“Cool beach side Inn.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #114 of 273 Hotels in San Diego
Provo, Utah
“Cool beach side Inn.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

I loved this hotel! Spent a few nights here with my wife on holiday. We wanted to escape the winter and go to the beach. This was the perfect destination. Our room was very comfortable, and had a beach-house feel to it. It was just a short walk to Pacific beach which was beautiful! The service was nice as well. The only downsides were the lack of parking at the hotel and the very basic breakfast danishes. Though I liked it, there seemed to be tons of other hotels in the area I'd like to try. But I'd definitely recommend this place to anybody! Especially families.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
jimsilver, General Manager at PB Surf Beachside Inn, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank you for staying with us! We hope you will come and stay with us again the next time you visit the beach! The parking is very limited, however, we do have another parking area located one block away which equates to less than a one minute walk. I am looking at ideas to help make the breakfast a better experience. When we took this property, there was no breakfast, so giving a simple continental was something we felt was better than not doing anything. But, I am experimenting with maybe some cereal or fruit as well. Being that I have a very limited area in the lobby, we are trying to have the breakfast in the courtyard area on the weekends. My one concern is the noise. If this works, I think the breakfast will be more enjoyable. Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Ahwatukee, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

We stayed here for a few days on a Groupon deal. I was very happy with how clean the room was and how close it was to the beach. Parking was cramped but the location and rooms made up for it. Definitely planning to stay there next trip to San Diego.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
jimsilver, General Manager at PB Surf Beachside Inn, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
Please let us know about your previous visit with us! We do offer a return rate for that, and hope you will continue to choose us in the future!!
Aurora, Colorado, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Let me preface this review by saying that I really do not like being negative, but I hope my review will help others plan their travel.
I work hard for my money, so when I go to spend it on a vacation, I hope that it will be well worth it. Unfortunately this place was not worth the ridiculous money spent to stay there. I splurged on a "suite" because there were three grown adults in our party, but I was severely mislead by the good writing on their website. The 'suite' is so tiny and the sofa bed was the worst I've ever slept on. The walls are paper thin and we were woken up by a drunk girl screaming profanities at 3, 4, and 5 am and it sounded like she was practically in our room. If you're expecting a warm welcome, or even a welcome at all or staff who seems grateful for customers, this is not the place for you. The other people in my party arrived earlier than me and wanted to stay an extra night. You would think that the staff would be thankful for someone wanting to spend hundreds of dollars more with them, but no, that wasn't the case, they were rude. Also, you'd figure with such high prices that you might get free wifi... also not the case. You have to pay for that too. Oh, and 'continental breakfast' is coffee and danishes. That's it.
The positives about this place: the location is wonderful. Just a very short walk to the rec path and stairs down to the beach. They have a rooftop patio that was nice for breakfast or watching the sunset. The updates to the room are pretty good, but again, the rooms are extremely cramped.
Overall it was okay, but not worth the money and the location was the only thing that saved me from wanting to switch hotels.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Yes, we are very happy and excited that you decided to stay with us, and I apologize if that wasn't apparent to you. I seriously stress the customer service throughout the property, in all areas of the staff. I will definitely read this review to each and every one of my staff during our monthly training meeting. Thank you for your comments!
As for the rates, we are generally priced somewhere in the middle range for our type of property in the Pacific Beach area. Suites are generally more though. I have finally gotten some approval for free WiFI, and do know how important that service is for my guests.
I hope you will come back again, and if you decide to, please call us directly, and let us know you stayed before.
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

