reviews state. Overall, I give the room a 2 out of 5, but the establishment a 3 out of 5 since some of the problems I experienced may have only been with my room (e.g. dirty carpet, gap in door, broken clock radio). This is a decent place if you are overly concerned about the price. However, my next stay I will likely just spend a few extra bucks and stay at a better hotel, like Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Hi pcaz79,

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay. I am glad to hear any suggestions to make the room quality and overall experience from our guests. For the noise coming in the room, we have installed wither strips on the door frame. However, like you mentioned, there may be improvements to sealing the outside noise by installing another seal at the bottom of the door.

I am glad to hear you liked the breakfast even though the breakfast area is small. We do suggest that guests take their breakfast to the pool area and enjoy it at the tables. We have umbrellas attached to the tables so you can enjoy your breakfast in the shade!

We hope to see you again at our property and will take into account your suggestion!

Pratik Shah
Hemet, California, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

We thought the location was a little strange until we realized that a neighborhood had grown up around the hotel. Very close to our work location, very close to restaurants and stuff in Grantville. This is a very plain, unfancy hotel, but boy oh boy is it clean! Everything sparkles in these rooms, the breakfast room in the lobby is so clean and shiny you can't wait to eat there. The staff is very friendly and recognizes you from past visits. Very quiet neighborhood, but very close to Interstate 8. Feels safe. It's an easy room for two people to get ready for work, laid out just right. Like I said, very plain, nothing special, but CLEAN!!!!

Room Tip: It is a quiet place, I don't know if there is a difference in room quality as they have given us...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

Can nearly accept a hotel next to a noisy freeway , but shifty looking guest coming and going didn't make me feel very safe . Maybe a room around the front , facing the street would have been more in the open and safer.

Room Tip: get a room on the street, not around the back
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Tucson
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

The room was clean, a bit small for 2 queen beds, the office staff was friendly the check in lady was helpful in honoring the online AAA price even though I didn't make the reservation through AAA. Breakfast was OK the usual cereal, waffles and muffins I'm not to big on sweets so for me it wasn't that great of a breakfast. The location is next to only one other hotel in a residential neighborhood but is not too far from stuff. I also noticed staff keeping the outside clean as well. We were on the bottom floor which was nice because we were able to park right in front of the hotel room. Overall I had a nice stay just not so sure about the price almost $70 with taxes for just one night !

• Stayed March 2014
Burlington, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Hotel is in a quiet residential area about 10 miles from the airport and right off I-8. Large room with 2 queen beds, refrigerator, and microwave. There is a sink outside the bathroom. Wifi works well. They require a $50 deposit in addition to the hotel charges. This gets reimbursed after you leave. Breakfast was OK. There was cornflakes and fruit loops, hard eggs, waffles, and bagels. The breakfast room was small. Good value.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Rodeway Inn Mission Valley? Share your experiences!