“LOW PRICE-GREAT LOCATION-HUGE VALUE !” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 San Diego Downtown

Save Saved
You added Motel 6 San Diego Downtown to your Saves list
Motel 6 San Diego Downtown
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1546 2nd Avenue, I-5/San Diego Freeway at 6th Avenue, San Diego, CA 92101   |
Ranked #178 of 268 hotels in San Diego
Huntington Beach, California
“LOW PRICE-GREAT LOCATION-HUGE VALUE !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I attended the Social Distortion show at the San Diego HOB 1/4/2013 and just needed a simple, cheap place to stay for the night. I normally would veer away from Motel 6 due to some bad experiences in the past (un-related to this property) I saw some good reviews on TripAdvisor and decided to give this place a shot, I was taking the train and it was walking distance from the station an a quick walk to the HOB. Now I have stayed in the most ultra booshie 5 star resorts as well as some real dives. The Motel 6 on 2nd in SD is neither so if you are expecting the Ritz then go pay $250 however if you need a unique (the room decor surprisingly was kinda boutique ultra modern), very clean, well priced, centrally located (you can walk to GasLamp, Little Italy, HOB, 4Th an B) then this place is for you stop now look no further! The building is older yet very well remodeled and well kept, the ladies at the front desk were very friendly, I requested a quiet room on an upper floor and got just that (room #425) the room was small yet well decorated, VERY clean with all the modern conveniences. It was an end unit so I had two sides with windows and a great view of the high rises, the lights at night were cool! If you have a car there is a safe parking lot right next door so no worries. My friends arrived and we made some cocktails for the walk over to the HOB and left. Some quick points...This is a great place for a single traveler or young couple who want a simple, clean room close to the nightlife, shopping or dinner spots if you require a over the top place full of frills ya might want to check elsewhere and pay alot more I was beyond pleased with the value at this Motel 6 !...This property is located in the inner city of San Diego, I personally like the lofts, small dive bars, cool little eating places but for some older folks or snobs this area might not be to your liking however I thought it was totally safe....If ya get hungry I would recommend the little deli right next door for breakfast or Taco Express or Fillipii's Little Italy all are great! Cheers !

• Stayed January 2013

209 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Goleta, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Pros:
+ location
+price
pay attention to the "deal" tab on the website
+new
steady and hot water, clean interior, odorless; excellent decor.
+super helpful staffs
I asked Sandy everything, from fun to food to transportation. She gave me tons of useful advice.
Loved the places and restaurants she told me. You could get incredible experiences without costing
much.

Cons:
-No fridge
Sad thing if you just come back from the Market Outlet
-slow elevator

The motel was so good that I decided to extend my stay.
I will suggest my friends to stay here if they are going to SD.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Henderson, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

This not your typical Motel 6. It's inside a refurbished four story building in an urban setting. The decor is kind of "spartan/modern". The rooms and public areas were very clean and the staff was friendly; even allowing me to check-in at 11am, when I just wanted to park my car. The rooms are new with modern, funky fixtures. It's just the bed that was somewhat hard.

The location is what makes it a value... safe walking distance to the Gaslmap, Convention Center and harbor. It's also only a few blocks from a green line trolly stop.

One of the many great things about San Diego is the many decent, relatively inexspensive motels that are walking distance to so many great attractions. You can add this Motel 6 to the list.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I must confess that I was a little bit worried after I read some 'not so good' reviews about this place but decided to give it a try because of the reasonable prices and location. Thankfully I did not give up this place. When I arrrived I couldn't have a better reception! Patiance, the lady in the front desk was really helpful and friendly! Check-in was pretty quick and smooth. Motel was clean and the room was nice and comfortable. Would be better if there was a safe in the bedroom though. Location is very good: Little Italy and the Gaslamp District are within walking distance and you can walk to two trolley stations: Civic Center (blue and orange lines) and Little Italy (green line). All in all, it is a very good place to stay while in San Diego. Would definetily stay there again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I've stayed here now 2 times and there's plenty more to come. The ladies at the front desk REALLY take care of you. U can't beat the location. It's a minute from Horton Plaza, Little Italy, a few minutes from Hillcrest, Sea World, & I-5 north and south are so convenient to hop on. For this price, this location, if you come to SD, I HIGHLY recommend this motel 6.

• Stayed October 2012
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

This is a modestly priced motel in a good location and predictably this is not a great spot. The lobby and hallways are weary and institutional and smell intensely. The rooms are small but nice though not well cleaned. I wont stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Oceanside, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this property one night. I did feel like I was in a clinic when I first entered the room. The location and value of the motel was unbeatable. I thought the bed was comfortable and the A/C worked great.
But the room was not cleaned properly in my opinion. Dirty black foot prints on the floor worn stained towels and a dead roach was not expected when I checked in(see pics). The bathroom was clean and the sink area was the same. I am unsure if I will stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012

Been to Motel 6 San Diego Downtown? Share your experiences!