“Incredible Tofu & More” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
“Incredible Tofu & More”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Thankfully my cousin talked me into trying this restaurant. She described it as Asian Fusion and it was certainly memorable. We enjoyed the beet salad, mango chicken and ice cream ending. My cousin ordered the mock-chicken mango & pepper dish which she shared - proving beyond any doubt that this place has FANTASTIC tofu. Unfortunately, I am a whimpy eater when it comes to spices, so I ordered everything a zero. The amazing part is that it was still delicious - very delicious. We had a drink that looked like a creamy carrot juice - sweet and delicious. While I will never rival the exploits of Andrew Bourdain, Dao Fu was a truly satisfying food adventure for this plain Jane girl. You should try it!

Visited June 2013

San Diego, California
“A combination of Vietnamese & Japanese Cuisine-Scrumptious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Asian dishes with delightful tastes in this small neighborhood of San Diego. Both non-vegetarian and vegetarian dishes are featured on the menu....and homemade tofu for the vegetarians. I return to this restaurant periodically and am always pleased with my choices.....in fact an almost "plate licking" desire when finished....and very affordable. YUM!

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Awesome vegetarian menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I used a restaurant.com certificate, and maybe because of the forced 18% gratuity, the service was just not great. Slow and we had to ask for everything. The vegetarian menu is awesome though! They also give you free salad and free ice cream dessert. The food is good, so I'd definitely would go back.

Visited November 2012
San Diego, California
“Affordable Dinner Date”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

The ambience at Tao is lovely; dimly lit and intimate. Has potential to be TOO intimate as me and the Ol' Man were sat VERY close to another couple. We basically had dinner with another couple. Needless to say, it was a litle awkward and it inhibited dinner conversation. Tao takes reservations for parties of six plus. We arrived at 6:30 P.M. on a Thursday and were promptly seated. Over the course of our meal, the tiny restaurant was full so I can see how one could wait a little bit during the lunch and dinner rushes. Overall the ambience was a nice change of pace. It made for a romantic, special feeling that one just can't get at big chain restaurant.

The food is tasty and affordable. I had the Shrimp Lemongrass with half jasmine, half wild rice. The shrimp was tasty and the rice had flavors of thyme and nutmeg (my best guess). As the rice sopped up the sauce, it became a bit salty for my liking, but tasty overall. The Ol' Man had one of their stir-fried noodle dishes. The noodles were crispy and very tasty. Their spice meter is slightly higher than what one might think, but the servers will be able to help you out. The Ol' Man swore the spiciness was dead on, but his runny nose as he approached mid-meal told me otherwise. ;)

The restaurant honored a gift certificate/coupon had purchased online; no questions asked. The server recognized it instantly and asked to take it. I saw many others with the same coupon. Parking might be tricky, but nothing to cry about. The furthest I've ever had to park in this area is one block off Adams Ave.

If you're in my hood, come through to Tao!

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Montgomery, Alabama
“I am a new vegetarian, and quite impressed!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

Deciding to become vegetarian a few months ago was kind of a scary and confusing thing, but I knew it was something I wanted to do. Tao was on my list of restaurants to try in the area that offer specifically prepared vegetarian dishes, and I am so glad I did. It is smaller than I expected but that was cool since the people sitting next to us in the middle of the place on either side were quite entertaining; there is a separate but long table in the middle and smaller tables around the wall areas. The salad was delicious with what I think was pomegranate or cranberry dressing, and perfectly cooked tofu. We ordered vegetarian spring rolls, eaten with lettuce leaves, mint, cilantro and dipped in a light sauce, which was a lovely idea. We were asked how spicy we liked our entree and I picked a 7 then ordered the mango "chicken" and my dinner companion ordered the pork chop. The brown rice, which had wild rice in it, was the best I have ever had. Plates were huge with eye-catching presentation and the flavors were outstanding (I wish I had taken a picture now). Dessert to go was green tea ice cream, which I always wanted to try, and it was smooth and tasty. Service was excellent, prices were reasonable, and the location had good parking. I am spreading the word but hope I can still get a seat!

• Visited May 2012