“Great value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 San Diego Downtown

You added Motel 6 San Diego Downtown to your Saves list
Motel 6 San Diego Downtown
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1546 2nd Avenue, I-5/San Diego Freeway at 6th Avenue, San Diego, CA 92101   |
Ranked #177 of 273 Hotels in San Diego
Sydney, Australia
“Great value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Ii'd heard lots of bad things about motel 6 properties, but this one must be the exception. Newly renovated, my room was modern with a new bed and TV. Comfortable, clean, safe and absolutely fantastic value for the location as well as free parking. The Wifi is a small fee but was fast enough and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Walking distance to all the attractions in the city and a short drive to the Zoo, would stay again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I had an interview and this motel was in the perfect location. I made the reservation for 3 people and spoke to Patiance, Manager on Duty, and Daisy the General Manager about my adult child and his girlfriend checking in prior to me. Filled out all the paper work, spoke to both managers the day of the reservation and all was well. Then the phone call came from my son, "the room only has one bed." So when I arrived at 1130pm, I asked for a roll away bed but they don't have them. Unable to accommodate was what was said to me. So these rooms have ONLY 1 BED. And the management staff FAILed to inform me the entire time I was on the phone with them. They changed the name on the reservation to my son's girlfriend, and I was unable to get the room number even though I paid for it. I was forced to rent another room. This is the greed. I found out that they do this to folks traveling from out of the country, students, families with small children, and the worst of all, our Military. The second night of my reservation I forfeited the second room and slept on the floor. The gross, I was in the bathroom, personally, and across from me on the wall were a blood stain and a pubic hair. We left it there for the cleaning staff to see how thorough they were. Ya it was still there when we came back to the room. I have pictures of blood and pubis on my phone.

Room Tip: This is a great concept for those traveling in 2s or a single. Its a great price for the area but t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Ensenada, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

It was great to find a hotel so close to downtown. I came to the front desk and payed $70 for the night and internet access, and when heading to the room I realized the hotel had little ventilation, when entering the room then realized the very new decor and somewhat neat room for the location and price. The room was very hot and the AC did not work properly, since I lowered it from 80 to 60 and it was still very hot through the night, I could not bare the smell of cigarettes, the smell was so strong my hair smelled like I had been clubbing all night! And you're not supposed to smoke inside this building. Bring your own shampoo & conditioner since these are not provided.

Room Tip: Room 220 had 2 bugs flying around
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Huntington Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

I attended the Social Distortion show at the San Diego HOB 1/4/2013 and just needed a simple, cheap place to stay for the night. I normally would veer away from Motel 6 due to some bad experiences in the past (un-related to this property) I saw some good reviews on TripAdvisor and decided to give this place a shot, I was taking the train and it was walking distance from the station an a quick walk to the HOB. Now I have stayed in the most ultra booshie 5 star resorts as well as some real dives. The Motel 6 on 2nd in SD is neither so if you are expecting the Ritz then go pay $250 however if you need a unique (the room decor surprisingly was kinda boutique ultra modern), very clean, well priced, centrally located (you can walk to GasLamp, Little Italy, HOB, 4Th an B) then this place is for you stop now look no further! The building is older yet very well remodeled and well kept, the ladies at the front desk were very friendly, I requested a quiet room on an upper floor and got just that (room #425) the room was small yet well decorated, VERY clean with all the modern conveniences. It was an end unit so I had two sides with windows and a great view of the high rises, the lights at night were cool! If you have a car there is a safe parking lot right next door so no worries. My friends arrived and we made some cocktails for the walk over to the HOB and left. Some quick points...This is a great place for a single traveler or young couple who want a simple, clean room close to the nightlife, shopping or dinner spots if you require a over the top place full of frills ya might want to check elsewhere and pay alot more I was beyond pleased with the value at this Motel 6 !...This property is located in the inner city of San Diego, I personally like the lofts, small dive bars, cool little eating places but for some older folks or snobs this area might not be to your liking however I thought it was totally safe....If ya get hungry I would recommend the little deli right next door for breakfast or Taco Express or Fillipii's Little Italy all are great! Cheers !

• Stayed January 2013
Goleta, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Pros:
+ location
+price
pay attention to the "deal" tab on the website
+new
steady and hot water, clean interior, odorless; excellent decor.
+super helpful staffs
I asked Sandy everything, from fun to food to transportation. She gave me tons of useful advice.
Loved the places and restaurants she told me. You could get incredible experiences without costing
much.

Cons:
-No fridge
Sad thing if you just come back from the Market Outlet
-slow elevator

The motel was so good that I decided to extend my stay.
I will suggest my friends to stay here if they are going to SD.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Henderson, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

This not your typical Motel 6. It's inside a refurbished four story building in an urban setting. The decor is kind of "spartan/modern". The rooms and public areas were very clean and the staff was friendly; even allowing me to check-in at 11am, when I just wanted to park my car. The rooms are new with modern, funky fixtures. It's just the bed that was somewhat hard.

The location is what makes it a value... safe walking distance to the Gaslmap, Convention Center and harbor. It's also only a few blocks from a green line trolly stop.

One of the many great things about San Diego is the many decent, relatively inexspensive motels that are walking distance to so many great attractions. You can add this Motel 6 to the list.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I must confess that I was a little bit worried after I read some 'not so good' reviews about this place but decided to give it a try because of the reasonable prices and location. Thankfully I did not give up this place. When I arrrived I couldn't have a better reception! Patiance, the lady in the front desk was really helpful and friendly! Check-in was pretty quick and smooth. Motel was clean and the room was nice and comfortable. Would be better if there was a safe in the bedroom though. Location is very good: Little Italy and the Gaslamp District are within walking distance and you can walk to two trolley stations: Civic Center (blue and orange lines) and Little Italy (green line). All in all, it is a very good place to stay while in San Diego. Would definetily stay there again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo