“Nothing special” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #142 of 269 hotels in San Diego
Northern California
“Nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I booked a room here mainly because of the location and that the rooms were recently renovated and did not have carpeting. The rooms did not have a bad odor like a lot of motel rooms.

However, even though there was an elevator, it was not working while I was there, so I had to haul my suitcase up the stairs to the second floor. Since my room was in the rear of the motel, it was fairly quiet at night. It was a very small room, and was difficult to move around in. Since I was alone, that was less of a problem. If I had had someone else with me, it would have been very cramped. The bathroom was very large, however, and had a tub.

The bed was too soft for me. The towels in the room had stains on them and there was only one washcloth that was stained and partly shredded, so I asked for additional towels and washcloths, which seemed cleaner. the maid I spoke with was very helpful.

The wireless internet never worked for me while I was there. When I complained to the front desk clerk, she just said she would give me the tech support number I would have to call to try to get it to work. Since I did not have time for that, I never got connected.

I did see a couple of bugs in the room while I was there, but nothing major. I went to the breakfast room one morning only, and found the selection very limited, so did not try to eat there again.

The rates were not very low, since it was a holiday weekend. The weekday rate was about half of the Saturday night rate. The location was good for me, but don't think I will stay there again.

Room Tip: Pick a room in the rear for more quiet at night. The rooms with two beds appeared much larger than...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
RedRoofMgmt, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Pacific Beach, San Diego, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Thank for your input. I would like to clarify the internet service issue that you had, since it may help you regardless of which hotel you may stay at in the future. If you are encountering internet access issues on your laptop, typically hotel mgmt will check that it is not a system wide outage and then make sure it is not a localized outage. Once those are eliminated as a possibility, the High Speed Internet company that the hotel is using usually provides individualized support to guest specific problems (it could be your settings etc.) This is why our Guest Service Reps would have referred you then to the support line.

111 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

My family of three stayed here overnight on our way from SF to SD. All went very well; starting with friendly and efficient check in, lovely modern furnishings in a spotlessly clean room, nice pool (although small). Immediate area a bit boring but very short distance to all amenities Seaworld, Old Town, Pacific Beach, La Jolla etc. If you are looking for a hotel in San Diego, then look no further.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the positive feedback, and we sincerely hope you visit us again soon in "America's Finest City!"
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

I picked this hotel mostly because it was pet friendly but the hotel in general was great. The rooms dont have carpet so it didnt have gross smells from other pets. The woman who checked us in also gave us a list of pet friendly parks and dog beaches which was very helpful. The breakfast was standard continental but great for a quick morning bite before going about our day. We had a few minor issues like the lights in our room not working but the front desk lady (red hair) came up within a few minutes and fixed the issue. Parking was tight but it was free and since we didnt brin our own computer we used the one in the lobby. Overall a great stay.

• Stayed July 2012
Tucson, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Stayed here in July 2012, towels were ripped and had holes, then they started to disappear each night we stayed. Last night we stayed, I had to go to the front desk because we had 0 (zero) towels in the room. Room as not really clean (needed a deep scrubbing). The parking lot was hard to get in and out of, vendor trucks parked in the way making it difficult to leave on any day. The free breakfast was a joke. Not enough room for anyone to sit. I also sent an email to the Company regarding this hotel and they didn't even respond to me. Shows how much they care......

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Upon a review of our records regarding your stay, I can confirm that we had provided towels for you upon your request at the front desk on one night, and that we believed the matter to be settled to your satisfaction when you accepted the discount at the time of checkout that you had requested. We apologize again for any inconvience this may have caused you, and we thank you for staying with us (multiple nights).
Henderson, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Stayed at the Red Roof Inn San Diego. The room was tiny, one chair only. If you used the chair no-one could walk around the bed. Expensive for the size.
The coffee maker still had the used coffee grounds from the last visitor. The sink in our bathroom (unit 303) had a hole rusted completely through large enough to put your fist through ( I have a photo). We could clearly hear our neighbor through the thin walls.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Not only easy access off I-5 to beautiful Mission Bay area, but also easy access to room on ground floor for my 91-year-old Mom, with grab bars in bathroom, and elevator to 3rd floor breakfast room. Room was clean and well equipped (microwave, refrig, coffee maker), with (reportedly!) comfortable bed. Front desk staff were all very friendly and accommodating. Good value for facility and location.

Corona, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

This was a last minute trip during home repairs and we needed to be gone... We have stayed at RRF Inns before and had a good experience. This happened to be the week with Comic.con so rooms were kind of scarse for Best Western and prices under $150 a night.. The linens were clean and the room did not smell, the shower was great. The cons? We found an open can of 7-Up in our fridge! Only 2 wash cloths for the 3 of us. The first morning we found a double edge razor blade on the floor between the beds. It wasn't there before we went to bed. I can only guess it was on the bed cover and flipped to the floor when we took it off. Otherwise, you get what you pay for, sort of. This room was $125 and not in a pricey area. I did expect a bit more for our money. Got ** from AAA.. So we slept and showered - it worked, just pricey. The map I looked at showed this on a corner of Mission Bay. Not! It was a busy area next to car dealers. Location was OK as it was about 15 minutes from big attraction areas and right off of the I-5 but not noisey...

Room Tip: Check the hotel location carefully..
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Red Roof Inn - Pacific Beach, San Diego? Share your experiences!