“Cute, Clean, Modern w/ good location” 3 of 5 stars

PB Surf Beachside Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4760 Mission Blvd, San Diego, CA 92109-2539   |
Ranked #95 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Sacramento, California
“Cute, Clean, Modern w/ good location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

The motel was very clean, appeared newly remodeled. Parking was ok and although it was limited we did manage to find a place. The only downfall is that I am only 5'0 tall and the bed was so high I had to literally "jump" up on it so it was a bit of a hassle, otherwise it was very comfortable and it could use 4 pillows instead of only 3. They advertise breakfast, but it was only stale pastries, lousy coffee and some kind of juice. We didn't have room service, but we requestd clean towels and coffee. Got clean towels but he didn't have coffee ;(.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
jimsilver, General Manager at PB Surf Beachside Inn, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
The beds are fairly high. After our renovation, we noticed that the new bed frames we had custom made were leaving the beds either too low or too high. For aesthetics, we chose to go with the higher look. The pastries come from a bakery every morning, so I'm not really sure how the pastries were stale. Anyway, thank you for staying with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Thousand Oaks, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the last year. It is completely updated so it is a wonderful place to stay in PB. The location is perfect. You're very close to the beach and all the bars and restaurants in PB. The service isn't that wonderful. The guy at the front desk couldn't find our reservation and acted like it was our problem. He made me call expedia instead of trying to accommodate us and then tried to charge us more than the rate we paid for. When we asked for a hair dryer he made us come down to the lobby and get it. Unbelievably lazy. However, if you need a clean place to stay in a nice location (with free parking!) and won't be spending a ton of time in the hotel, this is great place to stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
jimsilver, General Manager at PB Surf Beachside Inn, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Thank you for you comments, and this will be used as one of my training props for the month. From the two things you mentioned, we could have performed so much better. We will do better the next time you decide to stay with us. Thank you again!
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Motel was a block from the beach and in a great, safe area. Room was on the smaller side but perfect for two people. Room was very modern, had a comfortable bed and a hot shower. We were also allowed to check in at noon the day we arrived which was great and the staff was very friendly. Only drawback was parking- there were plenty of spots available during the day and around dinner time but when we got back to the motel at 10:30PM all the spots were full so we had to park on the street on the next block over. It wasn't a huge problem but worth noting. We would definitely stay again :)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Yes, the parking is limited, but we do have our sister property located just one block away. I realize it's not at the property you are staying, but it is about a 30 second walk away. Generally, there are enough spaces there to prevent you from parking ion the street. I hope you will stay with us again!
Pasadena, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

This property offers a good bargain for the money. It is comparable to the larger chain hotels in cleanliness and provisions but for considerably less, and within easy walking distance of the beach and good dining. Parking is free but space is limited requiring a hike of a few blocks to their sister property. Our only complaint was that we were given what was probably the worst room (106) in the place for our first night; it was so small we could scarcely walk around the bed and there was no room for any other furniture. There was no counter space in the bathroom, and you could bump your head on the shower door sitting on the toilet. In addition, it is located by the parking lot and subject to loud noise from late night drunken partiers. We inquired about other rooms the next morning and spent the remaining three nights of our stay in room 126 facing the back wall of the property. No view at all, but lots of sunlight, very quiet, and twice as large as the previous room with a desk and extra counter space. The front desk staff were very friendly and accommodating. Just be sure to check the room out first.

Room Tip: Choose a room towards the back (beach) side as these are quieter and in our experience much larger.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
We are very happy that we were able to accommodate you more to your liking after the first night. Sometimes, depending on availability, our options can be very limited. Even though the rooms types are the same, there are obvious differences in the rooms. We do hope you will visit us again soon!
Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

I give this 4 stars only bc it did not have free wifi, but despite that great looking hotel both inside/outside and very friendly staff. Rooms looked brand new, were clean, and were great. Hotel also in great location! Walking distance to several shops and restaurants and only a couple of minutes away from other beaches.

It was my first time out to PB and glad I had a good place to stay. So glad I found a great deal on Groupon but even then I would have not minded paying their average rate! Well worth it

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
I'm glad you were able to take advantage of the Groupon as well, and hope you will stay with us again in the near future! Please do let us know you have stayed with us previously, as this gives you some discount off of our rack rate. Thank you again for your comments!
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

I bought this hotel stay on Groupon and was a little worried about what I might find when I arrived. I am happy to say it's one of the BEST places I have stayed. The room was very clean and pretty! The shower was amazing and the staff is as pleasant as anyone can be! We have stayed in much more expensive places and didn't enjoy it nearly as much. The location is amazing. Very near the Ocean and the Boardwalk! Many shops and restaurants are walking distance. Love, Love, Love everything about the place! One slight issue?? No free WI Fi. Not a problem for me but I think it was $6. and they did say they are working on making it a free charge in the near future. I used my phone so it was not an issue for me.

Room Tip: We stayed in the One Story building and loved the quiet. Parking very close as well to this building...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you!!! Your comments are very nice, and we are striving to be a good clean property with a very friendly staff. The WiFi will be free very soon, and the $6 charge will go away. We definitely hope to see you again soon!
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Friendly staff, spacious and clean bedroom, close to everything you need in PB, awesome location in an amazing city ! I definitely recommend it to all...
Thanks to Allison who helped me and my friend to find this great hotel to stay in.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
jimsilver, General Manager at PB Surf Beachside Inn, responded to this review, April 6, 2014
I'm very happy we were able to help you and Allison with your hotel stay while enjoying our great city! Thank you!!

Been to PB Surf Beachside Inn? Share your experiences!