“Another good Worldmark stay . . .” 4 of 5 stars
Review of WorldMark San Diego - Mission Valley

You added WorldMark San Diego - Mission Valley to your Saves list
WorldMark San Diego - Mission Valley
425 Camino Del Rio South, San Diego, CA 92108 (Formerly Oakwood Apartments Mission Valley)   |
Ranked #195 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersBronze level
Venice, California
“Another good Worldmark stay . . .”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Stayed at the Worldmark Mission Valley location this past weekend. Pros: accomodations were very nice (two bedroom, two bath unit); pool area was also nice and clean - though somewhat small - and included a nice hot jacuzzi; staff was helpful, friendly and knowledgeable about the area; and I noticed different events were held each day (crafts for the kids, waffle breakfast, etc.) Cons: this location is somewhat out of the way and if you don't have a car, this might be a problem. But, the main things you'd want to go to are within a short driving distance depending on traffic, such as the Gaslight District, San Diego harbor, Shelter Island area, etc. There's a gas station and a Benihana Restaurant close by, and easy access to the freeway. Depending on why I'm going to San Diego, I would definitely stay here again (as long as I have a car).

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Sherry M, General Manager at WorldMark San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Thank you for the kind words about our resort and staff. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. I agree that while our property is ideally located for exploring all of San Diego's attractions, having a vehicle is more convenient as we are not in the downtown area. Again, thank you for reaching out and we look forward to your next visit.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Troutdale, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Upon checking in, you are directed to a "Welcome" desk to get your parking permit and coupons for discounts at local restaurants. You also fill out an information card, at which time they ask if you are interested in receiving a $100 visa gift card, for attending a 90 minute presentation. I said "sure, why not?". They make an appointment, and have you sign a form that says "In the unlikely event the gift promised is not available, a gift of equal or greater value will be substituted". I signed my form and went to my room. About 15 minutes later, I got a note under my door, to contact the lady from the welcome desk. I went down there and she says, "I am sorry, the $100 gift card is not available, I can give you a three day, two night vacation voucher or a $50 gift card. I was corrected by my Sales Manager, our requirements are very strict and it was a mistake to offer you the $100 card."
I am not sure what could have changed the gift amount. It was after 8pm so I doubt the requirements changed right then. I am not married. I am retired. I stated my household income. I was only staying one night, and they wanted me to attend the presentation at 10:00am. Checkout is at Noon, so I decided to change my appointment to 12:30pm. I figured, since they were changing what was promised, I could change stuff too. I am Native American, and have long hair, and two feathers tattooed on the back of my left arm. I have to wonder if the fact that I am not white had anything to do with being lied to. I had planned on making a big scene if I found that everyone else was getting the $100 visa card. They were, I decided to be the better person. So I lied to the sales guy instead. Told him I was on a pre sentence release looking at 3 to 5 years so I couldn't make any commitments right now. You get what you give buddy.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Sherry M, General Manager at WorldMark San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We are disappointed to hear your interaction with the resort staff did not meet your expectations, as this is not part of the Count On Me service we take pride in. I will share your comments regarding the change in gift card offer with our Sales and Marketing Managers and take the necessary actions to ensure this is not an issue for future guests. Again, thanks for taking the time to reach out.
Anaheim, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

My girlfriend invited me to this resort and I wasn't very impressed.

First, it's in the middle of no where. The only restaurant walking distance is Benihana and a coffee shop about a block away. Therefore, you must have a car. Granted, its assumed you'll have a car, but there's many other locations where you don't need one... this one, you do!

There is a huge shopping plaza about a mile away, and walkable if you must. I think the hotel suggests a shuttle service or taxi, which will cost you a few bucks, I'm sure.

The resort was just ok. The staff doesn't seem to maintain the grounds. Luggage carts were left in the middle of the hallway. Yes, the guests could have taken them back to the lobby, but it just goes to show you even guests don't seem to respect the property. In the garage was a pile of crushed cereal that some guests' kid must have dropped. No one swept it, and since it was at the entrance of the elevator, people would step on it, creating more of a mess. It was very poor "show" on the property's part.

Our room was 312, located on the 3rd floor. No real view and located near the recycle bin area, so little flies kept flying into our room. My Gf called the front desk, hoping they'd relocate us. Instead, they gave us a flyswatter! The gnats were smaller than the swatter holes, therefore useless. The staff never addressed the gnat problem, and I found that poor customer service. Not once did they leave a note, apologize, or followed up. They knew we were there for 1 night, so why bother? I feel bad for the next victims.

The only toiletry item we got was 1 tiny bar of soap per bathroom. Not even shampoo.

Location-wise, this place is about 15-20 minutes to the San Diego attractions. It was about 16 minutes to Little Italy, and about the same to Qualcomm.

Its freeway close but for the points you have to pay, there's much better options when you're in San Diego.

