“there are better motels to stay” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 San Diego Downtown

Save Saved
You added Motel 6 San Diego Downtown to your Saves list
Motel 6 San Diego Downtown
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1546 2nd Avenue, I-5/San Diego Freeway at 6th Avenue, San Diego, CA 92101   |
Ranked #177 of 268 hotels in San Diego
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
“there are better motels to stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

large motel with very small chambers which are for a dog too small
the chamber was this way small that you but 10 inches near the wall
no frigidaire
view against a wall
very noisy between the rooms
no internet no breakfast
for this value ....don't , there a better

Room Tip: parking for free but watch how you park because they hit our car
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

209 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Berkeley
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

I had stayed in this Motel 6 two or three times before and liked it quite a bit so I was extremely disappointed this time. The first room I was given had an unresponsive air conditioning unit, a bathtub that didn't drain well, and a bed without a blanket. At 3 a.m. I went down to the front desk to ask for a blanket and was told there were none left. So up I went to freeze for several hours underneath a thin bedspread in a fairly stuffy room. The bed was hard - felt like I was sleeping on the floor. I hated the "upgrade" with diner-like seats near the bed, the closet behind the TV screen, etc. The next day I was allowed to transfer to another room and was given two blankets so at least they tried to improve the situation. The second room had the same hard bed, the blankets were so thin they didn't keep me warm at night, and in this room there was almost no water pressure for the shower/bathroom sink. I was also a bit surprised that a small box of tissues wasn't provided - perhaps they should advertise that they provide a tiny bar of soap and that's it. So I'm not inclined to stay at this Motel 6 again. In their favor the area felt safe enough and the staff was pleasant and friendly.

Room Tip: Fourth floor back hall was relatively quiet but street noise was a bit too noticeable - bring ear pl...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Guadalajara, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

I had the disabled room, which meant an enormous bathroom. Although in terms of attractivenenss the bathroom left a bit to be desired, it was very clean.On the second night I stayed I had a problem with the tv - the fix-it person was there literally as soon as I had put the phone down to report the problem, and he fixed it immediately. All of the staff were extremely helpful. The location was fantastic, like maybe 7 mins. walk to the Gaslamp although there's also a bus stop right outside. There was some noise from other guests once or twice, but nothing major at all. Mostly the place was very quiet. If I had a bigger budget I would stay at a swankier place, but I didn't and what I did get was value for money here. There are street people everywhere in San Diego, including about a block away from the hotel, but I never at any time felt any kind of threat from anyuone, exactly the opposite. I live in Mexico and felt extremely safe at all times in SD. Wolud come back here.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Gunnison, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

In addition to being in a great location at a great price, this is not your run-of-the-mill Motel 6. It started at the lobby – relatively sleek and with a view of an outdoor plaza with nice tropical plants. The hallways were newly carpeted. The real shocker was the rooms though – very modern décor and simple with a European or Asian feel. Although small, I found the room soothing and pleasant, and the bed comfortable. They also had plenty of parking (although getting into some of the spots was tight). On the downside, the shower was low (I’m tall) and had poor water pressure. The bathroom door was awkwardly placed, and had to be kept closed to enable passing through the room. The front desk staff was generally civil but there was sometimes an undercurrent of surliness. The most annoying event was how hot our room would be by the time we returned in the evening, the vents seemed to be blowing hot air although the heat wasn’t on. The maid did seem to turn up the AC pretty high (75 or 80) but that was about the outside temperature and the room felt a lot hotter than that. We’d have to crank the AC down to 60 and open windows to air it out. Overall, this motel is well worth its price.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012 via mobile

I spent one night at this hotel, and while the location is handy, the rooms are both dated, and not well cleaned.

To go into detail, the piece of gum left on a shelf and the rather mildew encrusted shower head left me somewhat concerned about the rest if the room.

The good news, the girl at the front desk was very pleasant, and the price was affordable.

I would not chose to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2012
Everett WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

We returned for another visit in February. (last visited in 2008) They have remodeled and we really liked the new decor. It is clean and simple and very European. I understand why some call it spartan and not homey, but we actually thought it was great. The staff was wonderful and we had a great stay. We could walk to everything and yet it was convenient to I-5 when we wanted to go farther afield. Great stay.

Room Tip: We like staying on the 4th floor. Higher up means less street noise.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
London & Birmingham UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

Please note - the overall rating I have given for the property reflects the stupidity of the Motel 6 website - not the actual quality of the hotel, room or staff. It's cheap, cheerful and good value for money if there's one or two of you - just don't bring a kid!

The dumb Motel 6 website allows you to cheerfully book a child in a motel that doesn't have room for them! At no stage were we warned that the property could not accommodate children in any way, shape or form. Staff didn't even have a rollaway bed for emergencies. We were told that it 'happens a lot'. Morons.

Whilst I'm grateful that the member of staff helped us move the next night to the other Motel 6 across town (after asking her to call and move us), it was still a totally unnecessary stressful situation to be placed in. This should not have happened. This is basic for a hotel website. It cost us time, money, inconvenience with moving luggage and worry. We were lucky as they had one room left. Had we left it until the morning to book, I think we would have been stuffed.

Three of us crammed into a bed for the night, because we were too tired to care after a long drive. On the positive side, the room was very clean, fast (chargeable) Wifi, large range of TV channels but a little cramped.

Our room was on the top floor which was away from the noise. Parking is right next door (free with a permit) and you can get a great takeaway pizza from the restaurant behind the motel and water/milk from the nearby petrol station.

Buyer beware if you have small ones with you and use the Motel 6 website to book.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Motel 6 San Diego Downtown? Share your experiences!