“Motel, but not really a motel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 San Diego Downtown

Save Saved
You added Motel 6 San Diego Downtown to your Saves list
Motel 6 San Diego Downtown
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1546 2nd Avenue, I-5/San Diego Freeway at 6th Avenue, San Diego, CA 92101   |
Ranked #181 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Motel, but not really a motel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

We stayed at this hotel/motel for 1 night. I booked it as I thought that it would be a proper motel, as I have never stayed in one. It turned out to be a plain and simple budget hotel. Saying that it was clean, but very basic.
My partner described the lobby, corridors and room itself as clinical and hospital like. It was ok for one night, but would probably choose something a bit more elegant and inviting for a longer stay.
The location is ok, although there are quite a few homeless people in the surrounding area.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

I have to say reading these reviews of the hotel some are misrepresented.

The location is just outside the tourist area of Gas Lamp Quarter, one of the most famous places in San Diego. So without breaking the bank this is an ideal location, and only 5-6 blocks away. 10 blocks to Petco Park for the ball fans.

The rooms were small, updated and a modern twist, no more then 2 people per room, its a funcitional room, nothing special, note they do not supply shampoo or anything.

Parking is tight, but with two lots there is always a space available, i drove around during my stay and never missed a spot. The area is on the outside of a tourist zone, and like more american cities that have hot spots the outsides are sometimes not as nice, during the day there was nothing wrong, and i did walk at night, but you have to have common sense and keep your witts and you'll be fine.

The hotel staff was great, Kurt the manager was good on his promise of a quite, clean room, if you have any problems talk to him. He's more then generous.

All in all its well worth the price, as you are walking distance from anything, food, night life, warf, battleships.

Warning: There is limited to zero internet ( that you have to purchase for 2.99 for 24hrs) unless your room has the router.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

We stayed for 3 nights in August, managed to find hotel very easily from the airport, its right off the I-5 so easy enough to find. Parking was fairly simple, they have 2 car parks, one that is behind the hotel and one on the side. Side car park was a bit smaller and sometimes difficult to park in but back car park was fine and easy to use as well.
Check in went smoothly, Abby was extremely helpful throughout our entire stay, providing us with a map, idea of where to go and eat and also a cooler box which we returned after our stay.
Room was fine, very comfortable, maid service every day, only complaints are sometimes floors weren't always clean and even though we found wifi to only be $2.99 per day, we had problems with connectivity as the signal was quite weak!
Overall, its in a really good location and its 15 mins walk to Gaslamp district, we had a car for the trip so found it a great location for our price.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
La Verne, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

Very clean and comfortable room. I stayed one night and enjoyed it very much after a day at Sea World. The flooring and bathroom were brand new. The bed was comfortable. The TV reception great. The noise level fine (Tuesday night). The service was good and I was given directions to local restaurants where I wanted to eat by the staff. My only complaint was that the room seemed a bit small to me which would not make a place I would want to room for a whole week.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Fresno, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

This was my first experience w/ Motel 6, and it was a pleasant one. The rooms were very clean, simply and modern. Reminded me of futuristic rooms from a movie or something. No bells and whistles in room, but blow dryers, irons and extra amenities were available upon request. Staff members were nice and helpful. Gaslamp and the cruise harbors were walking distance (about 15 mins), but we were running a little late (our own faults), so we took a cab instead. Outside the hotel was quiet. Keys/cards are required to enter through back parking lot, so there was some sense of safety there. I'd def. stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

I have stayed at this location previously. You can't beat the location for the price you pay. It has undergone a remodel in the past year, and it's great. The only negative I would have to comment on is the parking, but it's downtown San Diego, so it's to be expected. If you want an area with better parking or bigger rooms for the same price, stay in a more generic area like Hotel Circle. I took my 11 year old daughter, and the single room was big enough for us. She loved the experience we had from walking around in the gaslamp district.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Oslo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

Very cool interior, clean, safe inside but I didnt like all the drugaddicts/beggars/bums living on a parkinglot just outside the hotel. They didnt do me anything, but they made me feel unsafe and I didnt go home by myself at night. The location is very close (6min walk) to Broadway and a maybe 12 min to Gaslamp. Not a lot of good eatingplaces or any shops just outside the hotel, so be prepared to have to walk to Broadway to eat your breakfast. My room were really cool with Scandinavian/IKEA style, a fairly large flatscreen tv and a very clean and inviting feeling. My room didnt face the street, so it was very quiet. But overall- a very good place to stay in San Diego.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Been to Motel 6 San Diego Downtown? Share your experiences!