Grade: C- / D+

Room Tip: Away from the elevator and trash cans.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Sherry M, General Manager at WorldMark San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
I am so sorry to hear about your experience and had to spend even a minute of your vacation dealing withgants. I know there is a certain level of satisfaction expected when staying at our properties and you did not receive this. Please rest assured I will have our housekeeping staff address these concerns with our pest control provider to avoid any future occurrences. Thank you for making us aware. I was also disappointed to hear your interaction with the resort staff did not meet your expectations, as this is not part of the Count On Me service we take pride in at Wyndham. It is imperative that our guests are treated well. Allthough a unit change is rarley available due to our high occupancy, I will be sharing you comments with our Guest Service team so we can improve our level of service. Again, thanks for taking the time to reach out.
Roseville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Staff was very Friendly accommodated all my requests. We arrived early one day and had our luggage stored we asked for the top floor facing the back wall and the staff made sure that happened, we stayed for four nights and enjoy every thing about the hotel. The room was clean and the pool was fun. The location is wonderful as we went to Mexico, La Jolla, Mission beach, and down to the pier, try the Fish Market, the food was wonderful, plus the mall across the freeway has everything you need, from great restaurants to trader joes, what else could you ask for.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Sherry M, General Manager at WorldMark San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Thank you Sally for the kind words. I will share these with our staff. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. San Diego is such a great vacation city and as you mentioned our location is ideal for exploring our many sites. Again, thank you for reaching out and we look forward to your next visit.
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I was horrified by my experience at the sales presentation on 3/25/14 for the ownership program.You see I own many timeshares with the Marriott but I wanted to learn about WorldMark points system. When I learn that for 20,000 point was a lease for 40 years (WorldMark would take it back at the end of the 40 years and you get nothing) will cost $64,000!!!! I was no longer interested. I was then called a LIAR by the salesperson because at the beginning of the presentation he had asked me "If it was a good deal would you buy one" and of course I said yes. If it was a good deal every one would want one!!! After providing a negative review on the post-presentation survey, I was shocked when Joe, the manager, asked me to CHANGE my survey responses from “POOR” to “GOOD” and then attempted to convince me that my review was going to hurt the salesperson and his family that relied on his income. I was so DISGUSTED with this level of CUSTOMER SERVICE They both have no business being in customer service field!!!

Also at check in our room was not ready and we had to wait for hours. Once we where in the room there were no shampoo or conditioner; this is a standard expectation. And don't expect to enjoy watching any movies - the sound on the TV kept going in and out. When we called the front desk, they said we would have to call back in the morning because the maintenance staff was gone for the night. Seriously? The front desk should have put in a maintenance/service request for the next day and not tell me to call back tomorrow. I'm on vacation here!!! I don't think Worldmark understand what CUSTOMER SERVICE is.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. I am disappointed to hear your interaction with the resort staff did not meet your expectations, as this is not part of the Count On Me service we take pride in. We know that while on vacation it is imperative that our guests are treated well. I assure you that I will be taking the necessary actions so this is not an issue for future guests. Again, thanks for taking the time to reach out.
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

We have been at this location for a week and have a few days left on our stay. I cannot wait to leave.
Until two nights ago, I would have rated this property 4 or even 5 stars. What changed is that we got new neighbors below us, and have learned that the resort does not enforce their quiet hours and that smoking on patios and balconies allows the smoke to come right into the windows of adjacent units. Our new neighbors are apparently nocturnal, because we hear nothing from them during the day but then at night, they party and swear loudly and slam their patio door over and over again while having loud conversations on their patio and smoking into our windows. They also have a baby who does not sleep through the night and whom screamed at the top of her lungs last night for hours on end as her family mimicked her and laughed and yelled over her screams. A mostly quiet and peaceful stay turned into a big city, close-living, ghetto experience. So, it's the luck of the draw. Calls to the front desk were answered by a kind and empathetic attendant who could do absolutely nothing.

This experience has lead to another complaint about the resort that wasn't even a complaint until today... our unit is very musty and must have a window or two open to air out at all times. When we come back from even an hour away, when the windows and sliding door have been locked tight, it smells like a sweaty gym sock. This is even with a blower running on fan speed to bring in and circulate outside air. It is disgusting.

So now, with smoking neighbors, we are realizing that we must choose between sleeping in a gym shoe or an ashtray. (Or not sleeping at all, if those neighbors are also noisy and have a baby who does not sleep through the night.)

Otherwise, the property is decent. It is quite clean and the staff are mostly courteous, however ineffectual. The pool is small and chilly, but that hasn't kept my children dry. :) The underground parking has been appreciated.

However, as it stands and as long as smoking is allowed and noise rules are not enforced, we will not be returning, much less buying into the program.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side are quieter than those overlooking the pool or shared patios, but lower two f...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
I am so sorry about the inconvenience from neighboring guests. I know it is important to feel completely relaxed when on vacation. We do have onsite security that are trained to enforce quite hours, I will research the noise calls you made to our front desk further to see what was done and what more could be done in future. I also apologize that smoke was blowing back into your unit. Please feel free to reach out to anyone in management during your stay if this occurs in the future so that we can look at options while you are still onsite. We are happy to do what we can in making your stay as comfortable as possible.
Freedom, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

We exchanged here through RCI. We had a 2BR unit for the two of us. There was ample space for 4 but not sure if it would have been comfortable for 6. The unit was very nice and the kitchen was well furnished. Location was outstanding for seeing San Diego. I5 was just a few minutes away, but you couldn't hear a thing! Major shopping on the other side of the highway as well. Parking in a secured garage underground.

Wireless internet was available for a fee, but I used my phone as a hotspot so don't know how good it was.

Several gas grills by the pool area made for easy dinner!

Fitness area was okay, several cardio machines, but no one seemed to be using when we were, so it was plenty! Hot tub and pool were small for the size of the resort.

The carpet in the dining area of our unit was torn and needed to be replaced/fixed. Was surprised that only soap was provided in the bathroom - no shampoo, so bring your own.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Sherry M, General Manager at WorldMark San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. I am aware of the carpet issue you mention and we are in the process of getting this repaired. We look forward to your next visit.

Been to WorldMark San Diego - Mission Valley? Share your experiences!