I stay there four days for a relaxing weekend in PB. The area is nice, and the location of the hotel could be better. I like this concept in a hotel in which you stay in a room in separate cabins. But at the end the stay wasn't as pleasant as I expected. First, parking is a problem there. What it worst, I told to the man in the reception desk that there was not parking in the whole complex, and he laughed at me saying that he could do nothing, because it was Friday night and it is usually full. What a lack of professionalism! Second, the corridor close to our room was dirty for three days. The "semi-continental" breakfast it is really small and poor... that's fine, I don't want a French croissant... but there is NOT a SINGLE TABLE in the whole hotel to eat it (and inside the room there was only one chair). The AC inside the room is old and crazy noisy. Anyway, as I said nice location, nice hotel and room, but I think there are a lot of things to improve for a hotel in which you pay $110 per night.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
I just had security doors installed in the courtyard area to allow tables and chairs to be placed inside for that purpose. I have been working towards that goal since we renovated. I'm sorry it has taken so long. But, we do have three tables with four chairs located on the sun deck! I realize most people do not know about that, and hope that more will after reading this. In fact, the delivery will be by July 10th at the latest. We did renovate, and are finally working towards improving other aspects of the guest experience. I think many good things will be happening soon! Thank you for staying with us! I hope you will come back again!
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Just stayed here after purchasing a 3 night stay on Groupon. This place is GREAT! It is a very nice little inn and I am very glad that I found it on Groupon. I will definitely stay here again. We had a queen room on the ground floor in the courtyard area. The rooms are newly updated with great bathrooms. The beach is VERY close! and it is also in a fabulous location. Easy access to local attractions and a lot of shops in the area near the hotel. It is a good place to walk around for shopping, dining or just enjoying PB. One important factor is that parking can fill up at night, but less than a block up the street is their sister location that has more parking, a pool and laundry if needed. I parked at the inn all nights except one, but it was no big deal. It is seriously just a few minutes to walk from the sister location. Another important thing to point out was they have rooms for disable people. We reserved a room for disabled people because my mother was going to stay with us (she ended up not able to come at last minute), the shower was perfect for her wheelchair and it had a seat in it; however, had she come with us we would have had a tough time getting her into bed as it was pretty high off the floor. Perhaps they could consider lower beds for those rooms. Overall though I absolutely loved it, it was perfect.

Room Tip: * rooms in the courtyard were quiet and away from the roads.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Wow!! Thank you for the really nice review!! We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, and noticed that we do take our guests with wheel chairs very seriously. As for the beds, they are so high, but we will always remove one if the request is made. Thank you, again! I hope we will see you again the next time you are in San Diego!
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

My partner and I stayed here for a few nights as part of a trip around California combined with a friends wedding. The hotel is very close to the beach and has plenty of nice breakfast options near by - we enjoyed walking along the beach and seeing the surf competitions going on. The room was clean and comfortable and the staff pleasant. We had hired a car and had no issues with parking, and driving into San Diego (although stressful as on the right hand side) was easy and parking wad easy to find. We couldn't believe it was free to park in Balboa park! I would recommend this hotel to anyone enjoying a short break in SD, cheaper than La Jolla, just as nice beaches and close to lots of attractions.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
It sounds like you really enjoyed your stay in San Diego! This is such a great place to have a nice time! I'm happy you had no issues with our parking, but if you had, we do offer additional parking just one short black away. And yes, with how parking is in San Diego, I am always surprised to hear that the Zoo and Balboa Park has free parking! I hope we will see you again soon!
Goodyear, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

The rooms are clean and modern with HUGE showers. We were surprised at how updated everything was and the size of the TVs were insane! Less then a block from the beach the location was absolutely perfect. There was also a water faucet outside to rinse feet and shoes off to limit the sand you brought back to your room. The only complaint was the breakfast, it starts a little later then stated for one reason or another it really wasn't a big deal but when you have time crunching travelers every minute counts.

Room Tip: Look on Groupon for occasional lower rates.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
jimsilver, General Manager at PB Surf Beachside Inn, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
Thank you for your comments. I know, some of the TVs are really large, and I think they come as a surprise to many. We do apologize for the late breakfast start. Because we are closed at night a majority of the time, we depend 100% on the morning person being prompt. I have someone working almost every night now that will enable us to be able to set up everything on time regardless of the morning person's schedule. Thank you again!