“Closing down and that sucks” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Del Mar Heights Road
Description: Searsucker's atmosphere is relaxed and inviting with an emphasis on approachable and unpretentious dishes. The New American Classic menu features everything from comfort food with unexpected ingredients to lighter coastal fare. The space includes stylish decor that is both modern and rustic, comfy sofas and a firepit in the open back bar area for guests to sip and socialize, and a private dining room that can hold up to 48 people. The music, lighting and layout of the space creates a one-of-a-kind social dining experience.
Oceanside, California
“Closing down and that sucks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

It totally figures that I finally make it to Burlap and now its closing. I am totally bummed, we were sitting there talking about how beautiful and awesome it was and were just saying that we should add this to the rotation of places we frequent when our bartender told us that in a week they will be closed.

The food was beautiful and delicious. The drinks were awesome and bottomless (mimosas with brunch) and the decor was amazing! Loved the whole place inside and out. The service was really good considering they just got some really awful news.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

65% Recommend
Encinitas, California
“A surprisingly good find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Since reviews are relative to the individuals giving them, I like to start with a little background. We are a late 30's, early 40's couple who were having date night away from the kids. We weren't looking for a fancy restaurant or a club or bar scene. We've traveled the world and long for the type of restaurants you can get in NY, San Francisco, Vegas, etc., of which there are very few in North County San Diego.

It's difficult to find a good restaurant with a decent vibe in San Diego. Surprisingly (at least to us), Burlap fit the bill. Although a bit eclectic (I don't get the Western theme with Asian food), the decor and ambiance were fairly hip, the crowd was fun and nicely dressed and the food was quite good. We are big fans of Asian fusion food, and Burlap did an excellent job. We had the tuna and jalapeno appetizer (not as good as Nobu, but still very good), miso cod (not as good as the miso sea bass as Tao in NY or Vegas, but still excellent), and the Thai brussel sprouts with sausage (I HATE, repeat HATE, brussel sprouts, but this was one of the best vegetable dishes I've ever had). The cocktail menu was a bit strange for us, so we stuck with skinny margaritas, which were excellent. The dessert was the only disappointment. The coffee ice cream on the Dirty Del Mar was overpowering (then again, I like coffee ice cream about as much as I like brussel sprouts). Vanilla would have been a better choice.

On a final note, the service was exceptional. I've read some reviews that it's too pricey. I did not find it any more expensive than comparable restaurants. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for, and I've gotten a lot less for a lot more from other places. Overall, we had a great experience and will definitely return.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Poway, CA
“Better than it's rated”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

As I write this, Burlap is at #565 in restaurants in San Diego. Now, San Diego certainly has its share of fine restaurants, but NOT 564 that are better than Burlap! Perhaps it's too new to have worked itself up the TA charts, but this place will be near the top before too long, I predict. The food is all very good to superb, and the menu is inspired. Yes, the atmosphere is loud as some others mentioned, the clientele is younger and very upscale, and it isn't cheap. I for one will cerinly be back, and there's actually not that many places I'm willing to say that about.

Visited May 2013
San
“Malarkey at his finest”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

An asian twist on all things seafood (with some turf items to boot). Only downside is the price but its Del Mar. So yea, roll with it.

Visited April 2013
San Diego, California
“Unique menu items in a unique setting.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

I've been for brunch and dinner and both were worth a trip to this Asian/Western fusion restaurant. The menu items are inventive and well prepared. The dishes have small portions, but the sheer size of the selection of food and drinks makes up for it.

• Visited June 2012